1000 guns confiscated from home in CA

Media sensationalism used for fear mongering.  Think they will print the retractions when no charges are filed or the guy, who's an FFL is found not guilty of any of California's tyrannical gun laws?

Chuck Michel, a well-known gun rights attorney, said that having 1,000 guns isn’t that unusual for a federal firearms dealer. He said dealers often keep their own private collections and then separately keep an inventory of weapons in stock for the business.

As a federally licensed weapons dealer, a person can sell guns elsewhere that are not compliant with California’s assault rifle laws. The state, however, requires dealers to have a dangerous-weapons permit, Michel said.

Sometimes, he said, dealers can overlook the correct paperwork and run afoul of the law, noting that sensational search warrants with piles of guns often end up without charges.

• Like 3

I don't know of any law that would make it illegal for someone to own 1000 guns even if they weren't a federal firearms dealer.  I'm sure there are people out there that may have that many or more.  If a person has done nothing illegal with these guns, what's the problem with owning them?  Some people have lots of money, like to collect things, so 1000 guns would not be an insane amount to accumulate.

• Like 3

The mere ownership of a lot of weapons makes an individual a target for harassment by authorities these days.  Their totalitarian thought process assumes if you own that many firearms, you must have broken one of their multitude of idiotic gun laws somewhere along the line. 

They charge the person with something based on hearsay evidence and force the person to defend themselves against their attacks in court.  Then they make a media circus out of the case to make the public think they have done a great service for the public.  The worst part is, when the arrestee is found completely innocent of all charges, no retraction is ever printed, no apology made and no financial recourse for damages is available for that person to be made whole.

Some of these cases of harassment go much further than that.  The Branch Davidians in Waco, TX would attest to that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Some of these cases of harassment go much further than that.  The Branch Davidians in Waco, TX would attest to that.

Honestly, we shouldn't be comparing this case with Waco.  David Koresh was a nut job who thought he was the second coming of Christ, so in my opinion he created his own problems with the government and many others.  And unfortunately his stupidity led to the deaths of many people.

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

Honestly, we shouldn't be comparing this case with Waco.  David Koresh was a nut job who thought he was the second coming of Christ, so in my opinion he created his own problems with the government and many others.  And unfortunately his stupidity led to the deaths of many people.

I don't disagree he was a nut, but the premise the govt used to go after him was an ATF violation, as well as hearsay accusations of other things like child abuse.  No evidence was ever presented to prove those charges.  The govt was mainly afraid of the weapons he had at that compound and that's why they went after him.  It was the ATF that first entered the compound and was shocked to find they were getting shot.

there is a story going around, and i've done zero research to follow-up on it, that these were part of an illegal operation. And if so, we as law abiding gun owners should be glad they're not going to end up on the streets. If not, I agree that there's nothing wrong with owning that many guns, even if it causes one to raise an eyebrow.

• Like 2

A friend of mine died about 40 years ago with well over 2000 guns in his house. Many were brand new in the box with the original grease paper. It was his hobby. He had one of the most extensive collections of pre-'64 Winchesters in the country. It wasn't even an issue then because people weren't nearly as stupid and knee-jerk about such things back then. The only thing Paul actually shot was old military stuff, mainly Japanese arms. 

• Like 1

I would never criticize anyone for owning a lot of firearms, but one day I realized what I need a lot of is ammo.  You can only carry so many firearms.

When they raid my home, the media will be saying, "Man had 10 firearms and 100,000 rounds of ammo!"  LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

I would never criticize anyone for owning a lot of firearms, but one day I realized what I need a lot of is ammo.  You can only carry so many firearms.

When they raid my home, the media will be saying, "Man had 10 firearms and 100,000 rounds of ammo!"  LOL!

And I'll be criticized for having reloading equipment. "Oh my god, he was actually able to make his own ammo?"

A friend in Iowa had to leave the property he thought he had purchased after twenty years on a rent-to-own agreement. The old guy died and his son told my friend to get off the property. Nothing fair about it. My buddy made three trips with his full-size pickup just to get the ammo out of his house.:rofl:

• Like 1