Butchering a deer

The Engineer

I honestly believe that bacterial growth is much like a fire. It requires different "components" to be present to allow for growth that is abnormal. (Let's face it, like many have said here, we are not doing surgery and we can not maintain a sterile environment). What's a fire need. heat, fuel and Oxygen. Bacteria need to be present, temps, moisture, Ph (the previous ones and other minor ones provide a good growth environment) and a food source. We can't control their presence and their food source is our food source. That leaves two variables. temps and moisture (environment) and those are the only things we can control, or try to. I am sure everyone on here has tried jerky. How is  jerky preserved? Salt and lack of moisture.  Washing a cavity out is not going to cause an explosion of bacterial growth on it's own in  the short term. Rinse it, make sure there is no standing water and, like we always should do,  make sure the cavity is propped open to allow good air flow for cooling and drying. I will not hang a deer if temps are above 45. When the temps are up it is rinsed, hung and is getting cut up. That is my way of taking out the other required aspect that is in my control, temperature. cut it and get it frozen.  If you want to age it and temps are up, cut it up and vacuum seal it and let it sit in the fridge prior to freezing. 

• Like 4

I found a good way to butcher deer. My own way that works for me. Most others would not do it, nor most likely  like my way. In the end, the venison is bone, silver skin, and fat free. It sure tastes good !  The sausage and jerky are frozen and done when muzzleloader season is over, Gives me a whole lot of more time to be in the field doing more deer hunting.

I get the part about trying to be as clean as possible with the meat.  It can only add to the quality of the meat,  but I also go back in years far enough to know that guys used splash a couple of buckets of water into the chest cavity without ever drying it, then either hung the animal for a couple of days or strapped it to their vehicles where it picked up all sorts of debris on the Thruway, yet I can't recall hearing about any of them getting sick or dying after they consumed the meat.  Not like store bought meat or the prepared meat you might get served in a restaurant went thru spic & span cleanliness procedures on the way to your gut.  If you follow common sense handling one should be fine. 

It’s not going to get you sick every time or even one in 10, but if it’s 1/100 do you want to take the risk why not just do it right. How hard is it to really dry after you rinse.

You wash and dry your hands after you take a shit don’t you? Why ? Because someone told you it prevents the spread of germs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

there are volumes and volumes of ways to do this and everybody has their own favorite way. You'll learn tips and tricks with every deer and become proficient over time.

I'll highlight a few of my favorite tips.

bone the deer out while it's hanging (see video below)

to separate the neck and to cut off the front legs use a good CLEAN pair of branch loppers. So much easier and quicker than a bone saw. Dedicate the loppers to this purpose.

If you're without a lot of help, buy some big tupperwear that you can use to refrigerate your grind pile overnight. By the time you get the deer skinned and the steaks and loins cut and wrapped you'll be tired. Do your grind the next day and it wont seem like such a chore. Double grind and make sure your grinder pieces are in the freezer and cold before you start.

I'm going to link to some products I've bought over the years that I use and have had a lot of success with.

these lugs fit under your grinder and can be used to easily separate your grind trim and your steaks so dual purpose and less mess and cleaning buy 2 plus lids

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/economy-meat-lug/meat-lugs

these 30x18 cutting boards are huge and that's super helpful when you cut off a leg and want to toss it on the table for someone to start boning out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C81T4R8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 years and going strong. takes all the crap you throw at it like a champ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KJBR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I upgraded from a cheaper model 2 years ago to this bag sealer. Dont cheap out, buy one with the bag cutter and you'll thank me later

https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/counter-top-vacuum-sealers/v5000-series/the-foodsaver-fm5460-2-in-1-food-preservation-system/FM5460-DTC.html#start=2

great little kit for the cost that adds some dedicated tools to the butchering and skinning process

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Outdoor-Edge-reg-Game-Processor/747253.uts

also if it's possible get a cheap harbor freight hoist installed in your processing spot. they're a bit of work to install safely, but real handy and nice to have. bonus for being able to clean the mower deck without taking it off.

And here is the video that i think does a great job explaining the cuts of meat for a beginner. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

It’s not going to get you sick every time or even one in 10, but if it’s 1/100 do you want to take the risk why not just do it right. How hard is it to really dry after you rinse.

You wash and dry your hands after you take a shit don’t you? Why ? Because someone told you it prevents the spread of germs

I never said it wasn't a good idea to keep everything as clean as possible.   I surely do when I process my deer.  I bet the odds are the same if not worse when you eat at a restaurant for potentially getting sick.  I'd actually be more willing to take my chances with the deer I shot in the wild in comparison to the food handlers in restaurants and such.   I don't think I'll be picking up e-coli or hepatitis from the deer as easily as I might in a restaurant.

10 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I never said it wasn't a good idea to keep everything as clean as possible.   I surely do when I process my deer.  I bet the odds are the same if not worse when you eat at a restaurant for potentially getting sick.  I'd actually be more willing to take my chances with the deer I shot in the wild in comparison to the food handlers in restaurants and such.   I don't think I'll be picking up e-coli or hepatitis from the deer as easily as I might in a restaurant.

Steve, not to speak for @Chef, but I think you are missing the point. The issue being addressed is not about keeping everything as clean as possible. The issue is, simply, if you are going to rinse out the carcass, dry it out afterwards.

Steve, not to speak for [mention=762]Chef[/mention], but I think you are missing the point. The issue being addressed is not about keeping everything as clean as possible. The issue is, simply, if you are going to rinse out the carcass, dry it out afterwards.

Correct

15 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Steve, not to speak for @Chef, but I think you are missing the point. The issue being addressed is not about keeping everything as clean as possible. The issue is, simply, if you are going to rinse out the carcass, dry it out afterwards.

Fine, everyone will do it their own way.  From my experience those that have rinsed out the inside and not wiped it completely dry as you guys suggest suffered no ill effects.  The water would have obviously dried out on it's own, but I don't remember too many going thru the trouble of drying it down with paper towels and such.

Let's get to the other issue of where you'd have better odds of getting sick.  Do you think the odds are greater getting sick eating restaurant food or eating that deer that may not have been wiped down?   I know where I'd put my money.

Fine, everyone will do it their own way.  From my experience those that have rinsed out the inside and not wiped it completely dry as you guys suggest suffered no ill effects.  The water would have obviously dried out on it's own, but I don't remember too many going thru the trouble of drying it down with paper towels and such.
Let's get to the other issue of where you'd have better odds of getting sick.  Do you think the odds are greater getting sick eating restaurant food or eating that deer that may not have been wiped down?   I know where I'd put my money.

Well let’s say someone ate 100 meals and 100 meals of unproperly cared for game the answer is the not properly cared for game all day long

On 10/31/2019 at 9:27 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I honestly believe that bacterial growth is much like a fire. It requires different "components" to be present to allow for growth that is abnormal. (Let's face it, like many have said here, we are not doing surgery and we can not maintain a sterile environment). What's a fire need. heat, fuel and Oxygen. Bacteria need to be present, temps, moisture, Ph (the previous ones and other minor ones provide a good growth environment) and a food source. We can't control their presence and their food source is our food source. That leaves two variables. temps and moisture (environment) and those are the only things we can control, or try to. I am sure everyone on here has tried jerky. How is  jerky preserved? Salt and lack of moisture.  Washing a cavity out is not going to cause an explosion of bacterial growth on it's own in  the short term. Rinse it, make sure there is no standing water and, like we always should do,  make sure the cavity is propped open to allow good air flow for cooling and drying. I will not hang a deer if temps are above 45. When the temps are up it is rinsed, hung and is getting cut up. That is my way of taking out the other required aspect that is in my control, temperature. cut it and get it frozen.  If you want to age it and temps are up, cut it up and vacuum seal it and let it sit in the fridge prior to freezing. 

spot on. No matter what, a good solid freeze is going to kill most bacteria. Additionally 160* is a magic kill everything cooking temp, but most of us probably like our venison a little rare. Practice good food handling and you should never have a food born illness.

a very good listen for all of us wild game chefs

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-191-sicker-than-hell

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:16 AM, steve863 said:

If you are doing 10 plus deer a year a grinder like that probably wouldn't hold up, but for those who do 2 to 3 deer a year, it will absolutely get the job done and you don't need to spend hundreds on a better machine.  I have one of these inexpensive ones from Cabelas going on 7 or 8 years now without a hiccup.  Plus, how many of us grind up the whole deer?  So for the amount of meat one grinds from 2 or 3 deer a lower end grinder will definitely be more than enough.

Even 2 or 3 deer a year deserve a decent grinder. The one I linked to was about $175. Pays for itself in just 2 or 3 deer. The average butcher will run you about $80 without specialties. After you buy a good grinder and vac sealer, you're only investing in bags and possibly pork from then on out. To spend even $250 on a grinder still isn't a bad idea. It's a daunting to buy all the equipment up front, but the ROI is substantial and we shouldn't scoff at a the price of some of the equipment. Now when you start getting into sausage and jerky, yeah things get real expensive. But those are luxuries in the wild game world. Not necessities. 

Point being, the most costly equipment will last longer and also does a faster more efficient job and it's worth it to pay up front in my opinion.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:36 AM, dbHunterNY said:

nothing girly about it. it saves time scrubbing that stuff out of finger nails and cuticles. i'll go a step further and say ever since becoming a dad i also carry none scented wipes. pull off glove inside out so hold dirty gutting knife and then use wipes to get my forearms. i'm clean and could be in a public place without looking like a mass murderer. lol it just makes sense. all bets are off if a glove gets torn though.

heck I never gut a deer without the shoulder length gloves too. Just makes my cleanup that much easier. Never been a fan of blood on my steering wheel and all over my gear. It's an easy way to prevent that and then i'm just rinsing out the tailgate (thanks delta sonic). 

you can get a 6 pack for $6 at walmart and they double as a nice bag for heart and liver tucked inside the cavity.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/20-pk-of-gutting-gloves?a=1502173

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 6:24 PM, Daveboone said:

The water certainly isn't going to introduce any bacteria that wasn't already there and will help minimize it. 

actually water will absolutely introduce bacteria. gyardia, crypotspiridium, numerous parasites etc. Tap water should be fine, but be careful with a statement like that.

and because we're throwing around credentials, i have a degree in environmental engineering. literally half of my studies were on water sanitation. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

heck I never gut a deer without the shoulder length gloves too. Just makes my cleanup that much easier. Never been a fan of blood on my steering wheel and all over my gear. It's an easy way to prevent that and then i'm just rinsing out the tailgate (thanks delta sonic). 

you can get a 6 pack for $6 at walmart and they double as a nice bag for heart and liver tucked inside the cavity.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/20-pk-of-gutting-gloves?a=1502173

i just stick to the food processing nitrile gloves. those arm length ones are slippery as all hell to use getting the guts out.

We have Hoffman's Car Wash chain locations here. Went there to clean out the back of the truck from taking deer over the weekend. First pass didn't get a lot of it. Pulled up again and stated the situation. Manager came out, asked what i got for deer, gave me a congrats, then jumped in the back himself with a pressure wand. By the time it was done it was spotless. Owner Tom Hoffman is big into hunting and completed the superslam with a bow. many more sheep too. Always worries me though i'm going to catch hell with being here around city of Albany/the capital.

Edited by dbHunterNY

spot on. No matter what, a good solid freeze is going to kill most bacteria. Additionally 160* is a magic kill everything cooking temp, but most of us probably like our venison a little rare. Practice good food handling and you should never have a food born illness.
a very good listen for all of us wild game chefs
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-191-sicker-than-hell

Actually cooking temp really has nothing to do with it because the bacteria is always on the outside of the meat in that case it doesn’t work it’s way in like Sal Manila or triconosis would