Pulling old traps?

I found 3 old traps set next to an up-rooted root cluster the trapper must have used for backing.

I'm not really up to speed on all this stuff, and was wondering how the hell I can get them out without cutting the chains.

I gave them all a good yank, but they didn't budge except for one which I broke the jaws off trying to pry it up with a big stick. I'm not sure how deep the stakes are driven in, and maybe the roots have grown around them at this point.

Anyhow, they are old and have obviously been there for several years, and I'd like to add them to my little "outdoorsy find collection". Any suggestions short of hauling a crapload of tools back there to remove them?

The carcass in the background has nothing to do with this trap set. I was just out collecting some bones and thought I'd bring that little calves skull home for some clean up, and set the rest in front of a trail cam.

Also found a bigger hunk of bait for a cam set up, but I don't think I'll be dragging that one around the woods anytime soon,lol.Soo bad I just wanted to pop that sucker, but the stench was already unbearable!:bad:

DSC_0019.thumb.JPG.3886adc4db02c0ce257917e12104f94c.JPG

DSC_0017_01.thumb.JPG.d83f2f061cc5ded9c73df8def9be5c47.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG.08c111e4da214562dcff1c7ce0d187d7.JPG

• Like 1

If the trapper used earth anchors ( you’ll see a cable ) , good luck getting those out. If single staked with a long rebar ( 18”-24” ) there’s a chance   Double cross staked with rebar also a chance  I pity your back in any scenario though.They look like #2 victor coil springs. Good eyes to find them   Found 3 at same set?! Trapper was bound and determined to catch whatever he was after.  And who but you finds a whole cow in the woods ?! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

If the trapper used earth anchors ( you’ll see a cable ) , good luck getting those out. If single staked with a long rebar ( 18”-24” ) there’s a chance   Double cross staked with rebar also a chance  I pity your back in any scenario though.They look like #2 victor coil springs. Good eyes to find them   Found 3 at same set?! Trapper was bound and determined to catch whatever he was after.  And who but you finds a whole cow in the woods ?! 

I dug down to the top of the stakes and it looks like they were anchored with an I-beam post.

I'm just not sure how deep they're driven in. Thought maybe there was a special tool I could improvise for this instead of digging?

The cows I find in the farmers surface cemetery. Years  of cow bones piled up in there!

9 minutes ago, wooly said:

I dug down to the top of the stakes and it looks like they were anchored with an I-beam post.

I'm just not sure how deep they're driven in. Thought maybe there was a special tool I could improvise for this instead of digging?

The cows I find in the farmers surface cemetery. Years  of cow bones piled up in there!

If they’re a T bar stake they should be 24”. There is a tool that looks like a crowbar and works like a lever to help pull them and earth anchors. Buddy made one. It’s a heavy sob but he makes his 14 year old son schlep it lol. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

If they’re a T bar stake they should be 24”. There is a tool that looks like a crowbar and works like a lever to help pull them and earth anchors. Buddy made one. It’s a heavy sob but he makes his 14 year old son schlep it lol. 

Alright, thanks Jay!

I'll see if I can come up with something, otherwise I'll just cut the chains.

Definitely not worth too much effort or killing myself over, just thought it would be nice to have the full set up.

I used to have a bunch of these things, but they all got lost over the years. Some of my favorites were tagged with copper bands with the trappers name and addy punched in them.

15 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

The stakes are going to be criss crossed if it was any kind of a trapper. 

That’s what I don’t understand. Gang set in what looks like woods with 3 #2 coils. Nobody really sets canine traps in hardwoods.  Coon won’t pump out a single rebar stake like a coyote. And those traps are overkill on coon.  Wish I knew the scenario he was upon. 

34 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That’s what I don’t understand. Gang set in what looks like woods with 3 #2 coils. Nobody really sets canine traps in hardwoods.  Coon won’t pump out a single rebar stake like a coyote. And those traps are overkill on coon.  Wish I knew the scenario he was upon. 

The set by those cow carcasses says one animal to me, coyote. Old trapper taught me to " set for the best, then take the rest."

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Guessing it was next to the dump pile of old dead cows making it prime area for yote and fox.

• Like 1

Yep..., 40-50yds from the cow carcasses right at the property stake. I was guessing they were set for yote and fox, but the big, holey tree they were under was screaming of coon. These are set about 1 1/2-2 ft outside the root upheaval that would have made a great place to stash some bait or scent allowing the critters to walk right into it even with a cautious approach.

Probably took home a good variety of furs from that set by the looks of it. My interest in this stuff is growing every year but I haven't got around to taking the course yet to get started. I really think I'd enjoy this trapping stuff more than hunting any more.

• Like 1

Matt , I keep paying for my trapping license but haven’t set any steel in a few years. If you take the course we could dabble and or you could borrow some steel , and I have ample     Canines are fun and challenging, coons easy but sadly not worth the effort of putting up. Mink and muskrat fun to get your feet wet in more ways than one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wooly said:

Yep..., 40-50yds from the cow carcasses right at the property stake. I was guessing they were set for yote and fox, but the big, holey tree they were under was screaming of coon. These are set about 1 1/2-2 ft outside the root upheaval that would have made a great place to stash some bait or scent allowing the critters to walk right into it even with a cautious approach.

Probably took home a good variety of furs from that set by the looks of it. My interest in this stuff is growing every year but I haven't got around to taking the course yet to get started. I really think I'd enjoy this trapping stuff more than hunting any more.

Fur trapping is damned hard physical work. I quit when I was in my early twenties, even though the prices were still decent. I chose roofing, siding and framing houses over trapping. That should say something.

• Like 1

Usually if you can dig down 2-3" so you can access the top of the stakes and hit them with a hammer from side to side a few times they will loosen up enough to pull them straight out. I have used a claw hammer to get them out but one of these work better especially for the pounding.

hammer.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My back just went out looking at that   That’ll f r up the jaws in no time 

That's why I said to pound the stakes from side to side before tying to pull them. Besides if he plans on using them for wall hangers in won't make to much difference. I have seen it done with no damage. You just need to use a constant pull once they are loose. The connecting "S" hook could also be cut or straightened enough to remove it from the stake or chain.