Can a bullet kill a deer even if you miss?

Hunter007

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yes. And no.. My father killed a buck when I was 12 having missed it with a 12 gauge slug.. The slug hit a tree in front of the deer..but disloged a chunk of wood out the back of the tree that than hit and penetrated the dears chest behind it.. Had a 1 in by 3 inch hole between it's ribs and chunk of wood in its chest when gutted.. He was afraid to have Dec check it as it was not killed with a bullet..but was..in a sense...

Well yea ricochet can definitely kill 

It is a familiar saying in the Marines that you shoot at the gear of an enemy, not the body, with a 50 cal. I’ve heard it can rip through them as long as it’s close. Also, I spoke with an E.O.D guy that had a guy popping rounds off at them while checking out an I.E.D. Kept popping his head up over a wall. The marksman took a few shots at him and couldn’t kill him. He took the 50 out and drilled him in the head. Said it obliterated everything from mid shoulder up. Nothing but mist and small chunks. You can find YouTube videos of people shooting mountain goats over in Afghanistan. Blows them apart. I think if that deer was hit in the head there would be little left. Maybe he hit it perfect and it zipped through there. I’m no 50 cal expert. 

Ok let me start by fixing a few of these. I was a 50 gunner for four years in the Marine Corps so i feel i can help shed a little more light.

(benEzra) Sgt. Carlos Hathcock occasionally sniped with a Ma Deuce mounting a 10-power scope, IIRC; the cyclic rate was low enough he could fire single shots with it. No mention of that being illegal, and it's in his official record and such.

Number one, the M2 Ma Deuce can be fired on fully auto AND SIMI AUTO!

(PaladinX13) The myth goes something like this: The Geneva Convention bans the use of .50 caliber weapons used against humans because the force of the bullet is so great, if a round even passes you, the shockwaves in the air will jellify your insides and kill you.

Sadly, I've heard this myth repeated 2 times in the last 72 hours by self-declared military persons. Bust the myth!

Number two, I do not know much about the Geneva Convention as i have not looked at the whole thing so dont quote me on it. But i can say that i was given direct orders not to fire at persons, insted i was ordered to aim at the gear on their body. This order came directly from the CO of my regament.

Number three, Near misses can kill a man! But they got to be close (really close) to the brain houseing group ( head ). Have you ever seen what happens to a man with busted blood vessels in his brain? Kind of the same concept as a man being killed by a hand grenade without being touched by any shrapnal. The shock wave!

Like i've said before i'm not god and i dont know everything, but because of my extensive experience with the M2 i flet that i could add my .02 cents.

Any how, That doesn't account for the amount of "mist " that left the deers mouth... Though that round could have passed with it a fraction of an inch of it's eyes across the bridge of nose....Eyes are not glass nor are they paper...they FLUID Filled  globes of tissue...a percussion injury will Always be greater in the presence of fluid...You don't need to believe me READ ... Medical fact you can damage...even change the shape of your eyes by...Just rubbing them...go figure

Edited by growalot

(PaladinX13) The myth goes something like this: The Geneva Convention bans the use of .50 caliber weapons used against humans because the force of the bullet is so great, if a round even passes you, the shockwaves in the air will jellify your insides and kill you.

Sadly, I've heard this myth repeated 2 times in the last 72 hours by self-declared military persons. Bust the myth!

He also said this...but hey you could have more experience ,perhaps a great knowledge of soft tissue percussion injuries and know exactly how close that round got to that deer...Oh.. right... directly through both eyes with out hitting any part of the cranial wall. This said ,you I'm sure have the statistical data on the odds of that happening ...That man belongs in a sniper unit at his age with that talent.

I'll just stick to researching the probability one way or another considering all the info available. There has been only one certainty mentioned by anyone in all this..and that is he was...

trying to promote his show and that gun .

17 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Here is one example notice that white smoke its acually brain matter same as the first video only difference this guy did not get a perfect eye shot like Keith , this guy hit hard bone   making the skull break apart 

Your a bit hung up on brain matter mist...that white "stuff" flying away was the scull plate under the antler and dust from the base being disintegrated,mixed with cranial fluid. The protective sack around the brain.. stop that video at exactly  at 0:45... That said look below and to your rt...that fuzzy thing is either his intact brain or his ear.

9 minutes ago, growalot said:

Your a bit hung up on brain matter mist...that white "stuff" flying away was the scull plate under the antler and dust from the base being disintegrated,mixed with cranial fluid. The protective sack around the brain.. stop that video at exactly  at 0:45... That said look below and to your rt...that fuzzy thing is either his intact brain or his ear.

Not sure what you mean but I have seen the same white smoke on head shots from other slow motion videos 

This one just happens to be the most graphic 

If you do not know what I mean.. Then do as I suggested and actually it is not all that graphic when you can see exactly what happened.. That one single frame shows it all The antler, the plate and the,probably intact brain..or his ear but shape tells me brain. and it isn't smoke the crainial fliud around the brain is clear...

6 minutes ago, growalot said:

If you do not know what I mean.. Then do as I suggested and actually it is not all that graphic when you can see exactly what happened.. That one single frame shows it all The antler, the plate and the,probably intact brain..or his ear but shape tells me brain. and it isn't smoke the crainial fliud around the brain is clear...

No I no what you mean and your wrong bullet just happen to hit in a way with little resistance look at other video i posted heads  don't always blow up when bullets hit them depends on bullet ,and what it hits exactly 

Self declared military persons.... Guess I'm blocked cause I didn't catch that. If it was directed at me, I can show my dd214's. I'm not claiming to be chesty puller, but as an 0311 you do hear things.... The whole 50 vapor was a topic discussed. Never saw it first hand, just heard. Like I said

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk