More on hydro fracking

my land is in cortland county- i've had it for less than three years.  i recently got a letter from a group called the 'county line landowners association'.  does anyone know anything about this group?

Sounds like a local county level activist group. What was the gist of their letter?

i have 2 simple rules in life, question anything big business and government tells you is good for you! 8)

Ronald Regan once said the scariest thing you ever want to hear is " Were from the Government and we are here to help you"

Dave

That diagram that they have in that article is kind of interesting, They show the gas bearing shale layer and the actual fracturing to be happening at 3000 -5000 feet down and the aquifer being only 500 to 1000 feet deep. Assuming all this is kind of accurate, there is no fracturing that should be happening at the aquifer level or any where's near it. So there may not actually be any danger from the fracking itself.

Of course there still is the dangers of surface toxic spills because of that lethal soup that they seem to need to pull off this process, but that is a lot more manageable than what I had envisioned as the whole underground being shattered.

Naturally all that involves the accuracy of that diagram, but I did read somewhere a pro-fracking proponent making that same argument that the fracking is no where near the aquifer.

It's a pretty complex issue, and there doesn't seem to be one side that has anymore credibility than the other. That sort of situation for me generally has me erring on the side of safety. So it behooves the pro-fracking people to sell their process in a lot more convincing way than they have so far. They need to get some credibility since history has often demonstrated that any time there is a huge financial benefit to any corporation, they need to be judged guilty until proven innocent.

Sounds like a local county level activist group. What was the gist of their letter?

Basically, they urge you not to enter into any agreement with a gas company.  Their attorneys are drafting a lease agreement that will protect landowners and they encourage landowners to join their organization.  This is all new to me.  I haven't been approached by any gas companies.

Well, now that you are a landowner, and the possibility of having to make choices that involve hydro-fracking is probably heading your way, it probably is a good time to be reading up on the pros and cons. You might want to contact these people and have them send you some of their material that supposedly backs up their suggestions that you join. That might be a good beginning source of info regarding their half of the issue. Most likely they will send info without requiring membership. There are some pretty heavy issues at work here that could impact family health and land values and the environment.

And the other side of the coin is the fact that we are sitting on a sizeable volume of relatively clean burning and U.S. owned fuel. Also, there is the possibility of some value potentially coming your way that has to be factored into any decisions you will have to make on this issue.  ................Have fun!

Basically, they urge you not to enter into any agreement with a gas company.  Their attorneys are drafting a lease agreement that will protect landowners and they encourage landowners to join their organization.  This is all new to me.  I haven't been approached by any gas companies.

Virgil, we have been contacted twice by landsmen from the gas companies and the price per acre varied they want you to sign a lease as cheap as they can get your land. So there a bunch of land owner associations in all the counties affected they are all "Pro Fracking" . They feel that if they pool all the land they can get a better price than if you negotiate by yourself. And would have better leverage dictating terms in the gas leases. My group has been involved with  Sullivan/Delaware landowners association since 2008 but they have been wrong as to when this will take affect.

Dave

We have a couple of gas wells in our area that I have seen, and when they have been in for a lot of years, the site is really quite small and simple. A few short standing pipes and small tank-looking things, and usually a small de-forested area. In fact I'm not sure the sights were forested when they bought it. Of course these are the old style traditionally drilled wells. I have no idea what today's version might look like. Perhaps with the increased volumes and higher productions, the sites might be bigger and more complex. I don't know.