2019 – 2020 DUCK SEASON DATES

Larry

the DEC has posted the 2019 -20 dates for duck seasons for all zones. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, remember the mallard bag will be cut in 1/2 to 2 birds with only 1 can be a hen. Also the canada goose season in some parts of the state will be cut to 30 days and 2 birds and there will be no late season in other parts of the states.

Western Zone - Beginning the third Saturday in October, running 23 days, ending on a Sunday; a second split beginning on the last Saturday in November, running 37 days, and ending on a Sunday (e.g., Oct. 19, 2019 - Nov. 10, 2019 and Nov. 30, 2019 - Jan. 5, 2020). Western Zone Structured Decision-Making Analysis and Results

• Northeastern Zone - Beginning on the first Saturday in October, running for 23 days, ending on a Sunday, and a second split beginning the first Saturday following the closure of the 1st split, running 37 days, and ending on a Sunday (e.g., Oct. 5, 2019 - Oct. 27, 2019 and Nov. 2, 2019 - Dec. 8, 2019). Northeastern Zone Structured Decision-Making Analysis and Results

• Southeastern Zone - Beginning the third Saturday in October, running for 44 days, ending on a Sunday, and a second split beginning the first Saturday following the closure of the 1st split, running 16 days, and ending on a Sunday (e.g., Oct. 19, 2019 - Dec. 1, 2019 and Dec. 7, 2019 - Dec. 22, 2019). Southeastern Zone Structured Decision-Making Analysis and Results

• Long Island Zone - Beginning on the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving, running for 9 days, ending on a Sunday, and a second split running for 51 days, opening on a Saturday, and ending on the last Sunday in January (e.g., Nov. 23, 2019 - Dec. 1, 2019 and Dec. 7, 2019 - Jan. 26, 2020). Long Island Zone Structured Decision-Making Analysis and Results

DEC will announce tentative bag limits for all migratory game birds in early April. Also, season dates for the next four years (through 2024) will be based on this study and structure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Larry said:

You can't blame the state on the bag limits or number of days the Fed's set those and where the days can fall between (the frame work) you can blame the state for where the days are put

True you can’t Blame the state however we can blame ourselves. Every group of birds that come into a spread the first bird to come in is a hen %90 of the time.. So people shoot the first bird. Also the state doesn’t do squat for habitat for birds and the price of fur sucks so trapping has gone down so more predators and eating duck eggs ..

There is a lot more habitat work going than you think. Take a look at the Northern Montezuma Wetlands Complex, Jim Eckler is doing a bang up job out there for the state. There is a lot of work going on at the Braddock Bay WMA, Conesus lake WMA, Keeney Swamp WMA, there is even work going on at Oak Orchard-Tonawanda and many more.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, Larry said:

There is a lot more habitat work going than you think. Take a look at the Northern Montezuma Wetlands Complex, Jim Eckler is doing a bang up job out there for the state. There is a lot of work going on at the Braddock Bay WMA, Conesus lake WMA, Keeney Swamp WMA, there is even work going on at Oak Orchard-Tonawanda and many more.

I could be wrong but is at that all federal funds being used . We have so much state land that is geared towards hardwood management and ok I get that. Most prefer deer hunting, and nothing wrong with that but I wish they had more state waterfowl property to put money into. I’ve hunted and you know the amount of guys that only hunt those handful of places it’s hard to hunt. Work a group of birds then a shot goes off into the distance and there goes the birds you were working.. 

I use to hunt the Keeney swamp WMA for ducks but now the word has gotten out on it so now on opening day it's packed. I have a new secret spot on another WMA. When I hunted there it's walk in. I was checked by a ECO on the way out and he said I was the first guy in his 15 years working the area that he has checked duck hunting. I found the place by searching maps and info. and when I found it my son and I used his drone to see if it really had water. I use the drone because I have bad knees and didn't have to walk all that way in and find no water. There were a enough ducks to limit out and no one around. Just a FYI I use a 20ga on small water

• Like 1