Lost deer give me your opinion

First-light

Deer was shot running at 30 yards. Shooter could not tell where it was hit. Had blood from impact zone every foot or so. Two really good spots where the deer stopped and 1 bed where there was not much blood. We looked for hours for this deer and could not find it. That bed was the last spot we found blood. The bed is only 50 yards between impact and bed. What do you think?

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

Just so you know, I shot a deer right behind shoulder with my 20g.  Found similar blood with some congealed something. Wasn't sure if it was liver or lungs. It ran 1/4 mile with sporadic blood before dying.  Entry behind shoulder exit about mid body.  Would have been a solid bow shot.  Blew my mind that it traveled that far.  

• Like 1

I've seen brisket hit deer act this way too. They bleed a bunch but it's not real quickly fatal, it's odd that it bedded so quick though if it was brisket, could just be a low shot, it's really difficult to tell where a deer was hit by just the blood trail. I bet if we all put in guesses in most of these type of trails 90% of us would be wrong, there's a lot of places to put a bullet in a deer and from experience a lot of times it's not where you would assume it was. I do agree though, if the deer bedded that soon and you look to have quite a bit of blood, letting that deer bed up for a few hours it would probably not be too difficult to get back on, blood loss will make it too weak to get away very fast if it's still alive after a few hours. Deer are amazingly tough, I've tracked deer with blood like that and I'd have put money on we would find it within 150 yds... 1 mile later and it's still going. Good luck man, I'd definitely get back out there, I would assume that's a dead deer just from the details you provided.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That was opening morning. When I came to help I thought dead deer also. I just can't believe we couldn't find it. Shot at about 7:30 he found the bed around 8:30. The blood was not dark red purpleish like liver. No bubbles in blood. 

Browning 308. I though brisket also. 

Jumped deer thru gut.. 50 yards from impact..deer got up when he got down to look at blood.. Its dead.. Should of followed trails from bed.. It would also head down hill or to water.. Poor decision to look. When he didn't know where he hit it.... 

• Like 2