Spring Turkey Story's/Photo's

A6A6

Hey guys.

how did everyone do this spring season ?

I was able to get out a few times. twice up in delware county at a friends and twice in sterling forest..

no luck at either.. saw a few hens in deleware but at sterling , nothing but tick's .. .tons of em..

i hope you guys had better luck.

I got skunked this year, they plowed the field that the turkeys were roosting in the day before opener of course, and later in the season we had some toms in a field that I was working very hard for and low and behold a couple of guys come driving up in the woods smiling like they were in love and game over. What can you do, it was an odd year for us.

man that sucks..

but at least you had a few tom;s in the next field over..

im starting to think the closest tom's next to me were in another state.

i was in a blind and got in at atleast 40 minutes before light..]

I got skunked as well this year, it was good to get out and call a few times though. Did get this bird to come in but hang up, twice. Had to be the same one as it didn'tgobble at all, just dance. Last year I took a Tom on opening day and another on closeing weekend, that bird had 1 & 5/8" spurrs. This year seemed like the weather was way off. 2nd weekend was a complete washout so I didn't burn any extra vacation.

Did get this bird to come in but hang up, twice.

If a Tom with hens is hanging up for me I usually put up a hen decoy the next day and gobble.  He thinks you stole away one of his girls and comes looking for a fight.  My Remington 870 gives him a fight he can't win though ; )  Old timer taught me this one a few years ago and it hasn't failed me since.

i didnt start using decoy's till about 3 years ago/

i always had birds getting hung up on me..

i was able to get a tom or jake into the area,  but then wasnt able to get him into range. .

then i went out and bought two styrofoam hen decoy's from gander..

they were the chaepest ones in the selection.. i dont even know who the company was that made them.

all i can say is in the first two spring seasons, i shot two birds in two days..

i never really do much turkey in the fall , i havent even attempted to use the decoys in the fall but i doubt they will work as well.

this spring, i wasnt as lucky..

i got squat..

i wasnt able to hunt my regular spot for turkey ,

hopefully , the birds arent educated about my decoy's

maybe ill buy a new decoy , a tom , and put him out with the two hens next year and see what kind of trouble i can stir up..

I hunted hard this spring in both NY and Mass (I maintain licenses in each state every year).. I had no luck in NY, there were plenty of gobblers, but we couldnt get in range.. on opening day the toms were coming right in (two of them), but a racoon crossed in between us and the birds, and the birds spooked off.

I did have good luck in Mass.. the second day of the season I nailed a nice 22 lb bird with a 9 inch beard, but he wouldnt come to me. I had to stalk him. He made his way to the top of a plateu surrounded by a very steep incline. I had to make my way up it, clucking and scratching in the leaves. he was funny he gobbled at every sound I made. And when I reached the top, i just took the safety off and walked over the ridge, and there he was in full display, and he ran and I whacked him at about 40 feet, with an extra full choke pushing copper plated #4s. He died.

I went out a few times this year. Took my fiance's 13yr old cousin with one time. Didnt see anything though. The other day I was driving my daughter back to her mom's and we saw a momma turkey with 8 or 9 babies following behind her on the side of the road. It was pretty cool and my daughter loved it.

• 3 weeks later...

We didnt too bad. started with the youth season and hunted all the way to the last day of May. I have a couple of videos of our NY turkey hunts. PLEASE excuse the film footage as you have a amateur camera man and one piece of crap video camera.

I got my hands on a bow/rifle/camera mount in march.. and I have been trying to film some hunting.. but i never can seem to get a shot when the weather is good enough to take the camera.. we will try again this fall.

• 1 month later...