Shooting high w/ no adjustment left

firehunter48

Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on and posted but had yet another knee surgery with some complications afterwards. BUT thankfully all is good now.

So the question at hand is this........My birthday just passed in the beginning of June right b4 I had my surgery. My parents, being the great parents they are, knew the need for a new bow for me and a bow (period) for my wife. So they ended up buying us both new Alpines for my birthday with all the goodies for mine and everything but arrows for hers, so nice for my parents to buy the wie a present on MY birthday right? So I FINALLY got to go shoot today for the first time since then (and yes it was beyond torture looking at it everyday and not being able to shoot it) and I cant seem to get my top pin set. I have always shot 3 pins (20,30,40) and I have the top pin almost (I mean really close) to the pin guard and the whole pin assembly cant go any farther up in the bracket. I was at the pro shop that it was bought from and we even went as far as to flip the mount to raise the whole thing. I am STILL shooting about 2 feet high...........I am beyond stumped at this point, the owner of the pro shop is scratching his head and so are his employees.

ANY and ALL suggestions are welcome. Here are the vitals on the bow:

Alpine Frenzy

54#

27" Gold Tip Velocity w/75gr heads

it came with cobra sights that I am personally not fond of but that is what came with it and I will no way be the person to look a gift horse in the mouth considering I havent had a new bow in 16yrs. I love the bow, shoots awesome groups unreal even after this being my first time with it/

So........there it is, thats my problem. Hope you guys can give at least a little bit of insight

Thanks to all in advance

btw.......really upsets me that the wife has NEVER shot a bow b4 and is out shooting me who has been shooting for almost 25yrs >:(

I would try another sight on the bow just to see if that is the problem or something else . If another sight also shoots high , then you have a problem elsewhere .

Is the string nock set right ?

If you are using a Peep , is it placed properly ?

Peep is actually set a little high already. Apparently, its supposed to be set about 5.5" (i guess, i didnt know of such a thing) and i am at 6.25" already and cant really go much higher. Double and triple checked the nock placement and that perfectly level as well. So this is why everyone invloved is scratching heads and i choose to turn to some people that i think would actually be useful in this situation, regular everyday people like myself that are doing it for the love of the sport and help others just because thats what we do

I just went thru this problem for the first time in shootng for over 40 years. I even had a bow shop for 20 years. I have from past history my own measurement that I set each bow to be the same, put on a good nock point and make sure I get good arrow flight, then check my measurement of were to put the kisser button and then the peep. I went out to shoot and could not find how my 4 pin sight would not come close to getting me on paper at 25 yards, I was a full 3 foot high. I went to a single pin 3D sight Tox sight. I found I still was having problem the arrows for were I should have been 20 to 25 yards was still very high on the sight bar. I finally said to myself the only way is to lower the peep, I did this by closing my eyes and drawing the bow and when I was locked in without the kisser button on the bow I would open them and found the peep was almost a full inch high. I then slid the peep down till when I opened my eye I was looking in the center of the peep. I then put a kisser on  and adjusted it to make sure that at full draw I was locked in. I also always place my nose on the string so I have 3 places that work together to give me good form. The reson for change was this is the first bow that is setup with a D-loop and has the new limb design. let us know how you make out.....

Maybe I'm way off, but shouldn't your peep be set LOWER if you are shooting high, not higher?  Wouldn't the higher peep aim the shot higher, making you have to push your pins up even higher to bring the shot down?

Maybe I'm way off, but shouldn't your peep be set LOWER if you are shooting high, not higher?  Wouldn't the higher peep aim the shot higher, making you have to push your pins up even higher to bring the shot down?

Bingo, I would find a new shop right away if they don't know that. Its pretty simple and they should know that, I would also make sure your arrow flight is good by paper shooting, if your rest and nocking point is off that would mess you up too.

Ditto on the BINGO ! The peep should be moved "down" , not up to lower the POI .

Triple ditto...The pin is the front sight and the peep serves as the rear sight. In order to get the bow to shoot lower, you must LOWER the rear sight...

Works the same way with firearms...My Old Fat Father( my affectionate nickname for him..He was skinny little guy) told me something years ago that I always remember for sighting in a gun.

Always move the REAR sight in the direction that you want the shot to go.  If you want to shoot higher, raise the rear sight. If you want to shoot lower, lower the rear sight, etc. etc.

I have always used the closed eye method for setting peep sight height.

1) Hold the bow as you would if you are shooting at any target

2) Start to draw the bow to your anchor point

3) Before you get to you anchor point close both your eyes

4) Once at full draw , open you sighting eye and look through the peep sight you will be able to see if it is high or low.

5) Adjust the peep up or down as needed and repeat until perfect.

6) Have someone who knows archery , check your form , if there is a problem

Bingo, I would find a new shop right away if they don't know that. Its pretty simple and they should know that, I would also make sure your arrow flight is good by paper shooting, if your rest and nocking point is off that would mess you up too.

Yup, find a new shop

First........ty for all the replies. Secondly, have you ever gotten so frustrated at the simplest problem that you over look the complete obvious???? Well I have to tell you that I am quite embarressed here since that it the complete case. At least on my part anyways. I have been shooting guns since I have been 6 y/o (37 now) and have been taught that same rule about the rear sight from day one as well. Feel like a complete idiot now but we all make mistakes right???

But at the same time, this is why I am happy I am a member of this forum. It is guys like all of you that make hunting and shooting what it is all about. I plan on going to shoot at the shop again early next week and will bring up their lack of attention to detail and the fact the they should've caught this from the start. Unforturnately, since I am just now starting to get around again, the plans for the compressed cardboard target in the yard had to be put on hold and this is the only other place we have to shoot for now. Plus with the problems I had, glad I wasnt on the yard and was sending arrows over the fence and down the street so that place will be best until we are sighted in. Thank you again for all the help and everyone keep up the good advice

so here is the problem with the whole idea of finding a new pro shop......NOT that i am against the idea in any way. Since we live in the greater buffalo area (eastern suburb), we have very few choices to begin with. the one that we go to (will NOT mention names of course) is the closest one that we have of the 4 in the area and even that one takes a good 25-30 mins to get to. so since we are as limited as we are here in this lovely area, dont really have any other choice. NOW, if any of yous live in the buffalo area and can reccomend their shop as better then the other, by all means, we will be more then happy to check them out

When I first started out bow hunting many moons ago There were bow shops all over the place.  Not a single one I would call a Pro shop either.  A few things that pop to mind about them.  First one I went too was recomended by many friends.  I bought my first bow and had them set it up.  Not really knowing any better at the time I dropped of the bow and well they set it up.  What boggles me is they did it all with out knowing my draw length or even were to set my peep sight to fit me.  Picked it up a few days later and practiced and practiced with it.  Couldnt group it, had a hard time anchoring it you name it.  I thought I was the worst archer ever.  Not knowing any better I thought it was me and just kept shooting till I got better with it.  Next season took it back there another guy looked at it and could not believe I could even group with it.  Draw length way off peep set wrong arrows to short you name it it was wrong.  Cost me alot to have him set it up right with no regards to the fact they were the ones who did it.  Never went back there again.  Next new bow a couple years later I went to a different shop and it basically turns out I was a guinea pig for all the new gadgets on the market and you have to have this and that.  Shoot these arrows blah blah blah.  Another shop I went to to just get arrows from has to be the best story of them all.  Back then I was shooting 70 plus pounds plus I have long arms, 30 inch draw length and the shop said he didnt have the arrows  in the proper size in stock I wanted and to come back in two days he would have the right ones fletched up and ready to go.  So 2 days later I go back and heres a dozen new arrows sitting all pretty in a box.  I get home and start to screw in a field point in one arrow when I notice something funny.  The insert seem to have a a pretty darn thick shaft around it. What I found upon inspection was a double walled arrow.  I call the guy and he said well I couldnt get the arrow shaft size you needed and had to cram a smaller arrow inside of another one to get the stiffness and weight right.  Needless to say those got returned.  Sure wish I had a bowhunting mentor in those days.  Next new bow I bought and had setup wasnt much of a pleasure either.  Decided at this point I pretty much knew everything I needed to get me on target but wanted to switch to a release.  Guy sets the bow up and took every critical measures to get it spot on for me.  He does the test firing on the indoor range first to make sure its good.  Clips the release on and while drawing back it fires, dude looks at me like what the hell just happened.  He does the same thing again.  Im chuckling to myself casue I know its him hitting the release.  Then I get to thinking if this dude doesnt know how to shoot a bow how can he be working on one.  He turns the bow over to me and the draw length is too short. He takes it back and while putting it in the bow vise the vise explodes my bow blows up and Im ripped.  New bow and its gone.  They proceed to want to put new limbs on it and I said no way take that bow of the shelf and I will go elswhere.  Mind you this was alot of years ago and I was barely 20 and stupid as well.  After that last deal I decided to buy any book or any video I could find for setting up my own bows the right way.  Bought the proper tools, a cable bow vise, fletching tools and do everything myself from there on out.  It is not hard to do at all.  Just a few basics things to it.  Annual maintence items and I probably saved hundreds of dollars doing it myself.  I have a few friends and family that bring their bows to me to work on now as well.  I really feel if a person doesnt want to do his own work or feel comfortable doing it themselves they should atleast know the basics of setting up a bow so they know the PRO shop is doing things right. You may struggle thinking its you when indeed its how the bow was setup.  That shop not knowing to lower the peep site is sad.  I would drive 3 hours to get to a better one before I let someone who didnt know what they are doing touch it.  To many variables that can go wrong at any time.  Not to mention we owe it to the game we pursue to take no chances on the equipment we use to harvest them.  Theres my 8 cents (inflation)

Its the same no matter what bow/gun shop or taxidemy shop you go to..unless its the owner your dealing with an employee that may or may not be fully trained to the owner's standard. they get in a rush and you get screwed. Happened to me 2 years ago. always went to the same shop off season and had bow looked over by owner. Had a problem with a limb delaminating just before the season,shop was busy had to order my weight limbs which took 2 weeks to come in had seasonal help replace limbs, when set back up they called and said all set. Do to distance i had my brother pick it up on way out to camp. fortunatly i was usuing my old bow. I was all excited and took new bow to try it(as i only had 2 weeks left in season) and it was all over the place... I looked it over and found the problem quickly.. the employee renocked it level off the shelf not off the dropaway rest!!! It was almost 1 1/4 in low!! I used my old bow rest of the season and took the new one in after season was over and the owner fixed it no charge apologising profusly even threw in some brodheads for my trouble.... The problem might not be the shop but the employee working there...

I took my bow to a shop where I had purchased it to have the draw adjusted from 29" to 28" . I had put a drop away rest on the bow and had the cord fastened to the down cable . The shop owner fastened it to the cable slide . I shot it a few times and was having a problem . The rest didn't drop fast enough . I bought some cord and fixed it the way I had originally set it up and was back in action .

A lot of this stuff you can do yourself .

YES right on the peep should move to oppsite of the front to achieve a sight in.  LOWER THE PEEP

so here is the problem with the whole idea of finding a new pro shop......NOT that i am against the idea in any way. Since we live in the greater buffalo area (eastern suburb), we have very few choices to begin with. the one that we go to (will NOT mention names of course) is the closest one that we have of the 4 in the area and even that one takes a good 25-30 mins to get to. so since we are as limited as we are here in this lovely area, dont really have any other choice. NOW, if any of yous live in the buffalo area and can reccomend their shop as better then the other, by all means, we will be more then happy to check them out

There is no real need to take this bow to a shop.  Go and buy some serving, and search on you tube how to tie in a peep.  Once you know this untie the one you got and s,lid it down and retie it.  Loosen and retighten your loop to line up. its a 10 minute job.

• 3 weeks later...