Anyone been on a hunt in Africa?

Rev Ev

I am planning a trip there in a few years and was wondering if anyone around had been and with who?  I am looking to do an extended plains hunt.  I can't afford the big 5 but I can afford to take 21 species on a plains hunt.  Anyway, just looking for some tips and "I wish I had done..." stuff.

I am planning a trip there in a few years and was wondering if anyone around had been and with who?  I am looking to do an extended plains hunt.  I can't afford the big 5 but I can afford to take 21 species on a plains hunt.  Anyway, just looking for some tips and "I wish I had done..." stuff.

Been a couple times.....

Just like anywhere in the world, certain locations hold better trophies than others.......For example 60" moose are in the Yukon; I wouldn't go to Quebec where best examples are 45"; IF I wanted a 60". Same there; Africa is a BIG place. Big Kudu are found in pockets of good habitat in several countries; but run smaller on places where they are introduced.

There are lots of high-fence places in a few countries. Sometimes the acreage fenced is unbelievably huge, BUT others can be smaller......figure out how this effects your ideas of what you will hunt.Free ranging costs more; sometimes ALOT more; BUT you can also find un-fenced for a good price.

Some places are limited to as what dangerous game (DG) are mixed with plains game(PG). If you want a hunt where Lion/Leopard/Elephant/Buff roam with your quarry of PG; make sure you understand where and what areas of what countries hold that; expect to pay more.

A hunt there is more of a total experience, and always can have some ups and downs........things can run on "Africa time", ALOT more laid back compared to our society, you need to be able to go with the flow.

Suggestions;

Book extra days to just hang out in a few areas before and after your hunt. Many of my fondest memories are just hanging with some locals. Also done some good fishing there......fly for trout(yes, trout) bass, tigerfish, yellows, talapia.......This helps with time zone change and is cheap by the day.

One thing is to book one of the major parks before the hunt. Gets you used to spotting game and such. Been to Etosha, Kruger, and Mana pools.......all were fantastic places(Etosha I liked the best in Namibia).

Worth your time to go to either the Dallas Safari Club show or the SCI show to learn and meet outfitters and other hunters who can coach you along; money well spent.

Don't shop price.....book the kind of hunt you want under the style you like. That style can change during the season; early hunts are thick and you'll drive more finding game, later hunts are more open and you can track better; ask what you want and what you are fit to do. Did a tracking hunt for Cape Eland for 14 miles over 12 hours in 90* temps.......best hunt I have EVER done, period.

Once you go......you WILL plan to go back.....it's that cool.

But the real important question is, what about the snakes, and poisonous bugs. I won't even go hunting down south because of those kinds of critters.  :D  I don't go anywhere where the daily regimen includes shaking the poisonous things out of your boots and clothes every morning.....lol.

That all isn't said entirely in jest. I have seen TV shows depicting guys walking through thick chest high grass in Africa. I doubt there is a trophy anything that could coax me into doing that.

Snakes depend on season and terrain......

Most will never see one as the hunting is in their winter for the most part.

I did hunt in some rocky terrain in Namibia that was just prime snake habitat and did have the PH spot one, I did pick up a cool shed skin from the same area.

If white Europeans and N. Americans were dropping dead left and right from bites of nasty critters; no one would go. But about 12,000 a year do......you do have to take care for malaria areas, but meds are easy to take.

I did get a nasty flu on my way home one year......I think I got it in the airport.

The whole point of hunting where a Elephant gets in your way of a stalk is what makes it so cool......To see Leopard prints through camp that were not there the night before.....

Well, if you are scared of something to the point that you can't enjoy a hunt, you are better off staying home..

One night in Alaska 3 of us were butchering a moose by lantern light. One of the fellows ( who was holding the lantern) kept saying .. " What if a grizzly comes in..?? What if we can't find our way back to camp tonite..??"

I finally got tired of listening to him and said " For Pete's sake...Hunting in Alaska isn't for PUSSIES"..

Same deal..If you are paranoid about snakes and bugs, don't go to Africa...If you are paranoid about rifles being made legal for deer hunting, make yourself a concrete bunker to hide in during deer season.

Just out of curiosity, how thick SHOULD that concrete be?

I'd give my left/right (take your pick) nut for a trip over to Africa.  Cape Buffalo would certainly be the #1 priority and then some plains game.  Some good information on African hunting trips can also be found on the 24Hourcampfire.com

For years I really had a desire to go but that has lessened a bit as my kids are getting older and prices are NOT going down!

Maybe someday......................................................

;) ;)

I went in July to South Africa and hunted plains game bow and rifle (brought eight back.) By going in July, it is their "winter." So the temps never got over 80 degrees. F. during the day and kept most of the creepy-crawly things holded-up. One thing...it was so cool (in the 60's on a couple days) the warthogs were not active and that was one of the critters I was after.

Big four-foot lizards would slither off banks into water holes and where water was deep in partially dried up rivers...I don't know if they would bite, but I never gave one the chance to find out.

When I stalked my Gemsbok, I crawled for about 200 yards and it took me a long time...that night I was crawling with ticks of all sorts and sizes...makes my skin itch to think about it.

I didn't get sick, but I only drank water out of one of those Boy Scout water bottles with a 1 micron filter...and of course beer. Over there, Castle is the most popular brand, but I like Lion beer. It is good. 'Course they had Amstel. But after hunting all day, day after day, a beer tasted good, no matter what brand! B)

I went in July to South Africa and hunted plains game bow and rifle (brought eight back.) By going in July, it is their "winter." So the temps never got over 80 degrees. F. during the day and kept most of the creepy-crawly things holded-up. One thing...it was so cool (in the 60's on a couple days) the warthogs were not active and that was one of the critters I was after.

Big four-foot lizards would slither off banks into water holes and where water was deep in partially dried up rivers...I don't know if they would bite, but I never gave one the chance to find out.

When I stalked my Gemsbok, I crawled for about 200 yards and it took me a long time...that night I was crawling with ticks of all sorts and sizes...makes my skin itch to think about it.

I didn't get sick, but I only drank water out of one of those Boy Scout water bottles with a 1 micron filter...and of course beer. Over there, Castle is the most popular brand, but I like Lion beer. It is good. 'Course they had Amstel. But after hunting all day, day after day, a beer tasted good, no matter what brand! B)

Post up some hero shots for those of us that would REALLY like to see them! (of the animals, not the beer!)

Edited by Lawdwaz

Here are some...the Springbok, which is like the South African whitetail to them, I had a lucky shot...through the head at 374 yards, using my .06. (using a bipod.) My ph was saying, "shoot, Oak, shoot..." I knew I'd get drift so I aimed about 4-feet off his butt. The wind was blowing about 40 mph off the Kalahari desert.

I climbed a tree over a water hole to get my warthog with a bow. Like back here. A whole pack of them came in.

The Gemsbok has 40-inch horns. I passed about 12 or os up, including a couple with my bow. I wanted long horns. That's a lot of stalks.

The impala was with a bunch of ewes (does.) I used a Rothhaar Snuffer for a head and it dropped him quick as a whitetail.

I snuck up on some rhino's, two sleeping and a cow with a calf, got good video.

post-245-0-88885700-1315021596_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-09029600-1315021623_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-15366600-1315021653_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-85121000-1315021700_thumb.jpg

• Like 1