Early season strategies?

nybuckboy

Do you typically hunt food sources only?  Morning, night or both? OR do you tend to hunt your old reliable spots? I contemplating my old reliable spot which gives me a good view as and look to see what may be out an around first thing in the am and then food late sources afternoon. 

Do you typically hunt food sources only?  Morning, night or both? OR do you tend to hunt your old reliable spots? I contemplating my old reliable spot which gives me a good view as and look to see what may be out an around first thing in the am and then food late sources afternoon. 
I just hunt wherever seems like a good idea. 99.9% I'm wrong so I'm better off rolling a die

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I just hunt wherever seems like a good idea. 99.9% I'm wrong so I'm better off rolling a die

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tonight I am in a transition area... I've studied this place for 2 years... Hoping they move soon.  Crops on both sides.,. I'm freezing with less than an hour or so to go 

41 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

I just lie and wait between bedroom and dining room.

2 hours ago, Merlot said:

I just lie and wait between bedroom and dining room.

For who,your wife?

I think the op plan sounds good. Not sure what your area is like,but here in 4F the deer have everything they could want. Apples,acorns,beechnuts and the grass is nice and green too. They are hard to pattern,but i caught six of them in a hayfield tonight.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:26 PM, BowmanMike said:

For who,your wife?

I think the op plan sounds good. Not sure what your area is like,but here in 4F the deer have everything they could want. Apples,acorns,beechnuts and the grass is nice and green too. They are hard to pattern,but i caught six of them in a hayfield tonight.

Deer are hard to pattern where I am in 9H. Given the hardwoods situation we have, with little browse, the deer do not hang around much. We have logged off some timber, but not enough to open up areas for undergrowth/browse for wildlife to thrive.

For me it’s hard not to hunt food sources , my woods is surrounded by hundreds of acres of crops, it’s like being in the greeting card isle of Wegmans, every other isle is food . 

I used to really like mornings, but this year I may hunt more afternoons, but that’s largely due to the fact getting up that early I just don’t care for anymore ,and I’d never bow hunt an afternoon if I didn’t have next day off , now I have them all off .

One good thing about afternoons is there’s an end point, mornings when I leave Ive often  felt, I should have stayed longer, and if I do it’s often a waste of time .

For me bottom line is for me my stands and time of day stays the same  , other then during the rut I hunt as much as possible. Keep in mind I’ve bow and gun hunted this spot for over 30 years , there’s probably not a tree on the land one couldn’t kill a deer out of with a gun anyways .

• Like 1

Deer need only three things. Security/bedding cover, food, and water. They will move with the preferred source of each one, for any given period of time. The key to all that, is to figure what source they are keying on at the time you are hunting them. Easier said than done sometimes. When you hit it right, you'll see plenty of deer. As apposed to just hoping one ambles by. Find the deer sign, and piece together the puzzle. Nothing beats boots on the ground for finding the sign.

When the rut heats up later in the season. That is much different than the early and late, food, bedding tactics.

• Like 1