atv cultivator/harrow

So im already thinking about next year and food plots, this year i bought a tow behind disc harrow and it did not perform as i thought. I ended up using two very very old spring harrows they worked but they need repairs and my guess they wont last, any way i was looking at a some field cultivators speciffically Field tough cultivator model atv470 my ground has some rocks large ones at that, and its not the easiest ground to break up any advise, i have a 570 sportsman that i use to tow with,,,, any advise what to use/buy and a tractor is not an option steep hills would have me praying a tractor does not roll over

Anything to scratch the top couple inches is all you need, just to get seed soil contact. Followed by packing with a roller. A spring harrow works better than a disk for breaking soil. I use both behind my atv and the spring harrow i like better for busting up soil. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 5:56 PM, land 1 said:

So im already thinking about next year and food plots, this year i bought a tow behind disc harrow and it did not perform as i thought. I ended up using two very very old spring harrows they worked but they need repairs and my guess they wont last, any way i was looking at a some field cultivators speciffically Field tough cultivator model atv470 my ground has some rocks large ones at that, and its not the easiest ground to break up any advise, i have a 570 sportsman that i use to tow with,,,, any advise what to use/buy and a tractor is not an option steep hills would have me praying a tractor does not roll over

It's good I'm not the only one. I'm more excited for spring then I am to hunt at this point.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

It's good I'm not the only one. I'm more excited for spring then I am to hunt at this point.

That's how I am too, after the first week or two of gun season my minds switching gears to habitat. 

• Like 1

I'm with you guys, been planning now 3 weeks.  My buddy who does food plots extensively for over 10 years says he has had best luck with 3 pieces of equipment.  Spring tooth cultivator, disc, and cultipacker.  He told me to focus on those 3.  He said the bottom plow turns over way too many dormant seeds and clay.  He said a tiller is impossible where he is because of the rocks.  He told me to take it slow and start there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Taylormike said:

I'm with you guys, been planning now 3 weeks.  My buddy who does food plots extensively for over 10 years says he has had best luck with 3 pieces of equipment.  Spring tooth cultivator, disc, and cultipacker.  He told me to focus on those 3.  He said the bottom plow turns over way too many dormant seeds and clay.  He said a tiller is impossible where he is because of the rocks.  He told me to take it slow and start there.

I agree, when i turned soil, those were my favorites where a tiller wouldn't do so well(rocks). The only downside of the the spring tooth harrow, you'll pull up more rocks than you would like to, and will gather any taller vegetation so you may have to clean the tines of debris... Otherwise works well!

• Like 1

well first time was last year so im no expert but if there is a light steady wind you can do it fairly easy i burned the edges first  on the down wind side so there was a barrier between woods and field ....it did save a lot of work,,, make sure other weeds and woods are green and damp when u burn the dead stuff

FWIW I watch the local farmer use cultivators to break up the ground then hits it with the disc if needed then plants to corn. This is usually after he plants soybeans. He has only plowed the fields once every 4 years I'm guessing just to turn over the soil to get to the better stuff. He has had great yields every year from what he tells us. Also he doesn't use any manure on these fields only soybean, corn and once in awhile he lets it grow up one year no plowing/ground work then the next growing season plow it under.

Edited by chas0218

I use the dead vegetation as a mulch to keep the bare soil from being exposed to the sun and heat. Keeps moisture in. and will break down into soil.

I shy away from burning. Years ago we left camp on one of those hot dry April days after the burning barrel went out. There was not a flame left in the barrel. Drove the 65 mins home, We were not home for 20 mins when the phone rang, it was our neighbors stating they along with the Fire dept just got done fighting a fire that spread through our woods from the burn barrel. The woods were very nice looking and it took off great that year. but for that reason, i leave the prescribed fire for others lol.  

If done right im sure it would never be a hassle, lol but im not one to play with that..

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I use the dead vegetation as a mulch to keep the bare soil from being exposed to the sun and heat. Keeps moisture in. and will break down into soil.

I shy away from burning. Years ago we left camp on one of those hot dry April days after the burning barrel went out. There was not a flame left in the barrel. Drove the 65 mins home, We were not home for 20 mins when the phone rang, it was our neighbors stating they along with the Fire dept just got done fighting a fire that spread through our woods from the burn barrel. The woods were very nice looking and it took off great that year. but for that reason, i leave the prescribed fire for others lol.  

If done right im sure it would never be a hassle, lol but im not one to play with that..

Need fire breaks when doing controlled burns and never on a windy day. Unfortunately where I am there are very few days that aren't windy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Need fire breaks when doing controlled burns and never on a windy day. Unfortunately where I am there are very few days that aren't windy.

Oh I've read up on it and researched it, but after fighting a couple other hot April brush fires in recent years around camp and with what happened to my place. Ill find other ways around it lol

On 12/5/2017 at 6:08 AM, LET EM GROW said:

The only downside of the the spring tooth harrow, you'll pull up more rocks than you would like to, and will gather any taller vegetation so you may have to clean the tines of debris... Otherwise works well!

At least it clears all the junk off the first couple passes and you don't have to pick it all up by hand. I hove my spring tooth hate it brings up rocks love it can get places other things can't. Not to mention it works for scratching up the dirt enough to plant something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Oh I've read up on it and researched it, but after fighting a couple other hot April brush fires in recent years around camp and with what happened to my place. Ill find other ways around it lol

No doubt, I have watched where people use leaf blowers to push the fire around when there is no wind. We haven't done a controlled burn in years but they are effective to remove junk under brush and multiflora rose. God I hate that stuff.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

No doubt, I have watched where people use leaf blowers to push the fire around when there is no wind. We haven't done a controlled burn in years but they are effective to remove junk under brush and multiflora rose. God I hate that stuff.

Yea it killed a lot of Bush Honey Suckle we had growing. it was beautiful after but the shrub has returned. Maybe someday ill do a burn. but probably not for a little while yet. My neighbors were not to appreciative that day..

23 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

At least it clears all the junk off the first couple passes and you don't have to pick it all up by hand. I hove my spring tooth hate it brings up rocks love it can get places other things can't. Not to mention it works for scratching up the dirt enough to plant something.

I love mine also. I have a 6' setup. When it digs, it makes my 450 Honda work for it, But my 28hp CAT tractor owns it. Reminds me to get that thing fixed and ready to go for spring. I've got a huge awesome looking game plan going for spring.. That tractor would make easier work no doubt, compared to the quad. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...