Albany Times Union Story on a Hunter

Rebel Darling

http://m.timesunion.com/local/article/Hunter-s-season-of-agony-ends-big-12408167.php
A reminder for safety harnesses, as well as some positive hunting portrayal in a general interest newspaper.
I am too much of a pu**y to use a climber with no safety harness. I admittedky don't use them often when using a ladder stand

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

he is really lucky.  But no joke I change all of the ratchet stars on my ladders every other year.  Take as few chances as I have to.  

I had a ratchet strap snap on me last season when I was near the top of my ladder, climbing up in the dark it almost knocked me off my ladder and put my heart in my throat. After that I put new ratchet straps on all my ladderstands but I also reinforced all my ladderstands at the top with a rubber coated cable lock pulled snuggly around the tree.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

I had a ratchet strap snap on me last season when I was near the top of my ladder, climbing up in the dark it almost knocked me off my ladder and put my heart in my throat. After that I put new ratchet straps on all my ladderstands but I also reinforced all my ladderstands at the top with a rubber coated cable lock pulled snuggly around the tree.

The cables are a great idea.  My crew was actually talking about that in deer camp this season as well.  Just some plastic coated aviation cable would work well.  

Nylon straps, was it a lone wolf climber? There have been several stories of them snapping

Unsure of the make of stand, but my LW hand climber has a plastic-like material for the straps, not nylon.

At 280 lbs, that fella is testing the upper limits of most stands, and it's probably a good idea to replace all straps each year with that kind of strain on that nylon webbing.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebel Darling said:

At 280 lbs, that fella is testing the upper limits of most stands, and it's probably a good idea to replace all straps each year with that kind of strain on that nylon webbing.

I was thinking the same thing, I would be replacing the nylon for a chain if it were me. A lot of stands boast 300lbs. limit but if I were only 20 lbs. from the weight limit I wouldn't feel comfortable. I'm 190 so being 110lbs. under the limit on my stands it doesn't bother me using a nylon strap. I think even some of the cheap straps are only rated to 400lbs. I fell out once while climbing down. I was using branches as steps and of course it was at the top and fell 22' to the ground landing on my pack. I honestly think the pack saved me from hurting myself and cushioned my fall with my jacket and seat inside. Long story short I only use screw in steps and ladder sticks.

Either way I'm glad he didn't hurt himself.

• Like 2

Thanks Rebel Darling! We can never have too many reminders, to keep safe when leaving the ground. For every good outcome like this hunter had, there are many more that turn out not so good. There was a local hunter in Westerlo, that died this season in a fall from his tree stand. Strap in and keep safe everyone! Do it for your family's. 

38 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I was thinking the same thing, I would be replacing the nylon for a chain if it were me. A lot of stands boast 300lbs. limit but if I were only 20 lbs. from the weight limit I wouldn't feel comfortable. I'm 190 so being 110lbs. under the limit on my stands it doesn't bother me using a nylon strap. I think even some of the cheap straps are only rated to 400lbs. I fell out once while climbing down. I was using branches as steps and of course it was at the top and fell 22' to the ground landing on my pack. I honestly think the pack saved me from hurting myself and cushioned my fall with my jacket and seat inside. Long story short I only use screw in steps and ladder sticks.

Either way I'm glad he didn't hurt himself.

screw in steps are the most dangerous step you could use if you fall - they will gut you wide open.

• Like 1

Lifelines and/or a lineman's belt coupled with a good harness should be considered as essential as your hunting weapon if you're climbing into a tree. Overblown egos, carelessness and stupidity are no match for gravity and physics.

And yet, every single year Darwin finds more candidates.  http://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2017/11/dec_reports_3_tree_stand-related_deaths_of_upstate_ny_hunters_this_fall.html

Unsure of the make of stand, but my LW hand climber has a plastic-like material for the straps, not nylon.

I think that plastic like material is nylon, with steel cables inside

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think that plastic like material is nylon, with steel cables inside

Ahhh...  Never seen nylon like that.  My mind didn't register it that way.  To Lone Wolf's credit, they (if I recall correctly) recommend replacement every 5 years - maybe that should be less time.  I check them as I wrap them around the tree - I've not used the climber in the morning dark this year.  I did last year, though, the year I bought it.  They, at this point, seem pretty thick and stable.

Basically a brand new hand climber for $80 every few years?  I think that's reasonable.  Thing is solid.

$80 is just for new belts. I know people love the LW, I had one for a few seasons and sold it. I had a new set of belts sent to the guy as it was definitely five years old and I didn't want him worrying about them

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

$80 is just for new belts. I know people love the LW, I had one for a few seasons and sold it. I had a new set of belts sent to the guy as it was definitely five years old and I didn't want him worrying about them

Roger that...  What do you use now?  Thread derailment...  Ha.