2018 Baseball Thread

grampy

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The Red Sox became the first team to clinch a playoff spot. Of the 25 teams to clinch earliest in the wild-card era (since 1995), 12 of the 25 lost in the first round while five went on to win it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Sox have a 50% chance of winning WS 

36 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Maybe Yankees should have further persued

de Grom is the cornerstone of the Mets rebuilding process. They wouldn't deal him. But the Yanks had enough minor league prospects, and $$$ to have possibly made an offer they couldn't refuse. Question is, would it have been worth it for "this" year??  I don't think so. Even if de Grom were on the Yankees rotation now, there is too much wrong elsewhere. And it wouldn't make a difference on how the Yankees season is going to end.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But Severino is their “Ace” LOL

By the way Biz, DeGrom was 26 years old before he ever pitched a game in the big leagues.  Just wanted to point that out to you since you were going off on Judge last year for being 25 and only in his first season.  A player doesn't need to break in at 20 to become a fine player and DeGrom is just another example.

By the way Biz, DeGrom was 26 years old before he ever pitched a game in the big leagues.  Just wanted to point that out to you since you were going off on Judge last year for being 25 and only in his first season.  A player doesn't need to break in at 20 to become a fine player and DeGrom is just another example.

But neither DeGrom or Judge are going to HOF. Ryan Howard another example.

deGrom was originally a SS.  He was converted to be a pitcher late in college so his pitching resume had a late start.  Which is why he was never highly regarded before he hit the scene.  Mets took a flier on him late in the draft.  Shortly after he got drafted, he had to have Tommy John surgery which further delayed his development.  He always threw hard and he was always a smart player that learned quickly but he was missing his stuff.  While rehabbing after Tommy John, Johan Santana was in the same minor league team rehabbing as well and Johan Santana showed deGrom how to throw his infamous change-up.  Players show other players all kinds of tips but not everyone of them can pick up on it and duplicate it.  deGrom was able to duplicate it and that's how he became as good as he is.  It's also why he got a late start.

As far as HOF, you don't need a long career to get into the HOF.  You just have to be transcendent for a good amount of years.  If deGrom keeps this up for another 5-6 years and doesn't fall off badly like Ryan Howard did then he has a chance at HOF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But neither DeGrom or Judge are going to HOF. Ryan Howard another example.

Of all the players who have played, only few are in the HOF, so that is irrelevant here. 

Biz, you also predicted that Judge would be back in the minor leagues this season, so I won't take your predictions very seriously.  LOL

Of all the players who have played, only few are in the HOF, so that is irrelevant here.  Biz, you also predicted that Judge would be back in the minor leagues this season, so I won't take your predictions very seriously.  LOL

He’s not the Majors is he? I got Sanchez and Judge confused I guess. If Sanchez hits .180 next year again he’ll be gone.

Let’s not forget, for someone so special Judge still has less career homeruns than that younger little leadoff man Betts.

6’8” hitters in MLB don’t last very long or produce well for many years. History has proven that time and time again. Judge’s injury may be the start to something

I believe Judge is 6'7".  Frank Howard, Dave Winfield, and Daryl Strawberry were all 6'6".  Richie Sexon was 6'8".  They all had decent careers.  Only Winfield made it to Coopertown though.  But they were the few.

6-6” yes. 6-7 and 6-8 No

Damn, Biz.  Looks like your team slept on my Mets.

Lol a meaningless game. Cuevas or however you spell it, started. Followed by a bunch of guys trying out for postseason roster spots. I dont foresee Cuevas, Scott, Thornburg, etc. even on our roster come playoff time. The only thing on my mind right now is Sale and hoping he can throw 3 Inning Sunday and not feel pain afterwards.