i want more

dmandoes

You realize that they flock up in winter ? I had 50-60 birds flocked up the last two winters during gun   Come spring they are scattered everywhere   Apparently you 'wanting" to kill 10 turkeys in a year you don't know a whole bunch about flock rehabilitation or thinking at all long term   My .02

Great sight to see though

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

We are already fortunate to have 2 Seasons in one year A number of States in the South don't.  What State did Keck hunt Turkeys in January?

kansas. it also says virginia and maryland also have a winter season.  been to florida for public land turkey and have killed a couple.  why go out of state when theres more turkeys here than ever. dec should at least restore the fall season and bag limits here.   

I'd bet that may 1 comes around and that 125 flock turns to 1, 2 or if your lucky.... 5. I do think our season could start a bit earlier but I like knowing that some hens are bred before Tom takes the dirt nap. With all the preds around alot of nests are robbed and poults killed. Now, if may 1st came and that same 125 is covering the field everyday across the state, than yes beef up the tags and extend the season. Any seasoned turkey hunter knows that a big winter/spring flock dissapears quickly and bagging a Tom is harder than it looks.

Out of curiosity dmandoes, do you fill all your turkey tags both seasons, every year ? Serious question...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

post-293-0-17091500-1332688495_thumb.jpgWe have flocks like this in 3 of the 7 bigger fields most every year. Not sure why the flocks do not all come together but they seem to keep themselves to a couple hundred acres per flock thru winter. Many find other places to be by the time May rolls around but always more then enough to keep the month of May interesting.  Being a fickle bird i think the seasons are set up pretty well as they are now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I'd bet that may 1 comes around and that 125 flock turns to 1, 2 or if your lucky.... 5. I do think our season could start a bit earlier but I like knowing that some hens are bred before Tom takes the dirt nap. With all the preds around alot of nests are robbed and poults killed. Now, if may 1st came and that same 125 is covering the field everyday across the state, than yes beef up the tags and extend the season. Any seasoned turkey hunter knows that a big winter/spring flock dissapears quickly and bagging a Tom is harder than it looks.

Out of curiosity dmandoes, do you fill all your turkey tags both seasons, every year ? Serious question...

hasn't happened in 20 years.  it might get down to 40.  i have to hold off from killing turkeys or the season will be done in a couple days.  if u were to try reaping here u would get gang banged and and shoot in self defense.  it would be fun.  

hasn't happened in 20 years.  it might get down to 40.  i have to hold off from killing turkeys or the season will be done in a couple days.  if u were to try reaping here u would get gang banged and and shoot in self defense.  it would be fun.  
Well now u have my attention. So... Was that an invite ? I would love to see Tom try and get his little feather in my hat...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Is that your Private land Dmandoes?  I wish the Fall bag limit would be restored to 2 Turkeys as well. I fought very hard when there was public input a few years back as some here might remember. I like the new Fall opening day which is 2 weeks later-- but not happy with a Slash from 6 weeks to just 2 weeks. The later date protects all turkeys from Pheasant hunters on their opener and the first few days of October.  

i wish the turkey season went a little later in the fall and coincided more with the same time as crossbow deer.  But yeah its a pretty short fall season and it seems I always see more right after it closes 

8 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Well now u have my attention. So... Was that an invite ? I would love to see Tom try and get his little feather in my hat...

i have a couple hours this sunday morning. we'll call it,  what if ny had a january turkey season hunt.  u want to do it in may, not a chance. 

6 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Is that your Private land Dmandoes?  I wish the Fall bag limit would be restored to 2 Turkeys as well. I fought very hard when there was public input a few years back as some here might remember. I like the new Fall opening day which is 2 weeks later-- but not happy with a Slash from 6 weeks to just 2 weeks. The later date protects all turkeys from Pheasant hunters on their opener and the first few days of October.  

its my land to hunt.  i want the season to start in oct like it used to. i used to shoot turkeys in fall with bow.  when nov comes , i'm looking to shoot a buck and not willing to mess things up chasing turkeys. 

First off you should be grateful you have property like that to hunt, I pretty much gave up turkey hunting because of land access. Why don't you join a youth mentor group and help some kids kill a bird if you're overrun with them? Better yet why don't you invite a few of us members to hunt in the spring? I wish I had your problem and you're complaining about it!? Why is it you WANT to kill 5 gobblers? The turkey breasts?? The beards? The kill count factor? If you and your neighbors started shooting 10 birds each every year you wouldn't have your current problem very long I don't think...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Yeah Dmandoes-- try New Jersey or Pennsylvania for your 3rd Gobbler and perhaps a Southern State in mid-March for 2 more and you will have your 5 Tom's. Uncle Nicky travels several States Spring and Fall. You should ask his advice in a private message.    My goal each Spring is 4 Gobblers. It has never happened yet . I have taken 3 combined in NY and NJ.     I would love to take 3 in New Jersey and 2 in New York-- but one thing I do is take a Gobbler in a different area each time.    

You can kill 4 birds in Tennessee, 3 in Georgia, 3 in Virginia, 5 in Alabama, 3 in South Carolina, all less than a day's drive, and as many in NJ as you can get tags for. I'm thinking this post is mostly sarcasm, but it's no secret that numbers are down in PA & NY, as well as some other former hotspots (Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas). I'm still a little miffed that they cut back the NY limit on fall birds to 2 in some areas, the same year that I got a dog for fall hunting, but that horse has been beaten enough, and doubt that will change any time soon.

57 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

You can kill 4 birds in Tennessee, 3 in Georgia, 3 in Virginia, 5 in Alabama, 3 in South Carolina, all less than a day's drive, and as many in NJ as you can get tags for. I'm thinking this post is mostly sarcasm, but it's no secret that numbers are down in PA & NY, as well as some other former hotspots (Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas). I'm still a little miffed that they cut back the NY limit on fall birds to 2 in some areas, the same year that I got a dog for fall hunting, but that horse has been beaten enough, and doubt that will change any time soon.

yes, its mostly sarcasm.  btw the turkeys were going crazy sunday.