Coyote Bait tips

I'm planning on making my first coyotecicle and staking it out behind the house about 70 yards with one of those driveway alarms. Any tips. I'm planning on dumping the carcasses too so that will add a little more incentive. Anyone bait and have any tips?

20171221_203430.jpg

Edited by chas0218

I just added a crow to the carcass pile that is about a hundred yards behind my bedroom window.   There were a few of them on the butchered remains and hide of a doe that I put out there over a week ago.   Those crows work well to check the zero on my .22 rimfire.  I held about 1" over its back with a Rem yellow jacket.  I had sighted my Ruger 10/22 dead on at 50 yards with those.   There was a very light wind today, which helped with that shot.   The last time I shot at one, I missed on a windier day.    

There is not much left of the doe carcass, so I am on the lookout for a nearby roadkill now.  I usually just throw the road kills and butchered deer carcasses on a pile, along with raccoons.  It is going to be tough to get a coyote, because there have not been a lot of tracks around this season and I have neighbors on each side who are very good trappers.   An odd thing about coyote carcasses, is that the crows don't seem to eat them.   Hopefully the coyotes will eat some fresh crow tonight. 

The .22LR yellow jacket does a nice job on coyotes at 100-120 yards, if you hit them broadside behind the shoulders.  The best thing about it is that it does not wake the kids or neighbors up.  If a coyote shows up in the daylight, I am going to try my new Marlin 336BL 30/30.  I was not able to get a shot at a deer with it on the one hunt when I carried it this season.  

I like the idea of a garage-door opener alarm on the bait pile, like WNYBH mentioned.   My wife is a light sleeper and my alarm has consisted of her elbowing me in the ribs when she hears them yipping over the bait.   They seem to be wising up and keeping silent the last few years however, so the alarm might be worth a try.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Surprised you would shoot a crow without using the meat.... Don't like to eat crow..??!

Anyways.

Def stake down anything you have or it will get dragged away. Also throw a cam over the bait. I don't think you will be able to successfully pattern a specific time but you will get some cool pics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Surprised you would shoot a crow without using the meat.... Don't like to eat crow..??!

Anyways.

Def stake down anything you have or it will get dragged away. Also throw a cam over the bait. I don't think you will be able to successfully pattern a specific time but you will get some cool pics.

The past two years I've hung cams over several carcasses and got very few good coyote pics.

Their tracks indicated they smelled a rat, and avoided committing to feeding on the carcass, but rather kept their distance and circled around it at a safe distance. As soon as I pulled the cam to move it to another set, they moved right in and dragged the carcasses away!

I even experimented with raising the cams up to 6ft after they were noticed but that didn't even make them feel comfortable enough once they noticed the original cam set. Didn't seem to matter if I used red or black flash cams either, the results were the same.

I got tons of respect for those animals ability to pick out and avoid the slightest sign that something is off even in the dead of winter when you would think there's no way they would pass up a free meal. I know a lot of guys here have no problem piling up the pics over bait piles, but the yotes around here seem to still use extra caution when approaching these man made sets of mine. If I was going to hunt them over a carcass I think I'd skip hanging any cams in the area for that reason alone.

2 hours ago, wooly said:

If I was going to hunt them over a carcass I think I'd skip hanging any cams in the area for that reason alone.

2 hours ago, wooly said:

The past two years I've hung cams over several carcasses and got very few good coyote pics

I have had the same experience. I know they are stealing the "bait" from one spot but have yet to catch them on camera. The only ones I have got on cam had a very surprised look on their face as if hey stumbled into them.

Very smart and elusive critter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Anyways.

Coyotes, crows, and coons are the only things that I kill and do not eat.    Taking a few of them out may help add a bit more venison to the freezer indirectly.   Any fawn or rutted out buck that is consumed by coyotes will not end up in my freezer, and taking out the coons makes my corn last a lot longer,  allowing it to pull in more deer and keep them around longer.   The dead crows may help attract coyotes, but the target practice they provide definitely helps make sure I can hit those coyotes when they come to the same bait pile.  

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

"You mean the corn you throw out to attract deer? BAITER!" ~ Biz

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I can grow it legally cheaper than I can buy it and throw it illegally, as long as I keep the coons under control, which is fun.  

Edited by wolc123

Put it w water on the ice of a creek, ditch or pond to freeze the baitsicle in place. Good cover there promotes use and you’ll have to catch them going to/from though more likely to do it during daylight (esp dusk and dawn)hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Meat is usually the best alternative choice as it is a great attractant for a coyote on a long distance. However, I use the Milligan's Tutti Fruitti Coyote Proof Animal Lure. It's deliciously sweet and exotic flavor is definitely attracted yotes.