Senate Majority Passes Sweeping Anti-Gun Violence Legislation To Protect New Yorkers

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/senate-majority-passes-sweeping-anti-gun-violence-legislation-protect-new

The historic legislation passed by the Senate Democratic Majority includes:

• Extreme Risk Protection Orders: This bill, S.2451 introduced by Senator Brian Kavanagh, allows law enforcement officials, family and household members and certain school officials to seek a court order requiring a person likely to harm themselves or others to relinquish any firearms in their possession.
  • Effective Background Check Act: This bill, S.2374 introduced by Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris, establishes an extension of time up to thirty calendar days for national in-state background checks.
  • Bump Stock Ban: This bill, S.2448 introduced by Senator Luis Sepulveda, prohibits the possession of a device that accelerates the rate of fire of a firearm.
  • Preventing School Districts from Allowing Teachers to be Armed: This bill,S.101A introduced by Senator Todd Kaminsky, prevents K-12 schools from authorizing anyone other than a security officer, school resource officer, or law enforcement officer to carry a firearm on school grounds.
  • Gun Buy Backs: This bill, S.2449 introduced by Senator Shelley Mayer, directs the State Police to devise regulations for gun buyback programs so that all buyback programs across the state are operated consistently with uniform best practices.
  • Out of State Mental Health Records: This bill, S.2438 introduced by Senator Anna Kaplan, will require out-of-state applicants for gun permits to allow New York permitting authorities to review out-of-state mental health records.
  • Sad 1

What about going after the root causes of violent behavior?  What about a real war on illegal drugs the major common denominator linked to gun violence?  What about the failed welfare system that creates single mother families whose children are placed at higher risk of being a victim of violent crime or becoming a violent criminal?  What about keeping violent criminals locked up for life (ex. William Spengler) to ensure they never repeat harming others?

12 minutes ago, ADK Native said:

What about going after the root causes of violent behavior?  What about a real war on illegal drugs the major common denominator linked to gun violence?  What about the failed welfare system that creates single mother families whose children are placed at higher risk of being a victim of violent crime or becoming a violent criminal?  What about keeping violent criminals locked up for life (ex. William Spengler) to ensure they never repeat harming others?

That would not be on their agenda:fie:

These leftist are attacking people they know would never vote for them, while simultaneously protecting the scum they know will vote for them.

Notice how they are all too happy to allow the currently incarcerated and convicted felons  to vote.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

• Extreme Risk Protection Orders: This bill, S.2451 introduced by Senator Brian Kavanagh, allows law enforcement officials, family and household members and certain school officials to seek a court order requiring a person likely to harm themselves or others to relinquish any firearms in their possession.

So what protections will a law abiding firearm owner have AGAINST false accusations from law enforcement officials, family and household members and certain school officials?  What penalties will be imposed upon them?  Is protections for firearm owners included in this law?

Effective Background Check Act: This bill, S.2374 introduced by Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris, establishes an Effective Background Check Act: This bill, S.2374 introduced by Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris, establishes an extension of time up to thirty calendar days for national in-state background checks. for national in-state background checks.

So even though the FBI has no problem with a person who is purchasing a firearm, New York State can have a problem?  New York State does not trust the FBI's background check system?

Apparently that extension of time up to thirty calendar days for national in-state background checks is to allow time for a "back door" look at social media and other invasive actions.

6 minutes ago, ADK Native said:
  • So what protections will a law abiding firearm owner have AGAINST false accusations from law enforcement officials, family and household members and certain school officials?  What penalties will be imposed upon them?  Is protections for firearm owners included in this law?

Nope, none whatsoever, zip, nada.  It's called lack of due process and it is completely unconstitutional.

3 minutes ago, ADK Native said:

So even though the FBI has no problem with a person who is purchasing a firearm, New York State can have a problem?  New York State does not trust the FBI's background check system?

Apparently that extension of time up to thirty calendar days for national in-state background checks is to allow time for a "back door" look at social media and other invasive actions.

That's just for now.  Soon this will be extended to a year, and eventually, whenever.

Effective Background Check Act: This bill, S.2374 introduced by Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris, establishes an Effective Background Check Act: This bill, S.2374 introduced by Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris, establishes an extension of time up to thirty calendar days for national in-state background checks. for national in-state background checks.
Then buy your long guns out of state

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Yes........for now until NY requires all long guns be registered and they want to know where you obtained them.

Gun registration is not new to New York State.  New York City requires all long guns be registered, New York State requires all "military looking rifles" be registered and of course all handguns be registered.  Makes gun haters feel good knowing the identity of the law abiding gun owners and where their guns are located.  

Registration of long guns will be called ANOTHER "gun safety measures"  created by a government unwilling or unable to understand the root causes of gun violence..

On 1/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, ADK Native said:

WTF are you talking about? "A failed welfare system that creates single mothers? ( ETC)..single mothers are created by low life scum who run away from the responsibility of having a child. Women do it too! From all walks of life, not juts the poor, and it's NOT race oriented! I know plenty of white DB's that ran away leaving a single parent behind.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, ADK Native said:

So what protections will a law abiding firearm owner have AGAINST false accusations from law enforcement officials, family and household members and certain school officials?  What penalties will be imposed upon them?  Is protections for firearm owners included in this law?

NONE! But don't worry, the NRA and all the other organizations people pay to stop this from happening will make this all go away! Soon, so they promise.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:15 PM, The Jerkman said:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You can try that, but many states from I have started to learn, won't sell long guns to a NYer. I could be wrong on this one.

On 1/30/2019 at 4:48 PM, ADK Native said:

Yes........for now until NY requires all long guns be registered and they want to know where you obtained them.

Gun registration is not new to New York State.  New York City requires all long guns be registered, New York State requires all "military looking rifles" be registered and of course all handguns be registered.  Makes gun haters feel good knowing the identity of the law abiding gun owners and where their guns are located.  

Registration of long guns will be called ANOTHER "gun safety measures"  created by a government unwilling or unable to understand the root causes of gun violence..

WTF again! All military looking rifles have to be registered? Please define "Registered" and "Military Looking". My M&P 15 22.lr didn't have to be registered, just the basic NICS. It looks and acts dead on like those 'scary black guns' in the higher calibers. The "root cause" of gun violence is stupid people doing stupid shit with guns! No more no less!

This isn't going to stop! Threads like this make no sense unless you look at the whole picture, not just being narrow minded.

I think I need to post something in the beer thread now, at least that thread has people who make sense.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, Rob... said:

WTF are you talking about? "A failed welfare system that creates single mothers? ( ETC)..single mothers are created by low life scum who run away from the responsibility of having a child. Women do it too! From all walks of life, not juts the poor, and it's NOT race oriented! I know plenty of white DB's that ran away leaving a single parent behind.

Ever heard of "Welfare Queens"?  They work the system and never identify the father so they can get the cash.  The state gives them more each month than the father would.  They also keep having kids once on welfare so they can get even more cash every month.  The fathers are often still around, but not if the state is asking.

NONE! But don't worry, the NRA and all the other organizations people pay to stop this from happening will make this all go away! Soon, so they promise.

When the govt overwhelms the system with gun control laws faster than the pro gun groups can get them into a court, it isn't going to happen soon, but it will happen.  Those gun groups will even benefit the people who don't send them any money and criticize their existence.  They are fully aware many gun owners have little understanding of such things.  Many slaves were happy in bondage and couldn't read, but the abolitionists still freed them, even when detractors said they weren't accomplishing anything.

You can try that, but many states from I have started to learn, won't sell long guns to a NYer. I could be wrong on this one.

I know some states allow you to buy long guns in other states, some require the other state to be an "adjoining state", some do not allow it.  Not sure what NY allows either.

WTF again! All military looking rifles have to be registered? Please define "Registered" and "Military Looking". My M&P 15 22.lr didn't have to be registered, just the basic NICS. It looks and acts dead on like those 'scary black guns' in the higher calibers. The "root cause" of gun violence is stupid people doing stupid shit with guns! No more no less!

Register - To tell the state what you have so they can keep it recorded.  Military Looking - Whatever the state decides it is.  It won't be long before the govt decides ALL firearms MUST be registered.  Soon after that, many firearms will be CONFISCATED!  The root cause of "gun violence", as well as a lot of other violence, is crime.  Criminals, engaged in dangerous illegal activity, tend to use guns in their criminal wars to kill enemies or to survive.  Few guns in the hands of responsible, law abiding gun owners are being used for violence.

This isn't going to stop! Threads like this make no sense unless you look at the whole picture, not just being narrow minded.

The whole picture?  Perhaps you could illustrate what it looks like so we could discuss the fine details further.  I'm at a loss to understand what part of the whole picture determines responsible gun owners should be the one's oppressed by all the gun laws, when they are not the problem in the picture.

I think I need to post something in the beer thread now, at least that thread has people who make sense.

It's complicated.  We're here to help.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, Steuben Jerry said:

I have to say that I've been expecting worse. This is pretty tame so far. Of course the legislative season is very young.

It's all fluff  seems like .

Politicians acting like they did something when they really did not do nothing we can only hope this is the path they stay on and not get to crazy on us .

I think these are regulations geared  just to try to go after the real known crazys  cops deal with,   I mean if they don't abuse it , it could be ok thing only time will tell I guess .

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

These are calculated baby steps designed to soften resistance and garner public support for more.  Eventually this is where it winds up.

bootface.jpg

It's very possible that is the path they are on but with trump and the supreme court going more conservative I'm less worried about it now .then I would have been a few years ago ,

But you alway have to be vigilant of government abusing power .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 1:17 PM, Rattler said:

These leftist are attacking people they know would never vote for them, while simultaneously protecting the scum they know will vote for them.

Notice how they are all too happy to allow the currently incarcerated and convicted felons  to vote.

What we are seeing today reminds my of my reading of the French Revolution. The "Republicans" emptied the prisons in order to create chaos and have criminals freed to do their dirty work for them in the building of their new order. The Dems have shown favor to Barabbas over Christ. No surprises there i guess.

Edited by The_Field_Ager
  • Like 2