Ladder; Hang-On; Climber... what do you like?

nybuckboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to move around a lot during the season so I use a climber. I've got the summit and it weighs in around 18lbs and comes with straps to carry it like a book bag. Not going to lie though I've been scared a few times on certain trees. Dropping 3 inches 20ft up sure wakes me up.

I like the ease and flexabilty of the climber. I too have a summit and feel tree slection is crucial. Not the tree location but the tree BARK type. I am not tree expert, but have become pretty comfortable picking out the tree that will hold and more importantly  the tree that won't. The three foot slide is never fun. That can be a bit frustrating though since you may have the pretty tree locale but wrong type of tree. I find another tree...Safety first right???

U can never go wrong with a lock on stand. They're light weight, mobile, and best of all they're easy to conceal. Ladder stands are way to obvious for me, just because deer get used to it doesn't mean they don't remember it's their, and a good buck is gonna keep tabs on things that don't belong such as that, not to say you can't kill hood deer from a ladder because that would be an idiotic comment, but it's my belief that a good buck keeps an eye out for this type of stand. As for climbers I do enjoy mine now and then, but between packin it in and getting up a tree, the whole scent control idea goes out the window!

Deer have no idea what stands are, just like they have no clue what farm equipment, box binds and all of the other non-natural things in their world are. They get used to the stands and until they are shot at from that stand, or spooked from it, dont associate it with danger. Deer also look up, and they see that hang on stand up there, and climbing sticks or screw in steps on the tree. They just have no idea what it is until you educate them that they need to fear it.

Deer have no idea what stands are, just like they have no clue what farm equipment, box binds and all of the other non-natural things in their world are. They get used to the stands and until they are shot at from that stand, or spooked from it, dont associate it with danger. Deer also look up, and they see that hang on stand up there, and climbing sticks or screw in steps on the tree. They just have no idea what it is until you educate them that they need to fear it.

Agreed. Not the stand type...it's the hunter and their tactics that blow up a spot.