How often do you clean your guns?

do it the same way...never put away a gun without cleaning it, part of the hunting experience or lure. I also will even without a round being fired if the gun was out in heavy rain, or snow. Will let it warm up and then clean the outside with a old towel and then run a brush down the barrel with wd 40...or 100% silcon oil.

• 1 month later...

I have been amazed by the number of posts on hunting/ shooting websites by individuals advocating minimal maintenance on their firearms (I do not mean to imply that with this thread). I have a couple friends who keep complaining of the need to clean their firearms, yet I am consistently asked to unfreeze or clean thier guns. I wipe mine down after each time the firearm is handles, and wipe the bore, thoroughly wipe the exterior with a gun solvent followed by oil after each firing, and probably once a year at least, go through the cabinet giving each a thorough breakdown and cleaning regardless. Several of my arms are over 60 years old, shoot as well as any, are 100% reliable, and never have and any rust.

Grampa got me started shooting when I was about 12 years old. He told me I could never 'over-clean' a rifle or shotgun. Then when I was on the base rifle team in the service, that teaching was reinforced. Consequently like Daveboone I clean 'em after every shooting and periodically throughout the year.

Oh, and I only have 1 rifle, muzzleloader, and pistol. Why you might ask?

"Beware of the man with only one gun... for he knows how to shoot it."

I clean weapons after firing or if wet. During deer or turkey season I may not clean a shotgun if I fired until after the season. Interestingly I bought a Marlin .22 recently and the owners manual states "Since modern ammunition burns very cleanly, with normal use IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CLEAN THE BORE OF YOUR RIFLE." They only recommend cleaning if wet or foreign material is in the action or bore. I think I will still clean the firearm after a few hundred rounds are fired.

• 2 weeks later...
I clean after shooting also,except when I sight in before deer season,then all rifles stay dirty untill season is over.

I'm the same way once I've sighted in for the season I won't clean the barrel until the seasons over. I always wipe down my rifles after every day hunting. A rag with a little bit of Rem gun oil or WD40. Then I take a clean rag and wipe off the excess. If it was a snowy, rainy, or otherwise messy day I'll run a clean dry patch down the barrel but thats it.