Might be a tuff youth season...

mowin

Last yr on this date it was in the 70's, and the next was almost 90* in my area.  Flocks were all broken up and brids were visible in the fields through the day and relatively easy to pattern. 

This yr!!!!!   

Temps didn't get out of the 30's, today and had sleet and freezing rain. Haven't seen a turkey in the last 3 days in my hunting area.  

Temps on this coming Saturday are supposed to" climb" into the 50's and be clear. 

Going to be interesting to say the least. Could be very challenging to get any response, or we could get run over by a horny tom as soon as he hears a single call hoping to be the first to service a willing hen.   

Hopefully it's the latter... 

I was wondering about the turkey season as a whole a about a month ago. I was thinking the same thing, this weather over the past two months has been "crappy" to say the least. I am seeing birds in fields more and more frequent. We had to drive down into Colonie today, saw turkey all over the place driving down I-90, bunch of strutters on the march in those flocks. That was at around 11:30 AM. On the way back about two hours later, one flock had merely moved from one field to another adjacent. I tried to get pics, but at 65MPH, my phone just had a big blurr.

Also saw about 10-15 deer. They looked rough.

Edited by Rob...
spelling

We are at least two weeks behind with the weather we've been having. The very first breeding is super hot. And just as Tacks said, we usually miss it, as it happens before May first. Not this year! Should be lots more gobbling and eager Tom's, than we've seen in quite some time! Might not seem like it now, but the crappy weather this spring, will help the turkey hunters!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Looks like Saturdays youth hunt I may be wearing snow camo.  That’s a first.  But no bugs ! 

About 5 yrs ago on the first day of youth season, a young gal and I sat in a snow storm. Couldn't see 50 yrds.  Heard the birds on roost, but they shut up once they hit the ground.   Was one of the few times I was glad to get into a warm truck during turkey season. 

Ended up getting her first tom the next day in the same spot. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2