Animal planets hunting

Karpteach

They got a senator in DC to sponsor a bill, to be introduced in the summer session. The Humane society is a piece of crap group trying to end hunting and all animal OWNERSHIP. The scary part is a senator listened to their BS and is helping them.

The Animal Planet channel has become a very popular part of public viewing, and many of the non-hunting citizens (voters) will be exposed to that kind of bogus view of hunting and convinced that this is what all hunting is like. Years ago there was a similar type of program on one of the major networks that was entitled "The Guns of Autumn", and I would not be surprised if there are still a lot of people who were and are influenced by that depiction of hunting. There also is no way of knowing just how much of our diminishing hunter population is a direct result of these kinds of shows.

For those that think that simply ignoring this kind of slander toward hunting is an effective way of dealing with it, I assure you that this kind of thing is indeed a very big deal and something that we want to be well versed in. The problem is that they get to put out this trash on a national basis, and we have absolutely no ability to respond in the same effective fashion.

I don't intend to ignore their show and in fact would appreciate details as to the time and date it will be airing. I likely will even record it. I want to know what kinds of crap that they are feeding the public so I will be informed as to what points need rebuttal whenever I am involved in hunting discussions with non-hunters.

"Ignorance of what the enemy is planning is what gets you killed" words of one Master Chief Woleznekie US Navy.  These are the words that I have taken away from my time in the Navy. I think it applies in the hunting controversy today. If we do not know how these fools are preparing to battle us, we will not be ready. If the bill that will be introduced this summer becomes law it will jeopardize hunting, ALL HUNTING, not just canned hunts. This was found from a TEXAS hunting website, I hope it opens some of our eyes.

[/color][table][tr][td]

The HSUS Applauds Introduction of Federal Bill to Combat Captive Hunts

New undercover investigation to be shown on Animal Planet next week, highlighting need for federal law

The Humane Society of the United States commends U.S. Reps. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., and Brad Sherman, D-Calif., for introducing legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives that cracks down on the inhumane and unsportsmanlike practice of shooting exotic animals penned inside fences. The Sportsmanship in Hunting Act of 2011, H.R. 2210, would prohibit the interstate transport of exotic (non-native) mammals for the purpose of killing them for trophies or entertainment in fenced areas smaller than 1,000 acres, and would also ban remote-controlled hunting offered via the Internet. Original cosponsors of the bill also include Reps. Jim Moran, D-Va., George Miller, D-Calif., and Jim Langevin, D-R.I.

“There’s absolutely nothing sporting about hand-raising tame animals, trucking them across the country, drugging them, and shooting them inside fenced pens or from the comfort of your keyboard,” said Michael Markarian, president of the Humane Society Legislative Fund and chief operating officer of The HSUS. “The Humane Society of the United States is grateful to Representatives Cohen and Sherman for introducing this important bill, and we urge responsible hunters and animal advocates alike to help put the lid on canned hunts.”

Captive hunts, which are also known as canned hunts, are held at private trophy hunting facilities where hunters pay to kill semi-tame, captive, exotic animals—even endangered species—as guaranteed trophies. Because the animals are fenced in, they have no chance of escape. Animals at captive shooting facilities often come from private breeders, animal dealers and even zoos and circuses. Many hunting groups are critical of captive hunts because sportsmanship and fair chase are absent, and because transporting these animals across state lines can spread diseases to native wildlife populations.

“Canned hunts are cruel and unsportsmanlike,” said Rep. Cohen, who has led the fight to stop captive hunts in previous sessions of Congress. “The practice of killing tame, exotic animals within the confines of an enclosure where the animals have no chance of escape is contrary to the principles of fair chase, sportsmanship and common decency. Captive hunts are out of step with common principles governing responsible hunting and should be banned.”

[/td][/tr][/table]

The name of the show is Animal Planet Investigates: Captive Hunting Exposed, here is the schedule all played out apparently. You might be able to find it on Hulu or something like that if you really want to see it.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=15.15976.130237.0.0

Its a smear piece produced by the HSUS, an organization that is nothing but nonsense to begin with. They even picked the name of the organization to fool people into thinking they are associated with the local Humane Society that actually helps animals and runs many animal shelters, re-homing shelters. I honestly dont understand why they are allowed to get away with it. Animal Planet has turned into a bunch of garbage in the last few years. Its too bad too, it started out as a pretty cool channel to see animal documentaries on, almost like Nat Geo is now.

I saw the program on very early this morning. Believe it or not a couple of the canned hunting operations they video taped / spied on for the show are right here in NY. I knew there were operations here but didn't know this would be one of their focused areas (here and TX).

I bet it is just because they feel they can get a chunk of New Yorkers to say "WHAT?!?! Here in NY? I better put a stop to this!" There are many states with a bigger draw of such places, but none that would probably have a voice so loud against such places.

Just a shame that the non-hunting population will be swayed against true hunting by this sort of program about this false hunting.

Just great, NY really? This should get interesting.  I'm not a fan of the canned hunts, some of them really do need to go away.  Some of them are just fine (the free roam 1000+ acres etc).  Would I ever go to any of them to hunt? No way.  But are ALL of them "bad", nope.  YMMV, but that's me.

The humane society is sounding more like peta everyday, or are they one and of the same?

There's no question that there are things about these canned hunts that I find disgusting, and I really don't want anyone to ever associate my hunting with any part of that nonsense. However, I do get a bit concerned that legal action against canned hunts may evolve into action against legitimate hunting. There are no real clear lines that can be legally formed that do not allow erosion of those same legal actions into all hunting. So my hope is that hunting attitudes can be changed and peer pressure can be focused to eliminate or minimize these kinds of operations without resorting to coming up with new laws.

However, in the meantime you can be sure that these animal rights wackos will be working very hard to equate canned hunts with all hunting in general. So even if we have no intentions of ever participating in these questionable kinds of hunts, their existance still casts a shadow on the rest of us.

this is a show?

come to think about it i did see a guy wearing camo stalking up on game behind a fence. It cought my interest enough to question it but then it went to another preview to something else. all the H.S. crap is a bunch of BS...

That's it! I'm starting my own group called H.U.T.A

Hunters for the Unethical Treatment of A-holes.

Somebody set me up a website or something.

we will video you and put in on Youtube. You will become a youtube sensation over night...  :(

My 2 cents. Of course, HSUS will not rest until Hunting, Fishing and all animal use is abolished. We all know the BS Rhetoric they produce. But, I believe here is a real opportunity for Sportsman to stand up and let the non-Hunting Public know.... Yeah, we agree canned hunting is unethical, deplorable and disgusting. These are NOT sportsman that go on these canned hunts, they sure as heck aren't hunters. In Ethical Hunting the outcome is always uncertain. "Canned Shooting" is just the act of killing and the outcome is already predetermined - this is not hunting.

The problem is groups like SCI, seem to have no problem with canned hunts, anymore than the NRA believes everyone should be allowed to own guns with infinite magazine capacity. These extremes in both cases - all hurt us as sportsman. 

What is right is right, and what is wrong is wrong. Middle ground and common sense is necessary.