What Deer Management unit do you hunt?

wellsley

4R mostly, some in 3A. Tough hunting in 4R. It's so frustrating there is so much deer sign in the woods but not many deer being seen or taken. The buck I got last season was the only deer I saw during the day after hunting 11 days straight ! I've never put in so much time in the woods to see so few deer. Anyone else having this problem in the West Kill/ Rt. 42 area ?

4R mostly, some in 3A. Tough hunting in 4R. It's so frustrating there is so much deer sign in the woods but not many deer being seen or taken. The buck I got last season was the only deer I saw during the day after hunting 11 days straight ! I've never put in so much time in the woods to see so few deer. Anyone else having this problem in the West Kill/ Rt. 42 area ?

I pass all along route 42 on my way up to my place and there are some very steep spots, lots of shale sidehills. Are you in the bottom or high points of 42? I seen an absolute monster buck 2 years ago strapped to the back of someones quad along 42 while I was driving, from what I saw it had a huge rack.

Yeah the really steep part is called the "Notch" and every year there is a monster taken up on top. The area I hunt is lower, if your traveling north on 42 after that really steep area you'll start coming down the other side of the notch. As you get to the bottom of the valley you'll see a side road on your left called Beech Ridge Rd. I hunt up off of that rd. Jennings hill, Condon Hollow, and that area.

Orion, They still do camp out there on rt.42 on that State Land Parking area. We call it "tent city". I actually know a few of those guys from talking to them at the Mountain Brook. There are to groups that camp there, one is called The Notchmen and the other is Whack'em and Stack'em.

Well I know 42 was closed from the hurricane a week or so ago up at the notch. My buddy who lives there said there was a rock slide but he said that was fixed now. As for this last rain they got I haven't talked to him yet so I'm not sure. But now that you've said that I guess I should call him and make sure all is well.

Yeah the really steep part is called the "Notch" and every year there is a monster taken up on top. The area I hunt is lower, if your traveling north on 42 after that really steep area you'll start coming down the other side of the notch. As you get to the bottom of the valley you'll see a side road on your left called Beech Ridge Rd. I hunt up off of that rd. Jennings hill, Condon Hollow, and that area.

In all the years passing along 42 I have not seen much deer along the roads, but the area your speaking of is alot more promising then the notch as you call it. My uncle tells me that he use to go with an outfit some 40 years ago that wouild take them hunting it was either on or near the notch.and they would use horses as transport.

I'm still trying to find a way to get to my camp being my travels would typically take me through prattsville and from what I hear that town got wiped out?

• 1 month later...