Trips Booked!

BizCT

After months of research here and there, I am booked for the following trips.  Note, I have also bought a crossbow (Excalibur Vortex to expand my hunting).

Going to give NJ a try this October 2011 hunting with the crossbow for the first time. Going to hunt State Forest land for Deer. DIY hunt.

1st week of Nov. 2011 - Again with the Crossbow. Semi-Guided 6 day Deer hunt in Clearfield County Pennsylvania.

November/December 2011 - my normal shotgun hunting for deer, and then crossbow in late season.

December 26,2011 - Jan. 1 2012 - 5 day guided Bobcat hunt in Northern Minnesota with shotgun.

March 17, 2012 - March 24, 2012 - 6 day guided Wolf hunt in Northern Ontario, Canada with rifle.

1st week of October 2012 - 5 day Mule Deer/Antelope Combo hunt with rifle in Buffalo, Wyoming.

Then possibly, the whole NJ/PA/NY deer thing again in Fall 2012.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, not my own boss lol. I'm 27, Work for a big law firm, that gives a ton of paid time off. Haven't even been here 2 years yet, and I get 24 vacation days per year on top of holiday and sick/personal days.

Nice score lol

why dont you just buy some land and hunt your own property?

I have access to private land I hunt on in NY. No point in buying more land in NY, can only shoot 1 buck per year anyway.

I can't say that I'd ever buy property in NY or elsewhere solely for hunting either.  Just doesn't add up in my opinion.  Even small acreage of 30 to 50 acres will cost you a good penny in most places in NYS these days and you will be paying ever increasing taxes on it as long as you own it.  Lets say the property cost as little as $30K, one could go on a good many guided deer hunts for that money, and in many cases your odds of success will be much better than hunting only one relatively small spot in NYS.

Biz-R-O, can you bring the wolf back to ny? When I was in canada about ten years ago the outfitter offered me wolf license but when he asked what state I was from he told me I couldn't bring a wolf back with me even though they had too many and wanted them shot. And of course I saw a nice black one but no bear.

• 5 months later...

Biz- Or -World...

Can I be your Daddy ? You are 5 years younger than my daughter. Do you live in NYC ? Ny ship was homeported there back during the Vietnam war. Maybe I AM your Daddy... hehehe.. Just kidding.. No disrespect intended.

You are starting your wolf hunt on my birthday. Good luck.. I had one 400 yard poke at a wolf in Alaska in '96 with my .338. Made him run faster. He was a white one. On a caribou drop in 2001 in AK I thought I was going to get GOOD shots at 2 different wolves. Both times it did not pan out. One of my buddies missed 2 shots in one day, but both wolves were carrying the mail. Damn things are like coyotes..They don't hold still very often and are hard to get a good shot at. I hope you get one. Or six....<<smile>>...

I am from Putnam County. I work in NYC, so I lived in NYC for a couple of years, got sick of renting and recently just bought my first place in Westchester County. I went to Alberta a few years back for Wolf, didnt see any but I did get a coyote. The day I left, the next hunter there for a week got 2 wolves the first morning. It's so hit or miss. My dad went on 3 wolf hunts before getting 2 nice black ones in British Columbia with Babine Outfitters.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

• 2 weeks later...

After months of research here and there, I am booked for the following trips. Note, I have also bought a crossbow (Excalibur Vortex to expand my hunting).

Going to give NJ a try this October 2011 hunting with the crossbow for the first time. Going to hunt State Forest land for Deer. DIY hunt.

1st week of Nov. 2011 - Again with the Crossbow. Semi-Guided 6 day Deer hunt in Clearfield County Pennsylvania.

November/December 2011 - my normal shotgun hunting for deer, and then crossbow in late season.

December 26,2011 - Jan. 1 2012 - 5 day guided Bobcat hunt in Northern Minnesota with shotgun.

March 17, 2012 - March 24, 2012 - 6 day guided Wolf hunt in Northern Ontario, Canada with rifle.

1st week of October 2012 - 5 day Mule Deer/Antelope Combo hunt with rifle in Buffalo, Wyoming.

Then possibly, the whole NJ/PA/NY deer thing again in Fall 2012.

Never ended up trying the NJ thing....but heading to PA this upcoming weekend for my first crossbow hunt.

Me too! I will be hunting the Moshannon State Forest. AR = 3 points to 1 side minimum. I will have no problem taking a 6 pointer later in my week. Only have 5 bucks in my life. Outside of an 11pt. from Michigan, my 4 NY bucks were 2 spikes, 1 4pt, and 1 small 8pt.

I have my crossbow sighted in dead on at 25 yards instead of the standard 20. It is 3" low at 30yd., 5 1/2" low at 35yd. 8 1/2" low at 40. I definitely wont shoot past 35-40. I am used to hunting deer with a shotgun (putnam county), so this could be frustrating if i see bucks 50+ yards away.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunted in Pennsylvania for 4 ½ days (Clearfield County, Units 2E & 2G), about 5 hours away. Was hunting heavy laurel fields in the mornings and food plots in the afternoon. All land was public state forest hunting property. Wish NY had food plots on the public land. In the 4 ½ days I saw 28 does and 8 bucks. I was hunting from the ground with an Excalibur Crossbow, my first time hunting without a gun. Legal bucks in these areas are 3 points to one side at a minimum. I saw one giant 8 pointer (120+) at 113 yards and one nice 7 pointer at 68 yards. Both would have been easy gun kills. The other 6 points were all within 40 yards as were many of the does, but of course these bucks were spikes, 3’s, 4’s, etc….not legal. All in all, it was a great experience hunting public land and seeing tons of deer especially since the weather wasn’t the greatest. 61 degrees 2 of the days. Didn’t see any bucks chasing does. A few guys in my camp passed up and took video of nice legal bucks I definitely would have taken.

I didn’t come home empty handed however, as I shot a porcupine on the 1st day while walking out of the woods. Should make a cool mount. A few pics attached. Next up, shotgun season Nov. 19th here in NY.

post-871-0-66736600-1320627742_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-60927400-1320627773_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-57009800-1320627819_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-36233300-1320627837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Not to go off topic but how does a crossbow compare to a regular bow {Or a bow that cant be pre load}..I am deff going to get some sort of bow for next year but im not shure what or even were to start lol..I have allways shot guns and never looked far past em but bows are starting to peak my intrest.How is the impact i mean does if fair well with a big buck!!

I wanted to extend my hunting beyong just gun, I planned to buy a compound, but due to a severely separated shoulder in my dominate arm, I was unable to pull back on a compound. Luckily, I am able to cock a crossbow which is bending over and standing straight up and using 2 hands. Thats why I bought a crossbow. As far as comparison, I have no idea since I never shot a compound. 1 advantage is that the crossbow is already cocked, so you can shoot when you see a shooter, with the compound you have to draw your bow. 99% of compound hunters hunt from treestands. I had no problem hunting from the ground since my crossbow was already cocked so it was like sitting with a gun that can only shoot 40-50 yards.

• 1 month later...

Sucks! Talked to my outfitter in Northern Minnesota and they still have no snow on the ground! Can't hunt bobcats with dogs without the snow. Not sure whats going to happen. I am supposed to fly out 12/26. This is unbelievable. Its under 0 degrees ever day where Im going but they havent gotten snow yet this year. Their Cat season is very short and ends 1/8/12. Normally they have 2+ feet on the ground by now.

Biz...Good luck with the snow...A buddy of mine booked two cougar hunts consecutive years and never got to hunt.

There's certainly a good chance that you'll get snow between now and when you hunt..

Keep us posted...

Do you plan to shoot your cat with a handgun, rifle, shotgun, or maybe your Xbow..??..