West Point area

Tonyjoe

I am in the military and will be moving to the West Point area in late September.  I am still reading over the regulation, but does anybody have any information on good hunting in that area?  I am a rifle hunter, but am thinking about branching out into the bow arena when I get there.  I am looking for large game and would really like to get another large bear to rug out to put on the wall next to my Alaska bear.  Any information or where to look for info is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Anthony

• Like 1

I am in the military and will be moving to the West Point area in late September.  I am still reading over the regulation, but does anybody have any information on good hunting in that area?  I am a rifle hunter, but am thinking about branching out into the bow arena when I get there.  I am looking for large game and would really like to get another large bear to rug out to put on the wall next to my Alaska bear.  Any information or where to look for info is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Anthony

Yeah, West Point itself.  During any other season, only West Point cadets is allowed to hunt in the military training grounds but during deer season they open it up to all active military personnel and their guest.  Due to this restriction, there aren't as many hunters there as other public lands.  I am not sure if it is open during all deer season or only regular gun season because I only do not bow hunt, I've only gone there during the regular gun season.

http://www.westpointmwr.com/ACTIVITY/OUTDOOR/hunting.htm

I would look at sterling forest  you will have to get a permit at the main office last time I hunted there they used to have a lottery for opening day rifle the first couple of days then everyone else can hunt after that not sure if its the same now great action for deer ,bear and turkey your only fear is other hunters..and just a note you can not hunt anywhere in harriman park across from west point them troopers dont play.....

TonyJoe,  will you be living on base  or off base? If your on base call the master at arms, and see what the base rule is about rifles for on base . I know that you could keep a bow on base. The hunting up there is killer. Definitely get in touch with Anderson. Either way good luck in the move. thanks for serving.

Thanks for the information.  I will be living on post and have heard great things about the hunting a fishing in the area. 

@ Andersondnb:  I will shoot you a message when I get on post and settled in.  I have been stuck in on Fort Huachuca, AZ for the last 2 years and only made it out for Javelina a couple of times.  Prior to this I was in Alaska and it was an every weekend  occurrence to have the ATV out playing with the kids or hunting/fishing.  Can't wait to get back somewhere where there is something other than cactus and rocks to hunt in.

You might want to check out Sterling Forest, it's over by Tuxedo not to far away. It's a state park, but you need an access pass for $5.00 to hunt. Look them up or give them a call, they'll send you an application. You'll find deer and a fair amount of black bear there.

• 2 months later...

I am in the military and will be moving to the West Point area in late September. I am still reading over the regulation, but does anybody have any information on good hunting in that area? I am a rifle hunter, but am thinking about branching out into the bow arena when I get there. I am looking for large game and would really like to get another large bear to rug out to put on the wall next to my Alaska bear. Any information or where to look for info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Hey .... Dont forget to look into hunting at Camp Smith just across the river ...its bow only and you have to register with Base Ops but currently only 2 (as far as I know) individuals hunt there ! And yes I've seen quite a Deer population there and they think they own the place ! Base Ops will give you a map of the hunting areas and you have to attend a short training/lecture class too hunt there but its well worth the trip !

I am in the military and will be moving to the West Point area in late September. I am still reading over the regulation, but does anybody have any information on good hunting in that area? I am a rifle hunter, but am thinking about branching out into the bow arena when I get there. I am looking for large game and would really like to get another large bear to rug out to put on the wall next to my Alaska bear. Any information or where to look for info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Hey Anthony .... Dont forget that in New York Military members get a free Sportsmans (small game , big game , fishing) license .... the affidavit in downloadable from the DEC website ! You serve you deserve !