Youth baseball thread

Zag

23 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am my boys Pee Wee coach....5-7 year Olds. Its a freaking blast. The weather was awesome last night and the kids love it. Just somethimg fun about playing baseball with a group of friends.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

i coach t-ball and help with the 8-10 year olds. the 6 year old had a game last night (coach pitch) and they finally mowed the grass but there were clumps everywhere so nobody can get it out of the infield lol.

• Like 1

i coach t-ball and help with the 8-10 year olds. the 6 year old had a game last night (coach pitch) and they finally mowed the grass but there were clumps everywhere so nobody can get it out of the infield lol.
We are in the same boat. Our tee ball and coach pitch fields are all grass and in the low area of the park.......the grass clumps are so thick the kids trip over them. Infield practice is a real doozey too! Lol

14 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

We are in the same boat. Our tee ball and coach pitch fields are all grass and in the low area of the park.......the grass clumps are so thick the kids trip over them. Infield practice is a real doozey too! Lol

yeah one of our school fields isn't mowed either and you can see where the guy got the tractor stuck and then gave up. There were a few times the kids actually lost the ball in the high grass. it's funny but it sucks because any position other than pitcher gets no action and keeping 6 year old's engaged is hard enough.

I’m having a tough time with my son this year. I’m his travel coach now because the coach dropped and of course I had to step up. I’m in no way the guy that plays his kid over someone more deserving. In practice and bp before games he’s spraying the ball all over the field. Game time he clams up at the plate refuses to swing and claims he’s too scared of the ball I’ve tried everything. This is why I didn’t want him to play travel because he isn’t and I hate to say it good enough. Now I’m in the position of oh look he’s only on the team because of his dad. I’m lost boys give me some advice!

Just now, Cory said:

I’m having a tough time with my son this year. I’m his travel coach now because the coach dropped and of course I had to step up. I’m in no way the guy that plays his kid over someone more deserving. In practice and bp before games he’s spraying the ball all over the field. Game time he clams up at the plate refuses to swing and claims he’s too scared of the ball I’ve tried everything. This is why I didn’t want him to play travel because he isn’t and I hate to say it good enough. Now I’m in the position of oh look he’s only on the team because of his dad. I’m lost boys give me some advice!

Not that big of a deal. I played on plenty of teams where the coaches son is on the team. Play your kid deservingly  and if anyone has a problem tell them to step up and coach.  I’m not saying bat him clean up and start them at shortstop every game but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cory said:

Looking at it from the other parents point of view. Play your son where he deserves to be played on the field and in the line up and if any other parent has a problem tell them to step up and coach next year. You would be surprised how quick people will stay quiet when you tell them to step up and volunteer/coach or whatever the situation calls for. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Agree with both above posts. Kudos for stepping up to the plate and saving this team.
Now for deserved playing time....that can get tough. Before I pass along a little advice.....what's your son's age group?

9u. I have a pretty good group of young boys all coming into their own. I don’t play my son at short or have him pitch he’s right field and 2nd base batting in the bottom 2 spots I flip him and another boy . 

More importantly, how we getting Little Cory back in the groove. It sounds like you have done right by this team already by stepping up when no one else did. It also sounds like you are rational and not putting your kid in a position where he cannot be successful (or as successful as others perceive he should be) and that’s right both for your team and the more importantly your kid.
The transition from coach-pitch to kid-pitch is a big jump for hitters because the likelihood of him getting plunked is greater and the fear creeps in. Helping him to realize that it doesn’t hurt as much as he thinks it will was a big step. Teaching him how to “take” a ball (turn away, bring the bat down) and feeling a few balls actually hit him may help. I am not suggesting to ear-hole the kid. But during BP/soft toss, I used to plunk my boys every once and a while-don’t call CPS YET! They were underhand, to the butt or legs.
I also had a kid who lived to “step out” on his load. We did this....toes on the inside of the batters box, 4’ long 2x4 behind his heels - every time he stepped on it he knew he was stepping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cory said:

9u. I have a pretty good group of young boys all coming into their own. I don’t play my son at short or have him pitch he’s right field and 2nd base batting in the bottom 2 spots I flip him and another boy . 

At that age ensure everyone gets play time, have fun during games. To be honest practice at that age is more key then the game itself. 

6 hours ago, Cory said:

What age??

Our pitcher had 14ks in 5 innings, shes kind of a big deal. She had 18 in the first game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Make sure the catcher knows to let a few third strikes go to the fence. Those 4K innings help

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Make sure the catcher knows to let a few third strikes go to the fence. Those 4K innings help

Well if you do that you need to make sure that the catcher makes the throw to first base.

We had a good team effort today once the excitement of bills coach Sean McDermott being in the park to watch his son wore off! My kid actually got a hit today with an rbi. I got him not to be afraid of the ball last night by hitting him with a couple balls last night in the yard. Yeah not conventional but hey it worked. We lost 8-5 but from a coaching standpoint it’s all starting to come together. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a perfect perfect game tonight, 21 up 21 down 21 Ks! Clarence 12 Frontier 0. Pretty cool to watch! Our pitcher has faced 54 batters and struckout 51. One hit allowed, zero walks in three starts. Prettay..prettay....pretty good

• Like 3

On 5/16/2021 at 9:03 AM, mlammerhirt said:

This has to stink for these families and kids.
I am guessing this was the tournament talked about earlier in this thread.

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/little-league-teams-cancel-tournament-trip-due-to-covid-vaccine-requirement/10634784/

Yeah, f Cooperstown, our team canceled and we’re spending our hard earned money in Delaware instead of C town!!

Seasons going well so far! I think he’s 6 games in so far, 2 rec league games, 1 13u, 2 12u games and 3 mod games. He has a perfect on base % for mod so far and im not sure the last time he struck out, its been a long time. Mod games tomorrow, Thursday and Sat plus he’s playing with the 12u team in a tournament in Buffalo so its gonna be a wild weekend with some back and forth travel and we cant wait!

• Like 1

I think so, rehoboth beach!

Yup...GREAT facility for the whole family if you have more kids...pool, fishing pond, archery range, large trampoline park, courts for all sports. We (3 coaches) stayed in the barracks on two separate occasions with the entire team. Went to Rehoboth beach with the entire team for dinner and some beach time during an “off day”....good spot.
Helped that we won the tourney each time we were there!!!

• Like 1