Shot placement of bear.

Bionic

8 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Learn something new everyday, lol.  

Anyone think thats an acceptable arrow setup at 48 lbs for a bear?

Hard to say. If you said you were shooting that arrow at 200 FPS i'd say I probably make sure it was really close...lol. of course then it might be a self defense scenario. Just kidding. Plenty of game taken with rigs like that.  If I was shooting it and I knew my groups were good and I had the practice in, the bear is offering a broadside at 25 yards (and I am in a treestand...lol)???? I'm taking the shot. 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Hard to say. If you said you were shooting that arrow at 200 FPS i'd say I probably make sure it was really close...lol. of course then it might be a self defense scenario. Just kidding. Plenty of game taken with rigs like that.  If I was shooting it and I knew my groups were good and I had the practice in, the bear is offering a broadside at 25 yards (and I am in a treestand...lol)???? I'm taking the shot. 

I hear ya, lol.

With all seriousness,  I will only shoot max 20 yards, I am not confident enough at this time any further out.  Also, where I do hunt, its about 10-15 yards is about all I have for room, a lane or 2 at 20 yards.  I do plan to up the draw weight about 5 more pounds in the future, and will need different arrows at that point anyway.  

Thanks

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Great pic but I’d still aim 4” left of that yellow dot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly I didn't even notice the yellow dot becasue that wasn't the middle of the middle I was shown. It is middle of nose to rump and belly to back. That puts it right where you are talking  about half way between the line and dot. 

• Like 2

My wife's bow is set up at 50 lbs and she's comfortable out to a 50 yard shot on a bear as long as you can obtain a well positioned shot. Bears have a substantial bone structure and shoulder, one wants to place an arrow about mid-line and angled straight through or slightly forward. A well placed shot of 40 or more lbs will cause a wound in the heart/lung area with major loss of blood using a quality broadhead. 

A well placed shot with a lower poundage will produce better results than a higher poundage shot with a poorly placed shot. In my opinion it's shot placement with an arrow that counts most.

Quite a few state have a 35-40 lbs minimum draw weight.

• Thanks 1

Middle of the middle. It allows more room for error. If you shoot too far forward, you run the risk of hitting the thick and large shoulder blade. It may result in a wounded bear or a dead bear about 1000 yards from where you last saw it. Good luck finding it.  I went on a bear hunt in Canada and the outfitter said always shoot middle of the middle and you'll find your bear within 40 yards. Everyone in camp got a bear except for one...someone who shot too far forward and hit the shoulder.

It's hard for the deer hunter to adjust, but trust me...middle of the middle.  Farther back than you would on a deer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

My wife's bow is set up at 50 lbs and she's comfortable out to a 50 yard shot on a bear as long as you can obtain a well positioned shot. Bears have a substantial bone structure and shoulder, one wants to place an arrow about mid-line and angled straight through or slightly forward. A well placed shot of 40 or more lbs will cause a wound in the heart/lung area with major loss of blood using a quality broadhead. 

A well placed shot with a lower poundage will produce better results than a higher poundage shot with a poorly placed shot. In my opinion it's shot placement with an arrow that counts most.

Quite a few state have a 35-40 lbs minimum draw weight.

Thank you for that.  This helps a lot.

26 minutes ago, rjrdomer said:

Middle of the middle. It allows more room for error. If you shoot too far forward, you run the risk of hitting the thick and large shoulder blade. It may result in a wounded bear or a dead bear about 1000 yards from where you last saw it. Good luck finding it.  I went on a bear hunt in Canada and the outfitter said always shoot middle of the middle and you'll find your bear within 40 yards. Everyone in camp got a bear except for one...someone who shot too far forward and hit the shoulder.

It's hard for the deer hunter to adjust, but trust me...middle of the middle.  Farther back than you would on a deer.

Thank you, if thats where one should aim, than thats what I will do if presented an opportunity.   I have zero issue with it now, you guys have mostly favored middle of the middle.  Prior to this thread, I had read lots of heated debates on other forums, this was a couple years ago.  However I did always hear to make sure that front arm was steppd forward to get that large shoulder blade away.  Thanks again!

Edited by Bionic
Spelling as usual

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That is great advice even in deer hunting if you get the chance. 

I agree, fortunately I have had success with a deer and bow, I had a nice pass through on my bow deer.  I will never forget that hollow thud sound when the arrow hit!

• Like 1

I have shot five, all were down  with one shot behind the leg. The heart essentially is located the same as where you think of for a deer BUT all the hair makes it look deeper chested than they are. I don't get what peeps mean by the "middle of the middle". that would break the back ribs, maybe clip the lungs and liver. I would simply aim half way down right behind the front leg. They aren't hard to kill, but the fat clogs up the wounds quickly, so even if they are dead on their feet and run a short distance, they can be hard to find. 

The bow hunters who are successful on bears where we were, are very patient to get a shot behind the foreleg as the bear stretches the leg forward opening the zone up. 

On 10/16/2018 at 8:46 PM, Daveboone said:

I have shot five, all were down  with one shot behind the leg. The heart essentially is located the same as where you think of for a deer BUT all the hair makes it look deeper chested than they are. I don't get what peeps mean by the "middle of the middle". that would break the back ribs, maybe clip the lungs and liver. I would simply aim half way down right behind the front leg. They aren't hard to kill, but the fat clogs up the wounds quickly, so even if they are dead on their feet and run a short distance, they can be hard to find. 

The bow hunters who are successful on bears where we were, are very patient to get a shot behind the foreleg as the bear stretches the leg forward opening the zone up. 

The one I just shot on the 13th took the top of the heart off on a totally broadside shot. it was a tad higher and forward then the middle. The middle horizontally does not put you at the back of the ribs. That middle they recommend is middle from nose to rump. not chest to rump. all that said it is basically 3-5 inches further back from what I would normally shoot on a deer. That is center of mass for the lung/heart area. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:34 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The one I just shot on the 13th took the top of the heart off on a totally broadside shot. it was a tad higher and forward then the middle. The middle horizontally does not put you at the back of the ribs. That middle they recommend is middle from nose to rump. not chest to rump. all that said it is basically 3-5 inches further back from what I would normally shoot on a deer. That is center of mass for the lung/heart area. 

Congrats on your hunt!

Where did you get  the bear?  

• Like 1