Pistol Recertification Reminder

chas0218

47 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s ten in the mag.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/State-Police-guide-amended-to-ignore-seven-round-5355959.php

Also courts have ruled the police can not “ search” the mag in other words count the cartilages. This came out of a traffic stop, where the officer took control of the gun ,and said he could tell by the weight, then counted the rounds , which was ruled an illegal search and tossed out .

Also NYS has no duty to inform, ive been stopped while armed never said a word about my handguns , but my stops tend to end in 30 seconds or so .

So I decided to do online instead of joining others in flooding them last minute with paper ones ( yes I chickened out .)

Went to do my wife’s today, and found Monroe County had left the last number of one ser. Number off my permit ,on my snubbie , so,my recert has the wrong ser# on it. While I was on hold with them, I checked online and I’m all approved , good for 5 more years ...... wrong ser# and all ......

This is the second time MC had one wrong on my permit .

I recertified months ago and had an email confirming it. I've since changed emails and have lost the confirmation  Is there a way to check I'm good and print it out ?I'd like to have physical proof

30 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I recertified months ago and had an email confirming it. I've since changed emails and have lost the confirmation  Is there a way to check I'm good and print it out ?I'd like to have physical proof

Q: How can I check the status of my recertification?

A: Your recertification status can be checked at https://firearms.troopers.ny.gov/pprecert/

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i should rephrase. when asked if i have any weapons, i'm telling the truth. You can have your method, but I'll have mine. There's a reason stupid people get shot by the police. Those guys and gals are always alarmed and i dont blame them. no reason to be silly if i'm following the laws...and white ;)

so all yall are still carrying loaded 10's? 

Well if they ask then I would tell them but unless you have it in plain sight they won't ask. My buddy had his 1911 in his glove box where his registration was. Told the police officer and he asked my buddy to get out with hands on the hood while the cop got the registration. He shut the glove box and had him walk back to his car and wait. Never asked him for his permit or anything, didn't run any numbers just told him to fix his light and sent him on his way.  Same guy was nuisance hunting for a grape vineyard at night and had the cops called after shooting at a deer. He had it on his hip in plain sight, cops showed up asked if he had a permit said yes and asked if they wanted to see the gun. The one cop declined while the other did and the only reason why was because it was the Smith airweight .357 and the cop was looking to get one. Again no numbers ran and nothing checked other than permissions from vineyard owner.

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s ten in the mag.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/State-Police-guide-amended-to-ignore-seven-round-5355959.php

Also courts have ruled the police can not “ search” the mag in other words count the cartilages. This came out of a traffic stop, where the officer took control of the gun ,and said he could tell by the weight, then counted the rounds , which was ruled an illegal search and tossed out .

Also NYS has no duty to inform, ive been stopped while armed never said a word about my handguns , but my stops tend to end in 30 seconds or so .

So I decided to do online instead of joining others in flooding them last minute with paper ones ( yes I chickened out .)

Went to do my wife’s today, and found Monroe County had left the last number of one ser. Number off my permit ,on my snubbie , so,my recert has the wrong ser# on it. While I was on hold with them, I checked online and I’m all approved , good for 5 more years ...... wrong ser# and all ......

This is the second time MC had one wrong on my permit .

I saw that but the "guidelines" aren't an amendment to the law. The wording still isn't "you can not be charged" so it is up to the judge at that point. My step dad is a retired trooper and he said that if you get an anti 2nd amendment judge they may try to burn you at the stake for it.

"guidelines that police are supposed to follow when enforcing the 2013 law.; members are instructed not to enforce PL 265.37 at this time.''

10 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I saw that but the "guidelines" aren't an amendment to the law. The wording still isn't "you can not be charged" so it is up to the judge at that point. My step dad is a retired trooper and he said that if you get an anti 2nd amendment judge they may try to burn you at the stake for it.

"guidelines that police are supposed to follow when enforcing the 2013 law.; members are instructed not to enforce PL 265.37 at this time.''

Why would anyone be arrested for this in the first place??  Any LEO that arrests for this opens themselves up to a civil lawsuit, period.  No judge is going to rule against the Circuit Court ruling that upheld the original decision by Skretny.  The constant fear-mongering over carring 10 rounds is absurd.  The 7 round limit was struck down as unconstitutional and that's that.

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

No I don’t I’m a LT in the FD .

Im just not overly concerned about it .

that doesn't help me. you're not even following the 10 rd. law lol. Heck I lived in the south, thankfully i left my "normal" glock mags there, but gee wouldn't it be nice to have my 13 rounders?

32 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Why would anyone be arrested for this in the first place??  Any LEO that arrests for this opens themselves up to a civil lawsuit, period.  No judge is going to rule against the Circuit Court ruling that upheld the original decision by Skretny.  The constant fear-mongering over carring 10 rounds is absurd.  The 7 round limit was struck down as unconstitutional and that's that.

i think the point that i struggle with and thank you chas for clarifying, is that while it's not directly enforced, it's still the law. Obviously you can do what you like with that info. My job requires me to have certain abilities so unfortunately i just can't mess around with these kind of things. 

To be clear I seldom carry those , if I’m going away I’ll bring them , it’s just nice to have 16 rounds in one gun when away from home ,and so,on .

The 7/10 thing from my reading today is, court tossed out the 7 rounds but it’s still not changed in the penal law. NYSP have told their Troopers to not enforce the 7 limit . I don’t know one person who still down loads their 10 round mags.

15 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

NYSP have told their Troopers to not enforce the 7 limit . I don’t know one person who still down loads their 10 round mags.

I worry more about the "Local" authorities trying to make a name for them selves/deputy dawg that is why I still only load seven when I am out. I doubt very much they know a thing about PL 265.37. All they know is the "LAW" says 7-rounds. Until it says different that is all I will have loaded but will have a x-tra mag. not to far away.

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I worry more about the "Local" authorities trying to make a name for them selves/deputy dawg that is why I still only load seven when I am out. I doubt very much they know a thing about PL 265.37. All they know is the "LAW" says 7-rounds. Until it says different that is all I will have loaded but will have a x-tra mag. not to far away.

Why would they risk their career and ignore the NYSP (who they refer their gun questions to)?  The nurse in Utah that was wrongly arrested for not allowing a LEO to draw blood on her patient settled her lawsuit for $500,000.  If some dumb local decides to jam me up for carrying 10 rds in the mag, then I'll gladly cash the check that's sure to follow.  

6 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

If some dumb local decides to jam me up for carrying 10 rds in the mag, then I'll gladly cash the check that's sure to follow.  

That sir is your choice..... Why would I go through the hassle and jeopardize my right to carry for 3 rounds.

It will probably never happen but like many laws; I don't agree with it but will abide.

I believe that after the data on this useless re-certification nonsense is compiled that just like the rest of the unSAFE 
Act it did not reduce or eliminate gun violence.  Just another one of Cuomo and his friends non-accomplishments.

I seriously recommend carrying the letter from the New York State Police that you had successfully re-certified.  Cheap insurance for the cost of  sheet of paper in case the police have an issue if you actually re-certified.  

Why does Cuomo and his supporters always cry for gun control, but not crime control?  Because they are unable or unwilling to understand that the root causes of gun violence are rooted most entirely in the distribution, sale and use of illegal drugs; the lack penal system that releases habitual violent criminals who cannot be rehabilitated, the failed mental health system that does not institutionalize the violently mentally ill, and the failed welfare system that enables and encourages single mother families whose children are placed a high s=risk for being victims of ct]rime and becoming criminals.  Unfortunately Cuomo and his supporters lack the intellect to comprehend all that truth.

• Like 1

All's this means is "IF" I'm stopped by the locals or state police, they will be able to see if I have a pistol permit or not, and if I'm a threat if I'm stopped.  

Do I think it's right, hell no.  

IF I was reasonably assured I wouldn't be targeted and my PP ultimately be pulled, I wouldn't have complied. 

Only hoping, by compiling, I'll be put on the back burner compared to those who didn't.  

• 2 weeks later...

Only a few days left, I will be mailing mine tomorrow certified mail. I read an article that a senator trying to push a bill that gives an extension, also read that you can also lose your voting privileges if you don't comply? Didn't hear that one before. I see Cuomo is really trying to screw anyone that holds a PP. Is it ironic that you would get your voting privileges revoked on his re-election year.

Edited by chas0218