Can I field dress a deer after an hour long car ride?

Core

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

2017crossbow5.JPG.2025cc6b783a3184efcb20690f32c6c0.JPG

You got to get one of these for your mini-van.  They only cost about  $ 40 from Harbor Freight and U-Haul will mount a 2" receiver on most mini-vans for less than $ 200.   That way the tics and the blood and guts stay outside.  Also, way easier to load a heavy deer (like that ^^ 46" chest-girth slob), than a pickup truck.  That will be an even more important consideration if you leave the guts in.  

Uhaul put a 2" receiver on my outback for about $280 IIRC  ( No wiring )  Dealer wanted $880

1 hour ago, Core said:

I think she wants to be involved  :blink:

Absolutely.  We just gutted our first deer with my son (14) two weekends ago (youth weekend), with the help of a forum member here who has become a good friend.  The boy watched lots of youtube vids (as kids do), but it was nothing compared to the excitement of being there when one was field dressed.  

Now he's hooked even more.  And I couldn't be happier. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Depends on the shot and the temperature, but its definitely do able. One time I thought my shot was a little worse than it was and after an hour wait, I found it 40 yards from the shot and the meat was perfectly fine. 

Meat wouldn't spoil in an hour at 90 degrees

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigVal said:

That's a legendary pic wolc. And Larry I agree I now drive my truck pretty much just for hunting and towing, I drive a Hyundai to work! Lol

I left my pickup up at my father-in-laws place in the Adirondacks last weekend so he can use it for snow-plowing.   I don't care if I ever get it back.   It hardly ever snows around these parts of western NY anymore, and that low gas-mileage and stiff ride gets old after a while.    I also like the mini-van better for towing and launching our boat.  Just back in at the ramp, with the rear hatch open, and hop inside thru it to to drive it away.  My wife is not real good with a trailer or a boat, so that is a lot easier for us than when we use the truck.   It would not be so good with a heavier boat I suppose, but no problem with my 1200 pound aluminum one.  I just got to remember to keep the transmission out of overdrive while towing with the mini-van.       

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

You got to get one of these for your mini-van.  They only cost about  $ 40 from Harbor Freight and U-Haul will mount a 2" receiver on most mini-vans for less than $ 200.   That way the tics and the blood and guts stay outside.  Also, way easier to load a heavy deer (like that ^^ 46" chest-girth slob), than a pickup truck.  That will be an even more important consideration if you leave the guts in.  

155lbs Slob?  Really?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, Stay at home Nomad said:

The best hunting vehicle! I loved mine , remove middle seats , place bow or gun on rear seat , can get dressed inside, nap, easy to,pull deer in .

Great for hunting ,of course not macho enough for most guys ....Just  got my first pick up truck, what a pain to hunt out of . Gas mileage sucks , parking sucks ,ride sucks .

My van is a boss ride. I took it on a huge road trip recently with all my hunting gear and slept overnight in it with a sleeping bag. Since it's hunting season now I have the back row down, with the second row still remaining, and I just drive around with all my gear at all times (tree stand, bow, pack, all hunting clothes, etc.). Plus it will still get 26-27 on the highway. Strangely the more I have it the more I respect it for what it is.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, wolc123 said:

I have a hitch on it (2") and I have a harbor freight GC. The only reason I've NOT bought one of those is that when I've had deer in the back I keep a massive tarp in my car, so I can just haul the deer in to the back and cover it with the tarp. I have wanted one of those cages for years, just haven't pulled trigger yet! Meh, I'm gonna try and pick one up at lunch. Thanks for the reminder.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:30 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Uhaul put a 2" receiver on my outback for about $280 IIRC  ( No wiring )  Dealer wanted $880

$880 is insane. I bought my hitch online and put it on a few years back, mainly for carrying bikes. Put a light kit in it last year but have not even towed anything yet.

Edited by Core

On 10/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, wolc123 said:

OKay it was $47 with the 20% ubiquitous harbor freight code, but finally I got one :)

• Like 2