Right way to use scent products?

OldNewbie

I've been experimenting with the aerosol spray lures available now like Buckbomb and Tink's 69 Hot Shot.. It occurred to me that if you set up facing the wind like you are supposed to, and set off one of the bombs or liberally spray the kill zone in front of your stand/blind, the scent will just blow back toward your stand, and the deer that are further upwind of you won't get a whiff. You could go walking around in the upwind area where the deer are and use a drag or spray can to create a scent trail leading to your stand, but I've been staying out of that area for fear of spooking/flushing the deer.   

So under what conditions/set ups are these products really most effective?  Calm days? Windy days?  Hillsides vs. flat fields?  Do you worry about wind direction when using them?  Make a scent trail or just spray near stand?  Anyone have rules of thumb or tricks of the trade to share? 

I bought two buck bombs last week to use this past weekend. I used one of them. What I did was about 150 yds away from my stand I gave it a spray about every three steps. Then when I got to 20 yds of my stand I emptied what was left of the can where I would have loved a buck to stand and give me a shot. It didn't bring anything in but I did have a fawn run over the trail and paid it no mind. The stand I was hunting is placed between bedding and food (corn field) and the way the wind was blowing the scent would have been going into the corn instead of bedding which is also exactly the wind I want to hunt the stand. I was wondering if I would have had more luck if it was reversed and was blowing toward bedding. Not that you got your question answered but that is what I did with the buck bomb. I am going to try it again tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, OldNewbie said:

I've been experimenting with the aerosol spray lures available now like Buckbomb and Tink's 69 Hot Shot.. It occurred to me that if you set up facing the wind like you are supposed to, and set off one of the bombs or liberally spray the kill zone in front of your stand/blind, the scent will just blow back toward your stand, and the deer that are further upwind of you won't get a whiff. You could go walking around in the upwind area where the deer are and use a drag or spray can to create a scent trail leading to your stand, but I've been staying out of that area for fear of spooking/flushing the deer.   

So under what conditions/set ups are these products really most effective?  Calm days? Windy days?  Hillsides vs. flat fields?  Do you worry about wind direction when using them?  Make a scent trail or just spray near stand?  Anyone have rules of thumb or tricks of the trade to share? 

The issue you identify is one of the reasons I have never bothered with scents.  I guess it could work if you are hunting a slight cross wind (or just off wind) where the sent is blowing in front of you.

• Like 1

i use aerosol spray near roundabout trails where deer would normally stand there and pick up on my boot scent.  i use antler ice around my stand hanging on wicks but only in November and i'm not really convined yet it actually works... i do find it most important to see if your scent is rising up, getting knocked down, traveling or following across a ridge, etc.. that determines what i do or where i sit

Hmm. Some ideas there.. so it might be better used as a cover scent, especially on the rare day with an east wind when my own scent would be blowing out into the woods/bedding areas. And maybe just in the kill zone to get a buck to stop and sniff for a few minutes vs. walking right by. And not so much as a long distance attractant.

Tried rattling and grunting multiple times and nothing to show for it either.

Last year while sitting an elevated box blind on my place nature called. I hadn't brought my pee jug so I just peed out the door of the blind onto the ground. An hr or so later a doe came out 100 yds away. She smelled my pee and came walking straight toward the blind. She walked up and literally put her nose in the pee. She never huffed puffed or snorted. She just turned around and walked back the way she came. Could have taken her coming or going. This year I have had up to 10 deer within 100 yds and stood up in blind and peed in jug. Nothing spooked. I'm beginning to believe that we have given deer these super natural powers that they really don't have. I try to be still. I try to pay attention to scent and wind. I try not to make noise. But the main thing I do is try to be comfortable and have fun. Because what I have found determined success when comes to deer hunting more than anything else is sitting the woods as much as possible. I take my phone, a book, back pack full of snacks and drinks. I pee when I have to. I stretch when I need to. I've coughed and sneezed. I've shot predators and kept sitting and seen deer 20 minutes later. Last week I literally sat a stand from 6am to 530pm and saw deer all day long.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use it to try and cover my scent going in by spraying every couple yards or where i have to cross trails.  Then sprayed it in my shooting lanes.  Seemed to work last weekend for me i could see the mist to watch the wind direction and had deer come from that direction.  They didnt come in from that way but at one point the wind was blowing right into their nose and they didnt seem to bother with my scent.

i use them mostly on scrapes to keep them active.  I have run a scent line and had it work a couple of times.  If i have a scrape close by i would spray some from there on the ground in a couple spots or bottom of my boot towards my stand.  Had a buck one time follow it to the tee but it was only a 4 point.  I also spray some  estrus at times where i want a buck to stop for a shot on a trail.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I used the Tinks 69 Hotshot yesterday. I think it would be best used in conjunction with wicks. It puts a lot of scent out quickly, but it seems to dissipate quickly. I think putting some wicks up around the area and then spraying the hot shot into the wind or every half hour or so might help. Like I said, someone or something was grunting at me yesterday but wouldn’t walk out into my shooting lanes so i never saw it.