Anyone familiar with the Kimber Hunter 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle?

goosifer

I am going to be purchasing one from a private party. It's brand new in the box. (He won it at a gun raffle.) I've been wanting to get a regular rifle for deer hunting. Any thought or recommendations, particularly on ammo, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by goosifer

I am going to be purchasing one from a private party. It's brand new in the box. (He won it at a gun raffle.) I've been wanting to get a regular rifle for deer hunting. Any thought or recommendations, particularly on ammo, would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Great buy. Hornady

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TACC said:

Great caliber, what are you paying for it, and is it coming with a scope?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

$500, no scope. Need to get one. Need to figure out what kind to get. I have Nikon BDC and Vortex scopes for other rifles.

Edited by goosifer

Great deal, jump on it.

I used to use Nikon on all my stuff and changed over to Vortex.

After 5 years had my first one not hold zero or track properly. From the day I sent it to the day I got it back was 9 days. Completely new scope. No questions asked, no RA needed, just sent it in. Can't ask for a better warranty.

$500, no scope. Need to get one. Need to figure out what kind to get. I have Nikon BDC and Vortex scopes for other rifles.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Get some good glass on top of that rig and you will have a tack driving deer killing machine.

I guess I just need a single dot type of scope given how flat it shoots. I try to spend as much on the scope as the rifle. Will Nikon or Vortex do?

I guess I just need a single dot type of scope given how flat it shoots. I try to spend as much on the scope as the rifle. Will Nikon or Vortex do?
I love the bdc and the ffp but vortex may be a better option if you don't plan on reaching out past 300. They are both fantastic companies and have great glass for the money. Without seeing ballistics I'll guess that that caliber zero'd at 100 is gonna drop +- 2-3" at 300? No need for bdc if you don't have that kind of country to hunt.

6 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I love the bdc and the ffp but vortex may be a better option if you don't plan on reaching out past 300. They are both fantastic companies and have great glass for the money. Without seeing ballistics I'll guess that that caliber zero'd at 100 is gonna drop +- 2-3" at 300? No need for bdc if you don't have that kind of country to hunt.

Actually, zeroed in at 200 yards, the drop is 7.9 inches at 300 yards. However, at 100 yards, it's +1.9. I doubt I can see clearly past 200 yards anyway, so a single dot should do. (Figures based on the Hornady 143 grain link

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

200yd zero will be 8” low at 300yds.  Your 223 is flatter at that distance but falls off dramatically after that.   Creedmore shines long range due to BC so it holds speed with less drop as you reach out there.   Or so I hear.  

Never mind.  I see Goosifer knows already. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

200yd zero will be 8” low at 300yds.  Your 223 is flatter at that distance but falls off dramatically after that.   Creedmore shines long range due to BC so it holds speed with less drop as you reach out there.   Or so I hear.  
Never mind.  I see Hoosier knows already. 
Don't forget, knowing your range is step 1...... Can't always listen to others

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Actually, zeroed in at 200 yards, the drop is 7.9 inches at 300 yards. However, at 100 yards, it's +1.9. I doubt I can see clearly past 200 yards anyway, so a single dot should do. (Figures based on the Hornady 143 grain link

If you plan to reach out there even if only for fun occasionally, the vortex Viper vhs series has a BDC reticle that is very easy to calculate aim points based on subtensiom.   In fact, I ran the eld x numbers on it and each point below the crosshairs was just about 100yds farther.  Very easy to remember.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Sst is almost an inch less. Either way, at 300, that's still keeping the crosshairs below the spine. Standard reticle in vortex or Nikon will do. FFP is worth it, imo

I got rid of my FFP scopes because the crosshairs are tiny and thin at low power.   Not real practical for low light shots under 100yds.   They are nice if you are zooming in for long shots.  

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Say what?

I'm assuming I would have to see the deer, with just my glasses on, before getting it in the scope. I guess if I'm out in Montana or something, that would be doable, but in NYS woods? Maybe if its a large soybean field or in the ADKs. But how often do NYS deer hunters take a shot longer than 250 yards?

If I did have a shot opportunity at a long range, I would just have to manually adjust my aim point. I always use a range finder as I am a poor judge of distances by eye. I write the ballistics on a tag that I attach to my scope for easy reference.

So would you suggest a scope with hashmarks like a BDC?

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If you plan to reach out there even if only for fun occasionally, the vortex Viper vhs series has a BDC reticle that is very easy to calculate aim points based on subtensiom.   In fact, I ran the eld x numbers on it and each point below the crosshairs was just about 100yds farther.  Very easy to remember.   

I will have to check that scope out, that sounds perfect. Does Vortex have a calculator like Nikon where you input your ammo, zero, et al and it give you ballistics at each hashmark and magnification? (How/where did you run the eld x numbers?

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I got rid of my FFP scopes because the crosshairs are tiny and thin at low power.   Not real practical for low light shots under 100yds.   They are nice if you are zooming in for long shots.  

Thats a matter of selecting a hunting scope for multiple conditions vs a "long range" scope good for punching paper in daylight.

I have been using FFP scopes way before the current long range fad; and thats why mine are fitted with German #4 reticles with heavy side bars, as I don't need dime accuracy at 100 yds in low light, and it helps the eye "bracket" the target.

I've even sent in a Leupold and Swarovski and with a nominal fee, they'll put in anything you like for crosshair style they offer.

Edited by Dinsdale

KISS.....Sight in 2.5 or 3 " high at 100.....Get a quality scope  in 2x7  or 3x9 power....Hunting in the woods, keep the scope at 4x or lower...Any deer you see at point blank to 300 yards, hold dead center lung shot  Dead deer...Doesn't get much simpler than that...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

KISS.....Sight in 2.5 or 3 " high at 100.....Get a quality scope  in 2x7  or 3x9 power....Hunting in the woods, keep the scope at 4x or lower...Any deer you see at point blank to 300 yards, hold dead center lung shot  Dead deer...Doesn't get much simpler than that...

You are assuming the target is deer sized with a larger vital size. Guns not limited to just deer hunting.

It'll drop at 300 yards, 1.5 mils or 5.13 moa, I was shooting 140 grain hornady hunter precision this past weekend and took it out to 980 yards on 18 x 18 inch steel. It was very fun shooting and it bucks the wind great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

You are assuming the target is deer sized with a larger vital size. Guns not limited to just deer hunting.

Yes, I was assuming that Goosey would be hunting deer.... In fact he stated that in his original post.

Edited by Pygmy