If you wanted to move out of NY for better hunting what state would you move to ?

Hunter007

46 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

North Carolina, Georgia, or Florida, but there would be a lot of fishing involved. Strictly for hunting, I would move to Texas.

All i hear about texas is the deer and hogs taste like hot garbage compared to the northern states .

14 minutes ago, Fredbear2 said:

Ny has some great hunting ! Learn to manage your property and only shoot 3.5 and over and you will have great hunting . Believe me. 

What if we already know how to manage our property and the deer travel on to other peoples property?

1 hour ago, Fredbear2 said:

Ny has some great hunting ! Learn to manage your property and only shoot 3.5 and over and you will have great hunting . Believe me. 

That may be an over simplification.  NY is 330 miles from north to south.  Some areas are very mature forest, some are mostly ag, some are suburban.  On top of that, not everyone has a property big enough to hold and "manage" deer.  Very few people have a situation like the one you seem to enjoy.  Believe me.

39 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

That may be an over simplification.  NY is 330 miles from north to south.  Some areas are very mature forest, some are mostly ag, some are suburban.  On top of that, not everyone has a property big enough to hold and "manage" deer.  Very few people have a situation like the one you seem to enjoy.  Believe me.

That is a good question how much land do you need to hold and manage big bucks  on private land so you dont have to worry about them getting shot by Neighbors before they get a chance to get big and mature ?

Edited by Storm914

As a pure meat hunter/fisher,  it would be very tough to top NY.   With liberal bag limits and plentiful game and fish, we have it very good.    There has never been a year that the Good Lord has not blessed me with plenty of "free" protein, to supply my family of four.    Based on some of the reality shows I watch, that are filmed up in Alaska, it looks like they struggle more to live a subsistance lifestyle up there.   I can't imagine any of the lower 48 where it could be much easier.   I even appreciate our somewhat disfuntional politics and high taxes, because it limits the crowds and keeps our "secret" safe from too much hunting and fishing pressure.    Also, sharing the wealth with the less fortunate is not always such a bad thing.   If someone forced me to move at gunpoint, I would probably head for PA because that is about as close to NY as you can get.  It would be a very big step backward from the way things are currently however.  NY may not keep all the trophy hunters real happy, but it sure is good for us meat guys.    

• Like 1