Finally some great news.

wdswtr

Im sure some of you guys can imagine or have a neighbor who is the outlaw of the neighborhood,  you know the guy who has his wife get a license and his son get a license and then throw out a pile of apples in a field that borders the 2 acres they own that is posted and they have no permission to be on,  you know the guy that shoots the doe with 2 fawns and all the while the fawns are running in circles wondering what just happened they reload their muzzleloader and shoots one of the fawns then reloads again and sits for another hour or so when the last of the 2 fawns pop their head out and finishes that one off too.  You know the guy that you find sitting in your treestand and call the DEC on him yet again.  You know the guy who gets busted for poaching at night in the very same field after losing his hunting license for 5 years and gets that slap on the wrist and a small fine.  Well fellow ethical hunters there is a 4 SALE sign in his front yard.  Age is catching up heart attack got him to thinking and the A-hole is moving to Florida on a permanent basis.  It truly is great news especially since I have many pictures on my trail cam of a doe with 2 fawns hanging out in that very same field.  If I had the money I would buy the place and burn it to the ground.

Thanks guys I am really excited about this.  Deer population here is not all that great and this guy moving out and some qdm will only help.  Im on the salmon river so more than likely like all the other places around here it will be an out of state fisherman who ends up with it for a camp.  Land value is higher than the local economy can handle but those out of staters eat it up.  It sure will be nice sitting in my treestand and not have to think about where or what antics this guy is up to know.  Food plot is done and ready for seed in august.  Will be nice to know that all that work didnt go into a selfish sob's freezer. 

Great news ! I had the same thing happen, the bully on the hill has sold.

He's " a big hunter" who was an a hole. My biggest mistake was a couple bow seasons ago last couple days of bow, at dusk deer pour out into the field, I stay on stand hoping they move and I can slip out. Then BANG a single shot from his nearby land and  blind . I should have called my dec cop buddy but I blew it.

So couple days into gun he stops by to tell me his kid got that big one  first day of gun, right where the shot was in bow......

"Oh really" , " say what was that gun shot during bow from that blind "?

He had nothing more to talk about........ It still eats at me I could have caught him !

Larry I can relate to the ( i wish I made that call).  When I finally did it made it pretty clear I wasnt going to let this crap fly anyore.  I think this in fact was one of this guys deciding factor in leaving as well.  He has no land and been trespassing for more years than I care to think.  Dude is selling everything, hunting clothes, guns all of it in a yard sale.  He wont get a dollar from me.  Is it even legal to sell firearms in a lawn sale?  Who cares he out.  Im am pumped up for the future of deer hunting in this area.  He is the last of the outlaws that I can think of.  1 other moved out last year and one quit hunting a few years before that. 

if you really had a guy like this right next door to you why didnt you have him busted, heck with a doe and 2 fawns hangin in his garage it woulda been an easy sack for the DEC? ??? i too often hear these tales of the poachers nearby or up the road etc, etc, then i ask "have you reported them" and i get wishy washy answers??

if they're really poachers nearby and not just imaginary boogie men, and you dont turn em in, man your as guilty as they are!

the DEC can walk right onto your land and right into your garage or shed if they think your not on the up n up, so if you really know someone is breaking the law, call em in every single time for heavens sake, once these guys get known by local law and the DEC it gets very hard for them and very expensive. if your just makin up scary stories "stop" its bad for hunters who have enough strikes against them already..

every non hunter i know has a checklist of poacher stories about this nieghbor or that guy at work or even sometimes a relative!!

if you really had a guy like this right next door to you why didnt you have him busted, heck with a doe and 2 fawns hangin in his garage it woulda been an easy sack for the DEC? ??? i too often hear these tales of the poachers nearby or up the road etc, etc, then i ask "have you reported them" and i get wishy washy answers??

if they're really poachers nearby and not just imaginary boogie men, and you dont turn em in, man your as guilty as they are!

the DEC can walk right onto your land and right into your garage or shed if they think your not on the up n up, so if you really know someone is breaking the law, call em in every single time for heavens sake, once these guys get known by local law and the DEC it gets very hard for them and very expensive. if your just makin up scary stories "stop" its bad for hunters who have enough strikes against them already..

every non hunter i know has a checklist of poacher stories about this nieghbor or that guy at work or even sometimes a relative!!

I think the problem is that most of these guys are locals. If you are not a local and you report them you have to worry about finding your camp burned down the next time you are up.

Dave

Let me quote myself.  "You know the guy that you find sitting in your treestand and call the DEC on him yet again.  You know the guy who gets busted for poaching at night in the very same field after losing his hunting license for 5 years and gets that slap on the wrist and a small fine."  When I started making the calls it was a he said she said game, as far as the doe and 2 fawns hanging it was a few simple words from this yahoo that nothing could be done without proof.  Him his wife and his son all had a muzzleloader license and all had the antlerless tag and all 3 deer where tag. Without proof that this guy shot all 3 and used his family tags there was no where for the DEC to go.  I also stated he lost his hunting rights for 5 years at one point.  He was also arrrested for trespassing.  If you knew our town judge and his lack of disipilnary actions you would better understand why this has happened for so many years. 

OK the local judge is probably his father in law or something, you still keep calling and when that doesnt work call the state police and the DEC directly. then make it your job to catch this clown on camera, hey if you say you know for sure he is doing all this stuff then you more than likely witnessed it from your land, get a telephoto lens, trail cams or whatever it takes. believe me you drag morons like this into court and fine them enough times they will give it up, after he losses a couple firearms and he's up into the thousands in fines he will change his ways...

I had a DEC officer tell me...we know the guys out there doing this crap...and I'll tell ya it gets old when you go to a local judge and the guys you ticketed are 1 relatives  or 2 drinking buddies at the legion and your made to look like an as in court

The DEC really doesn't care who shot the deer as long as it's tagged...as long as that attitude prevails the type of situations where one guy goes out and shoots 5 huge bucks and gets away bragging about it will remain....and everyone on this site...I'd bet a $1 to a dounut knows at least one

If the local judge was his father in law, then he can not hear the case. Granted it is tough to not see someone you know when magistrating in your own township, but that should not matter.  But hey the guy has moved on and became someone elses pain in the you know where.  Hopefully the next guy he terrorizes does the right thing.   

Nope the judge isnt related to him in any way.  I said it before if you knew our judge ( Im related to him by the way) you would understand why these guys get away with things for so long.  To me he is just plain scared to drop the hammer on any local since he has to live amongst these yahoos.  Ever hear about the  Salmon River Thug attack?  If so you wont believe the outcome of that one either.  Im just glad he is gone and pitty the people who have to put up with him next. 

Nope the judge isnt related to him in any way.  I said it before if you knew our judge ( Im related to him by the way) you would understand why these guys get away with things for so long.  To me he is just plain scared to drop the hammer on any local since he has to live amongst these yahoos.  Ever hear about the  Salmon River Thug attack?  If so you wont believe the outcome of that one either.  Im just glad he is gone and pitty the people who have to put up with him next.

all is lost when you succumb to fear, very sorry :)