Long day with no happy ending

Otto

crazy stuff happens when you shoot a deer with an arrow. they can have deflection as they pass through, not even get there from a deer's reactive movement, could be quartering more than you realize, or you release in a different spot further off the shoulder than you thought. you did a lot of the right stuff after it went down. happens, you try to learn something from it, and then get back in the game.  make sure you keep that 'T' shaped form by beind at the waist vs dropping bow arm. 15 yards away but 20+ feet up (or depending on how high you were) can be a steep angle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UWShunter said:

Guess we can agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no idea what you're situation is. for all everyone else here knows you've pin wheeled big game that far out countless times. 47 yards is a good poke. need a deer acting right and a stout arrow setup for getting through a mature bucks heavy rib cage that far.  people would be lying to say a 160+ inches buck doesn't tempt someone to stretch there limits. still a bowhunter is either without any doubt they can make the shot or they can't say so, size of antlers has nothing to do with it. hope you get some redemption on a nice buck. good luck this season.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, UWShunter said:

I hear you. But no way was I passing up on a 160 + inch deer. I didn’t travel that far to admire him but to kill him. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on a poll I made I have a lower recovery rate with a bow than most people here, although I consider myself a good shot--and I know for sure I'm a better shot than most archers at my range. I'm consistently accurate at distances I would not try on a deer.

So that said, a 47 yard archery shot on a deer is merely a hail mary pass for all but the very best archers. Unless you're truly a very capable archer (you'll know if you are) and cool under pressure you need to keep your shots shorter. As you have noticed in almost all cases if you do not hit the heart or 1-2 lungs on a deer you will not recover it. It will either die very far away hours/days later with a trail you could not keep on, or end up maimed.

Edited by Core

58 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Otto, Sorry to hear it. Get back at it and good luck. Curious about a couple things. Are you right handed and he was moving left to right?

Hey CCHC, thanks.  I am left handed, and the buck was at a standstill.    No way I am shooting at moving buck with my bow!  :stop:

Well, a nice ending to this buck from last week. My buddy shot him this morning not even 100 yards from where I shot him last week. He is a nice 8 with an offset rack. We just cut him up tonight and found one of my arrow blades inside of him! That must have hurt like heck.
As everyone had surmised, I did not make a killing shot and he was up and around with nose to the ground until about 9am today.
d1f966e51df03e133ad0d15a9ccef1ac.jpg6b2ab9fd75dcb9cdd53a846aab91189a.jpg5c60980987f83316fb9673a134132c17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1