Youth baseball thread

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since my son's baseball just kicked into high gear thru early Aug I thought I'd start a thread for him and anyone else's kids or grand kids playing ball this yr. Since I have no friends besides you gu

Champs! 7-4 Huge team victory, every kid made a play. My son caught 2 fly balls in center field, 2 rbi's, and he scored once. Baseball is over happy and sad, great group of kids and coachs to work wit

Geared up and ready....the journey begins Tuesday. This kid loves the game. Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

Like everything else ...it depends.
-what does your kid want/need? Does he need a year of being “the Bug Dawg” or another year of “playing up” to scrap for a spot”. Playing school ball with his friends, Reps in the field, time on the mound in big games, and at bats matter the most to keeping my kid motivated and improving through middle school.
-What’s the school program like-strong and competitive? Political? Policies of playing older kids over more talented?
- How’s the modified program? Take everyone or cuts? Solid coaching or the district teacher who doesn’t really care?

Talk to the varsity coach and get a sense of his thoughts of the future of the program and where your kids fits in that mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked with his travel coach and said most of the kids on his team could make jv, might not get a ton of reps but gains more experience. Im not worried about reps as he’ll be playing alot of ball with his other teams. Im gonna have my PR rep (my wife) call the JV coach and see if they will even look at a 7th grader. Will see what happens!

I talked with his travel coach and said most of the kids on his team could make jv, might not get a ton of reps but gains more experience. Im not worried about reps as he’ll be playing alot of ball with his other teams. Im gonna have my PR rep (my wife) call the JV coach and see if they will even look at a 7th grader. Will see what happens!

I would speak with the school coach...travel coaches have their program (and bank account) in mind over your kid.

57 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I would speak with the school coach...travel coaches have their program (and bank account) in mind over your kid.

I hear that a lot but we must have found the right one, coach calls it as he sees it (isnt pd or the owner) and the overall program cost is a little over a grand. 

So school baseball is back and I heard tryouts are going to be coming soon. My son is 12, 13 the end of May and in 7th grade. Obviously modified is the 1st option 7-8 graders. Option 2 is JV. Am I nuts to have him try out for Jv? He is 2nd youngest on his 13u team and did really well in the jump to the bigger fields and stat wise did really well. He’s about 5”10 and 120 of muscle. [mention=14]NYBowhunter[/mention] [mention=327]crappyice[/mention] you too might have some good advice for me.

Don’t take this the wrong way.... your kid is not going to be a professional baseball player. Have him play modified. He will get more reps, have more fun, and be the Big man and enjoy being a stud.

Let’s not forget as much as you would enjoy him playing JV this is for HIM.

In my high school we didn’t have JV for football just varsity and modified. I was asked to play varsity in 9th grade and even practiced with them for the summer. In the end I decided to play the season on modified and I’m glad I did. It was the most fun I had in all my years playing football. I ate those smaller 7th and 8th graders for lunch

• Like 1

Don’t take this the wrong way.... your kid is not going to be a professional baseball player. Have him play modified. He will get more reps, have more fun, and be the Big man and enjoy being a stud.

Let’s not forget as much as you would enjoy him playing JV this is for HIM.

In my high school we didn’t have JV for football just varsity and modified. I was asked to play varsity in 9th grade and even practiced with them for the summer. In the end I decided to play the season on modified and I’m glad I did. It was the most fun I had in all my years playing football. I ate those smaller 7th and 8th graders for lunch

What about breakfast and/or dinner? Did you eat box or other kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro