New Predator Rig

Put some optics on the 22-250 I received for Fathers/Birthday this past week. Just have to hit the range, find a good bullet, and get zeroed at 200. Ill have to see how it feels when shouldered and on target, Might have to get Low rings for the scope. I like to be have my cheek down and tight to the stock and top of the gun. But we'll see.

What is everyone's favorite "somewhat" pelt friendly bullet? In case I come across a critter that is worth tanning or mounting. Was hoping to stick around 50-55 gr mark. 

Ill shoot factory ammo for the first year, and hope to get reloading for 2019. 

Cant wait for October 1st to get back out and call..  

20180623_175441.jpg

• Like 9

This is the Viper 6-20x44 came with sunshade yes. Has the dead hold reticle, which really like for coyote hunting. The eye relief, glass and 30 mm tube combo is just awesome. Love these vortex scopes. 

How do you like the diamondback?

17 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

What glass is that? I have a diamondback 4-16 - looks just like it. Came with the sunshade, right?

16 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

It's my first Vortex. So far so good. I was lusting after the same Viper you have, but went with the lower priced Diamondback.

I got this used off a friend of a friend for $275, otheriwse i would have done the same! lol 

I dont remember who he is set up with or how, but they get discounts for doing reviews with his youtube channel on several brand of scopes and their long range shooting. His youtube channel is Chuckintv.. If i remember correctly. Out of Jasper, NY. Last i heard he was doing some for sightron scopes. So i am told anyways lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, LET EM GROW said:

What is everyone's favorite "somewhat" pelt friendly bullet? In case I come across a critter that is worth tanning or mounting. Was hoping to stick around 50-55 gr mark. 

Ill shoot factory ammo for the first year, and hope to get reloading for 2019. 

Cant wait for October 1st to get back out and call..  

20180623_175441.jpg

what's the barrel twist? I believe the faster the twist the heavier the bullet.I'll look for the chart that gives bullet weight to twist ratio,but I shoot 55gr. through my remmy 1-14"twist.

NIce rig!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Rac!

This is 1:10" twist. I did hear the tighter the twist the heavier bullets stabilize better also..

Going to start with 55 gr. Really dont want to shoot much less than that, if anything go a tad heavier for the windier sets.  

On 6/25/2018 at 1:20 PM, LET EM GROW said:

I have had pretty good luck with Sierra match bullets both the 52 gr boat tail and the 53 gr flat base, they are hollow point bullets but but not made to expand. They are the most accurate bullets in most of my 22 centerfires and while they do kill well on varmints they are hard and do not blow up making a mess of things.

Al

I have been reading a lot on the sierra match bullets. I will definitely have to try these out.

I want to stay away from plastic tips, I really dont want them to explode in case I find the shoulder on a bigger doggy. 

I greatly appreciate it. I was given several boxes with the gun, as i shoot those up, i will pick these bullets up and get with a buddy who has a die and try to get some made up.

Thanks Al,

Bryan 

• Like 1

I did a test on these nightmare bullets from midsouth shooters. 2” group at 100yrds. For me being not so good of a shooter they’ll work. The cool thing is they sell 30 packs for $5 bucks. I’m going to do one more before buying bulk. Well worth trying. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/rifle-bullets

D5D55E05-A046-4E8C-B4F5-373CB5F689F0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 6:10 AM, rachunter said:

I did a test on these nightmare bullets from midsouth shooters. 2” group at 100yrds. For me being not so good of a shooter they’ll work. The cool thing is they sell 30 packs for $5 bucks. I’m going to do one more before buying bulk. Well worth trying. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/rifle-bullets

D5D55E05-A046-4E8C-B4F5-373CB5F689F0.jpeg

Thanks for the tip!

Sorry didnt realize there was another reply here.. I have been looking for one more good place to compare prices at. I normally would be all over the 30 packs.. but i have a buddy who wants to go in halves and reload.. He had the idea of reloading way too many at once and they didnt perform to his needs.. We will be loading a few from v max, ELD M, sierra MKHP, and berger bullets.. Ranging from 52-75 gr.. kinda excited.  

• Like 1