Dislocated shoulder

SteveB

Always shot a bow as a righty, recurve and long bow (#70.) But too many softball games (centerfield) and the old right shoulder just began to crunch. One solution. Shoot left-handed. I switched, practiced and won two trophies at the archery league. I shoot lefty now. Don't know if that would work for you. But it worked for me. Use your left hand and arm more. I think that using only one side makes us...especially as we get older ahem...lop-sided. And the side we use gives out. Its a little weird swinging a hammer left-handed at first, or even brushing my teeth as a lefty. Just my two cents and what works for me. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, SteveB said:

Any archers here ever dislocate a shoulder? What was your recovery like and long to feel comfortable pulling a bow?

Dislocated my right one last saturday (rh shooter). Worst pain of my life. Out for 7 hours with getting to and thru the ER. Pain was gone as soon as it went in. Wearing a brace now - just some soreness with limited vertical range of motion. Going slow till I see my ortho next week. 

shoulder1.jpg

Sorry to hear this Steve. I have never dislocated my shoulder but did my elbow. PT and pay attention to what they say. This season could be a wash but if not taken care of could effect you forever. 

14 hours ago, SteveB said:

Pulled a 40 lb recurve but can't shoot enough to feel confident with it. Dusted off my Elite, turned it down to 43# and was able to shoot enough to get it sited in. Off to the woods mid week.

be careful and good luck

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 6:50 PM, SteveB said:

Been reading a lot. Shoulder dislocations are 1 of the few injuries that is far harder for younger people to come back from. The younger you are at the 1st one, the higher the likelihood of having more and more serious ones. 

I'm 67 - 1st time. Was by far the worst pain I've ever had - way worse than my knee replacements. Amazed at how little it hurts now - and no bruising. Can actually lift the arm in the sling to near horizontal - probably further but not pushing it. See the ortho next week so just resting with ice and gentle movement/stretching for now. Thought at the time I may have ripped the cuff - actually feeling pretty fortunate right now.

Nice to have 1 advantage over you young pups;)

i'm curious. how'd you do it? speedy recovery man. this is where I'm pro-crossbow ;)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'm curious. how'd you do it? speedy recovery man. this is where I'm pro-crossbow ;)

Thanks!  I was trying to see how wide a split I could do between the dock and the boat. Turns out not that wide.

Not sure if I hit it on the dock or hanging on to the rope jerked it out.

• Sad 1