instinct? sixth sense?

Robhuntandfish

ever been driving down the road or walking and your head turns automatically and there is a deer there?  I swear when i walk the dog sometimes , im not looking in the woods for deer and just turn my head and there are deer over there like i knew somehow!?  lol  Same while driving all of sudden i am looking to the back of a field and just know there is a deer there.  Or been in the stand and you didnt hear or see one, but you just know one is coming out.  How the hell does this happen?.  My former MIL used to say I was a deer magnet (as i am cert not a chick magnet lol) as I always got deer or seen them. But cant tell you how many times this has happened esp in the stand.  That I can call that a deer is about to step out, so much it even gets some adrenaline going cause i know there is a deer nearby.  Ever happen to you?   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I think it has something to do with knowing the land/roads you are traveling, and sensing that something is out of place, it's sub-conscious. You do a double take, and sure enough, something is there (deer, turkey, bear, etc). Plus the fact that most of us are always on the lookout for game when we are driving around, whether we realize it or not. Add in the fact that a deer's coat is almost a reddish color this time of year, and it stands out pretty well against a green field or leafy woods opening.

A guy I hunt with in NC can spot a turkey in a field that most of us can't see with the naked eye. I finally had to ask him how he does it, and his response was "my eyes aren't all that great, but I drive these roads so much, I can't help but notice something different on the landscape". It made sense to me.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I think it has something to do with knowing the land/roads you are traveling, and sensing that something is out of place, it's sub-conscious. You do a double take, and sure enough, something is there (deer, turkey, bear, etc). Plus the fact that most of us are always on the lookout for game when we are driving around, whether we realize it or not. Add in the fact that a deer's coat is almost a reddish color this time of year, and it stands out pretty well against a green field or leafy woods opening.

I guy I hunt with in NC can spot a turkey in a field that most of us can't see with the naked eye. I finally had to ask him how he does it, and his response was "my eyes aren't all that great, but I drive these roads so much, I can't help but notice something different on the landscape". It made sense to me.

That's exactly how a deer does it to hunters..you enter their world and they know anytime something is out of place

• Like 5

First, it is a trait that some seem to have more than others and I do believe you can learn it by watching game or at least some can.  (Prey ID)  Some people seem to have the ability to do this, others not so much.  Same w/deer like stated, some are real keen on knowing when something is not right and others just seem to not pay attention or ignore the sign.  I think experience is a big factor with deer learning what is danger, the more they encounter the better they can identify. 

Second, we as hunters do this more than probably any other people on the planet so we tend to have a better idea on what to look for like the straight line of the back or white patch movement or even ear flickers and tail waives.

Third I think all mammals have an instinct when danger is present, kicking in that sixth sense, again some have it more than others.  

Last but not least, population is a big factor.  I have gotten that feeling more than once but it tends to happen in area with large population and or good movement in the location like a farm field.  Typically the deer come out at varied times and I am usually predicting when it will happen.  

I think it all adds up to both, instinct more than 6th sense due to past experiences but that 6th sense is crazy how you know something is present when nothing is visible or audible.  Or when you know something is watching you!  

This happens often when I am sitting in my chair watching TV. All of a sudden, I will turn my head and look out the window just in time to watch a deer crossing the yard, or a fox, or a coyote, or some other critter. I have no idea why at that particular moment, I took my eyes and attention of something I was intently watching on TV to look out the window. The angle that the TV is, is away from the window. It happens often enough so that I know it is not just a coincidence.

• Like 3