Rangefinder advice

crappyice

I am looking to  purchase a rangefinder for bow hunting. I have $200 squirrled away from the Mrs. and am looking for the best model for that price. Two conerns...ability to make a reading in low-light conditions and a finder that will calculate the angle from a tree stand. Where are most people making their hunting purchases at thre best prices? Amazon? Cabelas? Gander?

I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport that I picked up used for $125. I doesn't have the angle compensation feature but it works pretty well.

A friend of mine picked up an Archers choice new off of eBay and got like a $50 rebate. He is very happy with the rangefinder and the price.

I bought the Leupold RX-750, but I paid around $300 for it.  Being from Montana, I do still hunt in some rugged terrain, and often do not have trees to reference.  I would totally suggest getting one that does have some angle compensation.  Like anything else, you get what you pay for and I would totally suggest you spend a few bucks one something like this.  I wish I got one that had red lit readouts.  They weren't around when I bought mine.  The red will contrast much better than plain black. 

I would save my money and not worry about the angle compensator. You will almost never have a chance to range a deer while its within shooting range anyhow. I have one without it and use it to range trees so that I know the distance to them, and can figure out the deer's range quickly.

Just my 2 cents

Purchased the Leupold Vendetta (bow mounted) range finder in the spring. Alot easier to use when holding a bow at full draw. Well see how how well it works in the treestand this coming bow season.

Better ask the DEC if its legal to use in NY. It is not legal to have any laser sight or range finder mounted to a bow in many states.

From DEC regs...

Manner of Taking 

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

• A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
  • An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one  which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot),  except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
  • A firearm using rimfire ammunition.
  • A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
  • A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.
  • Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.
  • Dogs.
  • Aircraft of any kind.
  • Bait.

...like I said, better ask DEC and get the answer in writing, and carry that paper with you.

i have a leupold rx II , love the angle compensation as i hunt on about A 40% SLOPE rangeing  the trees around works if they are growing strait..., don't buy one thats good for extreem ranges if you plan in usuing it for bow. mine is good to 250 yards but the ones that range farther cost more and do you really need to know a deer is 500yrds away with a bow in your hand? i also like the 2x maginificatiion as i can use it in place of a binocular while looking for a hidden piece of a deer.

I did read the regs before I bought it and i agree with Doewhacker, i believe the regs apply to an actual laser site that emits a laser beam. Also The regs do not say anything about being illegal to have a rangefinder mounted on your bow. But I will make sure its OK to use with DEC. Thanks

I did read the regs before I bought it and i agree with Doewhacker, i believe the regs apply to an actual laser site that emits a laser beam. Also The regs do not say anything about being illegal to have a rangefinder mounted on your bow. But I will make sure its OK to use with DEC. Thanks

No problem, always better to ask than to fight the ticket in court.

Another thing to consider and what I do... about 6 weeks before season opens, I use my range finder and I walk around my stand marking trees with orange marker tape that are 25 yds from the tree, that my stand is in. That way once the big boy is in your zone you already know your shot distance.

Not a bad idea NYBuckboy but that wouldn't work for me since my stands are in trees facing open corn fields. I guess I could go out into the corn field and put up some markers on the corn stalks in front of my stand or put stakes in the ground with orange tape on the tips.  I may just give that a try . . .

I've got the exact opposite delema. I know what I want just need to squirrel away some money. I've been looking at the bushnell scout 1000arc. Lots of good reviews and some really cool features. That you may want need or just like to say you have.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Interesting debate about bow mounted rangefinder. I wonder if the "authorities" would be competent enough to know the difference between a range finder and a laser scope...tough one.

I'm leaning toards the Nikon prostaff. Seems tough to find the 440 but the extra magnification over the 550 is more important to me than the extra range the 550 offers. The Remington looks interesting. I wish I could find  more reviews on it. I'll post some follow up when a final decision is made...and I'm still open to suggestions.

I just got an idea from Neverguessrangefinder.com. Its a forearm/wrist mounted rangefinder that is triggered with the push of a button strapped to your finger while pressing against the bow grip. I have some camera mounts and tripods lying around. I may give it a try to make one myself.

For those states like NY where hunting with a bow mounted range finder may be illegal, I came up with an idea. I found an old iPod armband lying around and cut it a bit to fit the Leupold vendetta. I slipped the vendetta into the pouch and strapped it to my forearm. I ran the wire around the strap and attached a loop made out of Velcro around the trigger and attached it to my middle finger. I attached a fiber optic shotgun site on top of the vendetta to help with aiming. Whe holding my bow at full draw I can depress the button against the bow grip while looking down the site toward my target. Very little movement involved.  It's not perfect but it serves my purpose. I'll post some pictures when I can.