Bought my Super Sportsman & I am super bummed

Geno C

Well i bought my Super sportsman and applied for my doe tags 1st chance 8W second chance 1C, well i always get 1c and i have never been turned down for 8W in whats gotta be the better part od 8 or 9 years. Well low and behold i was turned down for 8W.... The girl at Dicks and i were very shock considering its high this year like always. Anyone have any idea why i would be turned down? i received a preference point also, i never got one before whats it for???

Geno,

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30409.html

This shows the prob as high, but I guess that still can mean you can be denied based on the # of permits avail and the expected # of people to apply for DMP's. Now that you have a preference point you have a higher chance of being selected next year. Even at high it states: more than 2/3 of applicants receive a DMP.

i always fill my doe tag up there. bummed out i wont be able to take a doe this year up there. i have a ton of tags out on the island so its cool but i like to do my part in doe management for the land owner... the preference point is used automatically for next years draw?

I have to have 3 or 4 preference points to have a chance at a dmp in my area. That means donating my 10 bucks every year for 3 or 4 to get a dmp. This year 6a went to landowner of disabled veterans only.

Edited by bubba

Sorry to hear that Geno . Might you be able to get tags when they have the extras later in the season or won't that help . I forget when they have those ---- early November ?

yeah maybe your right Eddie i didnt even think about that... 8w is always high for DMPs. i never would have thought id get turned down

Cant the DMP be used for bow or shotgun season anyway? Or is it strictly only for gun season? i was always under the impression you could fill it with the bow also. I do not bow hunt up there i only go for gun season in 8W.

oh ok got ya... yeah eitherway i would use it for gun up there. oh well i guess i will just have to see about next year. OR see if they have those extra tags. Hopefully someone will start a thread on that again when they hear something...

funny part is my step dad went a weeka after me at the same place and got his DMP. LOl

WTH?

It's a 'lottery' system and random. You could have ten guys in line buying them the same day at the same place and every one of them has the same chance of getting one, or not.