Lifetime License Origin?

Lawdwaz

• 2 weeks later...

For a lot of years, hunting licenses were so darn reasonable that hardly anybody ever worried about the cost and the lifetime licenses seemed so expensive. That's probably why everyone is having such a difficult time remembering when they were first available. It's a little different story now.

What I have never heard stated by anyone is just where all that windfall of money is kept (invested), or if it is invested at all. If the DEC is typical of all state agencies, chances are pretty good that it gets spent as it comes in the door. If that's the case, you have to wonder with the massive numbers of hunters purchasing lifetime licenses recently, who is going to be paying DEC bills in the future? By the way, some of those bills relate to the mass mailings of licenses, copies of the game laws booklets (hunting and fishing for sportsmen's lifetime licenses) and other literature that we recieve free every year for the rest of our lives. Let's hope they are putting that money in some pretty darn good investment.

Doc

I was under the impression that some of the money went to support hiking and biking trails . Is there anything to that ?

I wouldn't be surprised. If so, the lifetime license money is blown. So what are they going to do the following years? If they haven't been putting that money into some interest bearing trust fund, they have some real serious problems ahead because there was a masssive amount of hunters who went that route last year, and never again will be contributing any income for DEC funding. And yet those hunters will be absorbing some heavy annual publishing and mailing costs on the part of the DEC. Do I sense another license fee hike coming?  :;)

Doc

For a lot of years, hunting licenses were so darn reasonable that hardly anybody ever worried about the cost and the lifetime licenses seemed so expensive. That's probably why everyone is having such a difficult time remembering when they were first available. It's a little different story now.

What I have never heard stated by anyone is just where all that windfall of money is kept (invested), or if it is invested at all. If the DEC is typical of all state agencies, chances are pretty good that it gets spent as it comes in the door. If that's the case, you have to wonder with the massive numbers of hunters purchasing lifetime licenses recently, who is going to be paying DEC bills in the future? By the way, some of those bills relate to the mass mailings of licenses, copies of the game laws booklets (hunting and fishing for sportsmen's lifetime licenses) and other literature that we recieve free every year for the rest of our lives. Let's hope they are putting that money in some pretty darn good investment.

Doc

Doc, the money has already been spent!