Base Layers

When it comes to the base layer that is against your skin Polypropylene is the best material, there is a reason the military chose poly for extreme cold weather underwear for troops. Through stringent testing in a wide variety of conditions it comes out on top. I have for over 50 years wore and used Wool for my hunting outerwear garments, love it and still wear it today but for underwear against the skin poly by far better than wool for wicking moisture away, and moisture is what starts the beginning of getting cold and staying cold. It comes in different weights to suit the temp conditions, the genuine US military issue stuff is the best.

2019-11-06_110719.png

2019-11-06_110759.png

2019-11-06_110838.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Sounds like the wheels of the propaganda machine churning.

I am not someone that jumps on the bandwagon and endorses anything because of something I read somewhere. I have been wearing and using military poly for thirty years, most of my experience using it is not hunting but for every day wear here on my farm all winter long regardless of the sometimes sub zero temperatures and extreme windy conditions. It works by far better than anything else I have tried and I have about tried it all, you can take for what it is worth.

Al

Edited by airedale

I wore it when I was in the service and still do for work tasks around the compound and ice fishing but for hunting it lacks 1 very important property that wool has, it’s cold when wet. When I’m miles from a road or the truck I need to know that if I slip and fall crossing a stream I’m not going to freeze to death wool does this polypropylene doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do not have to worry much about falling into an ice cold stream at this stage of the game, I did have to go for a swim for various reasons a few times back in my Coon hunting days with temps in the 20s. most times I would always take my coat and boots off before taking the plunge. When I got back on dry land and if I had several miles to go to get back to my truck I would stay right where I was and start a fire and strip down buck naked and put on just my coat, I would then hang my clothes over the fire to dry as best as possible, most of the times it would take to daylight for them to be dry enough to wear. 

Al

I do not have to worry much about falling into an ice cold stream at this stage of the game, I did have to go for a swim for various reasons a few times back in my Coon hunting days with temps in the 20s. most times I would always take my coat and boots off before taking the plunge. When I got back on dry land and if I had several miles to go to get back to my truck I would stay right where I was and start a fire and strip down buck naked and put on just my coat, I would then hang my clothes over the fire to dry as best as possible, most of the times it would take to daylight for them to be dry enough to wear. 
Al

Yup, you can do the same with wool or you can just keep on trucking because it will be heavy but it will still be warm.

I wear polypro as a base layer.  I do a lot of sitting.  The stuff is no good when it's wet, so I carry a spare top in a quart ziplock bag in my pack.  It isn't perfect, but it's the best I've found.

Does it wick? I sweat like an animal when walking in no matter how hard I try to take my time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Does it wick? I sweat like an animal when walking in no matter how hard I try to take my time

It wicks beautifully, when doing my chores during the winter I wear the military poly against my skin, then usually a heavy Carhart hoody coat and on top of that a unlined heavy nylon windproof jacket, I am never cold. When I come into the house after finishing the chores and take that nylon jacket off, it and that Carhart is soaked with sweat and looks like someone threw a pail of water on me. The military poly is relatively dry and I am still comfortable.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I wear both minus 33 merino and under armor 4.0.  The latter is made from polyester/elastane.  The wool is warmer in my opinion but both work fine.  The under armor still looks new after 4-5 years.  May be more durable but the wool works even though it looks more worn.  Overall I like the wool a bit more but seem to have the armor on when I kill my buck each season.  So maybe I like the under armor better now that I think about it.  Ha. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It wicks to a point.  For walking/hiking I don't imagine it's ideal.  I wore a polypro top all day while running a wood splitter and loading a cord on a trailer.  It was the perfect base layer.  I get in trouble if I hike too far or too fast.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that wool base layers were very pricey.  I have lots of polypro for work, hunting and ice fishing and it's not that expensive.  

It sounds like wool may be superior, but until I turn into a long distance, big woods, buck tracker, I will probably stick with polypro.

It wicks to a point.  For walking/hiking I don't imagine it's ideal.  I wore a polypro top all day while running a wood splitter and loading a cord on a trailer.  It was the perfect base layer.  I get in trouble if I hike too far or too fast.  
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that wool base layers were very pricey.  I have lots of polypro for work, hunting and ice fishing and it's not that expensive.  
It sounds like wool may be superior, but until I turn into a long distance, big woods, buck tracker, I will probably stick with polypro.

Yeah my concern is getting sweaty on the walk in and then staying wet and getting cold during the four hour sit. I’m going to look for some poly

I wear both minus 33 merino and under armor 4.0.  The latter is made from polyester/elastane.  The wool is warmer in my opinion but both work fine.  The under armor still looks new after 4-5 years.  May be more durable but the wool works even though it looks more worn.  Overall I like the wool a bit more but seem to have the armor on when I kill my buck each season.  So maybe I like the under armor better now that I think about it.  Ha. 

What temps do you wear the 4.0 in? I have 2.0 and 4.0. I used the 4.0 in sub zero temps in Minnesota but I think I only used once in NY. I’m always afraid I’ll be too warm, so I typically wear the 2.0 during cold NY gun deer days

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What temps do you wear the 4.0 in? I have 2.0 and 4.0. I used the 4.0 in sub zero temps in Minnesota but I think I only used once in NY. I’m always afraid I’ll be too warm, so I typically wear the 2.0 during cold NY gun deer days

I wear the 4.0 in anything below 50.  Then add a mid layer if it’s below 40

When still hunting in bitter temps the Cabelas 100% heavyweight wool windshear lined sweater is my favorite second layer over the poly underwear. I wear a lightweight Browning Hells Canyon Jacket over it. I move along very slow so while I do sweat some it is not excessive as when shoveling snow or doing chores.

For stand hunting in the cold I will switch the light Browning out for the good old Woolrich PA Tux parka and pants or sometimes an LL Bean Camo unlined Wool Jacket, yes they are a little heavy but boy they are toasty warm besides I am just sitting most of the time so it is no big deal. 

2019-11-07_082304.png

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If you were in marathoner cardio condition like me, you wouldn’t sweat.  Lol.  Most of my spots are less than 400yds from parking.  

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It's downhill !

I barely ever sweat even if it 100 degrees outside. But I just thought the 4.0 was for extreme cold temps, so I have been worried about using it in moderate temps.

Having used both, I've come to prefer the merino wool base layers.  Stationary, or moving I'm warm and dry.  I layer up or down depending on activity and temps.  Still looking for a way to keep my GD feet warm, though...  Ha.

Tomorrow I make the switch to pack boots

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...