"refinishing" an old shotgun

So I "refinished" my old Savage 24 O/U.  I've had this gun since I was about 10 yrs old, and its also my first gun.  I dont ever plan on selling it, and I dont care what its value is, so I'm not worried about that side of it.  I have attached a before and after pic.  All I used for the furniture is flat OD green, and the action is just flat black.  I will probably buy a bluing kit for the barrel.  I dont have the but stock finished up yet, still need to put one more coat on it, and then some clear.  So far I think its taking on a new life.  Pictures are sort of crumby.  I took them with my phone.  Ill post better ones when its all assembled.

Just thought I'd share.

post-1107-131455462592_thumb.jpg

post-1107-131455462849_thumb.jpg

Here is the Butt Stock, still drying, and needs clear coat.  I plan on adding a "grind to fit" butt plate from Kickeez, and MAYBE a cheek pad from NoKick, I'll probably have to get something to mock on it before I get one.  This gun is  only going to be used at the range, I dont plan on hunting with it anymore.

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/grind-to-fit-recoil-pads.php

http://www.nokick.com/CHEEK_EEZ_Cheek_Protector_by_KICK_EEZ_p/703-000.htm

post-1107-131455464008_thumb.jpg

I liked the look of the cherry color myself, however it did have alot of knicks and dings that you really couldnt see in the picture.  After sanding it all down, I would have had to putty up some spots, that would have stuck out like a sore thumb had I tried to re-stain it, so that was also part of my decision to just paint it.

First of all nice work on your gun. Too bad you couldn't keep the stock original but I really like the green too. I have a westernfield model 550k pump shotgun that was given to me by my dad. I have no idea other then it is pre 1968 because it has no serial number and its made by mossberg. Anyways the stock is in really nice shape but the barrel went awhile with out any tlc so its pitted to where oil doesn't cover it up. I'd really like to re-blue it but i've heard some nasty stuff about the chemicals used to refinish it. How much work and time does it take to do this? And not to hi-jack your thread but does anyone know anything about this gun?

robc,  it depends if you hot or cold blue it.. they use different chemicals and take differnt application methods. you def do not want to hot blue in your kitchen or your wife/girlfriend will kill you..(lesson learned the hard way)

I originally wanted to do it in camo, but that didnt come out as good as I wanted it too.  I have seen some of the newer Remingtons were done in a flat olive green color and I thought they looked really cool.  So I just found a green at the store that I thought would be the closest to what I remember from the store.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  I just need to get a pad or plate for the butt and down the road, I plan on rebluing the barrels, but for now I'm happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...