Do you have a "truck gun"?

Five Seasons

I have enough handguns that I could afford to leave one in my ride. However, even though I'm diligent about locking my doors and park and live in relatively low risk areas, the idea of someone breaking in and stealing a firearm terrifies me.

On long trips, or weird weather days like today I do bring one with me... but it got me thinking about the world we live in and how at any time something could happen on the road where I would need it.

thoughts?

We once had a guy riding in a cab outside of Albany on I-90 that had a bag of guns with him.  A state trooper pulled the cab over and the gang banger passenger opened fire on him with an AK then started shooting at the oncoming traffic.  Everyone jammed on the brakes, parked and ran; it's a miracle no one was hit.  SWAT team arrived after 20 or 30 minutes and finally put the guy down.

Moral to the story is no matter how vivid one's imagination may be, you just never know what can happen.  The en vogue thing now seems to be "protestors" blocking a roadway and threatening people.  I would guess you could solve most problems with your ccw, but who knows if/when a long gun would ever come in handy.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.timesunion.com/local/amp/Shooter-thought-he-d-killed-trooper-555928.php

Edited by Jdubs

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have enough handguns that I could afford to leave one in my ride. However, even though I'm diligent about locking my doors and park and live in relatively low risk areas, the idea of someone breaking in and stealing a firearm terrifies me.

On long trips, or weird weather days like today I do bring one with me... but it got me thinking about the world we live in and how at any time something could happen on the road where I would need it.

thoughts?

Is that even legal? assuming your talking about leaving a handgun in your truck. I'm being honest here as I don't know the correct answer. I was under the thought of your handgun has to either be carried on you or at home. 

• Like 1

Most guys I work with have put a safe in their center counsel , it bolts right through into " frame " or rather whats underneath . I'm waiting for the 'one for my '18 to,come out . One guy leaves like twenty bucks in fives and ones on top of his, with the hope once they once they open the cover and see safe they'll just take the cash and dash . Although the safe is pretty sturdy .

One a whole I'm not a fan of leaving guns in cars . Cars are broken into far more often then homes, and it's only increasing with all the addicts out there .

So one Capt I work,with lives in Pittsford, for those not from here , it's a well off suburb . He leaves nothing in his car and in fact leaves it unlocked in his driveway, got tired of having to replace his Windows .

My friend who lives in  half million dollar home on the Bay has caught addicts looking in his truck Windows on his trail cam, that he put out for deer in his yard .

Trust me they're in Webster as well.

I know a RPD officer who's part of his job is revoking pistol permits ( and he's very pro gun ). I asked what kind of things does he revoke for , one was guns stolen from unlocked center cousels , he said it's just not responsible . Now I'm not sure if that was from unlocked cars as well . Now I'm sure he alone can't revoke , rather he recommends that to a judge .

Nothing like reporting your truck stolen and then having to,tell the cops ," oh ya I got a loaded handgun in there to ."

My intended use of the safe is for times I can't bring it inside , like the gym. 

I used to have a lock box in my trunk with a cable that locked to the trunk hinge , I lock mag and one from chamber in glove box an empty gun in lock box.

My one buddy parks inside a locked garage , locks his truck and has the safe in truck . That Im comfortable with .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Is that even legal? assuming your talking about leaving a handgun in your truck. I'm being honest here as I don't know the correct answer. I was under the thought of your handgun has to either be carried on you or at home. 

great question and I don't know the answer. I know in Mississippi, your car was an extension of your home. Didn't even need a ccw for your car or house... but in NY? idk.

56 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Most guys I work with have put a safe in their center counsel , it bolts right through into " frame " or rather whats underneath . I'm waiting for the 'one for my '18 to,come out . One guy leaves like twenty bucks in fives and ones on top of his, with the hope once they once they open the cover and see safe they'll just take the cash and dash . Although the safe is pretty sturdy .

One a whole I'm not a fan of leaving guns in cars . Cars are broken into far more often then homes, and it's only increasing with all the addicts out there .

So one Capt I work,with lives in Pittsford, for those not from here , it's a well off suburb . He leaves nothing in his car and in fact leaves it unlocked in his driveway, got tired of having to replace his Windows .

My friend who lives in  half million dollar home on the Bay has caught addicts looking in his truck Windows on his trail cam, that he put out for deer in his yard .

Trust me they're in Webster as well.

I know a RPD officer who's part of his job is revoking pistol permits ( and he's very pro gun ). I asked what kind of things does he revoke for , one was guns stolen from unlocked center cousels , he said it's just not responsible . Now I'm not sure if that was from unlocked cars as well . Now I'm sure he alone can't revoke , rather he recommends that to a judge .

Nothing like reporting your truck stolen and then having to,tell the cops ," oh ya I got a loaded handgun in there to ."

My intended use of the safe is for times I can't bring it inside , like the gym. 

I used to have a lock box in my trunk with a cable that locked to the trunk hinge , I lock mag and one from chamber in glove box an empty gun in lock box.

My one buddy parks inside a locked garage , locks his truck and has the safe in truck . That Im comfortable with .

I have had my hunting pack stolen out of my unlocked truck just last year. recovered and nothing lost from a neighbor kid, so yes I'm heightened to this fact. I do have a lockable counsel in my truck, sure isn't a safe but it can't hurt, other than quick access when i need the gun haha.

54 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've got a heritage 22 cal. In my truck. It's a Ruger single six knockoff so it's worth little money. Think I pd $99 at Dick's few yr ago. Stays in the truck.  

I do carry a S&W shield .40 when out and about. 

it's not the loss of my pistol that i'm worried about, it's the pistol getting out on the street and I would rightfully feel responsible for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Don’t need one. CCW is just fine   Would never feel comfortable leaving a gun in the car. Just sounds like police paperwork nightmare 

Some guys have jobs where they can't bring it inside , well only at the risk of being fired. That's a time where a study safe , inside a locked vehicle may be an option . But yes I'm not entirely comfortable even then .

Ill say this mine goes to work and is locked up inside there , some don't have that option .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Some guys have jobs where they can't bring it inside , well only at the risk of being fired. That's a time where a study safe , inside a locked vehicle may be an option . But yes I'm not entirely comfortable even then .

Ill say this mine goes to work and is locked up inside there , some don't have that option .

i would say that most don't. most aren't even "supposed" to have them in the parking lot.