Scat Identification?

DSMERIC91

Sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, I didnt really find a "scat" specific category.

I live in the Southern Tier of NY and was up on my dads land yesterday doing some riding and hiking, first real dry day to go out and do so. Well, I came across a big piece of scat and I have seen it before around the land but this one was bigger than most.

It really interested me and Id like to know what we got up there.

If anyone is good with this sort of thing please chime in?

post-2315-131455444213_thumb.jpg

post-2315-131455444229_thumb.jpg

post-2315-131455444245_thumb.jpg

Bear, that was my thought. Im glad someone else thinks so too. Is this for certain? My father who owns the land says no bears, and also the forester hanst made any mention of bears. I still believe it to be bears though.

and nope no t.p. around the turd, it had to be only a few hours old at that time, it was still warm almost.

Definalty, bear! If your property is anywhere in the southertier the bear are here..we're almost getting over run with them. Was talking to a local dec officer and he believes that the state may open bear with the opening  if deer gun season vs a weel later like it is now. over 300 bear killed on nusience/car colission and hunting in  allegany county  alone last year.

We are in Sullivan and we have been find piles of poop,found lots of tracks but never the bear.Not yet anyway.

Well , get ready to haul butt if you do come across one !

Actually , unless a bear thinks you are a danger to her cubs , she probably wouldn't bother you .

Definalty, bear! If your property is anywhere in the southertier the bear are here..we're almost getting over run with them. Was talking to a local dec officer and he believes that the state may open bear with the opening  if deer gun season vs a weel later like it is now. over 300 bear killed on nusience/car colission and hunting in  allegany county  alone last year.

G-Man, I believe that deer and bear are open the same time in the southern zone gun season.

Dave

they open a week later than deer in Southern teir...and I think it is bear scat al well. At this point in the season there really aren't any berries to feed on. main stay of diet is grasses unless they get lucky and find carion. Very common this time of year to see bear scat with a smooth mass and when they first get out of the den it can be very loose ...almost diarreha...hope no one is eating breakfast ;)

It's nice to see the bears in your area but after a while they start to become a problem. For me they just don't eat the fruit of my trees they break the tree apart till there is nothing left! This goes for some real nice pine trees also. They either use them as back scratches or eat the sap. Someone told me they will let the sap run and come back to eat the insects!

I thought they opened on the same day last year.Firearm season.In the southern tier.

Deer was Nov 20th

Bear was Nov 27th

Culver, they opened on the same day last year in the southern zone. Nov 20th. Check the DEC site it will confirm the same dates.

Dave

I thought they opened on the same day last year.Firearm season.In the southern tier.

Deer was Nov 20th

Bear was Nov 27th

Culver, they opened on the same day last year in the southern zone. Nov 20th. Check the DEC site it will confirm the same dates.

Dave

Western NY opened on Nov 27th for bear. Catskills opened Nov 20th. same as deer season.

Dave

Yeah.....for you catskill area hunters it is.....Over where the real hunting takes place it doesn't...lol ;):D

Where would that be?

Dave

South Central and South West....over where they grow big without the AR... :D

That's true we don't have agriculture to support the deer in our area. Mostly woods, but every once in awhile we get a big one. DMU next to us has AR and they haven't had the results they expected yet.

Dave

I stand corrected.Thanks Culver.......

I think it is crap that they don't have it on the same day over here. I understand why it used to be that way since the hunter numbers in the woods that first week are high....but I hear more and more guys having issues with them and the number of wrecks with autos seems to be trending up like mention before.

You would think after the first week of gun seaaon most bear would go into hiding anyway.So it kinda makes sense to open on the same day.

It does make sense but remember your talking about the DEC. They don't make sense most of the time.

Dave