thinkin' new boat in the spring.....

Robhuntandfish

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t know how die hard you are but you do seem to be on the water a lot. A single console in my opinion is the worst option for a fishing boat. It takes up room for the wheel and offers basically no protection from the elements. If I’m going to get cold and wet while I’m running I may as well have the room of a tiller. If you only go out on nice days this isn’t an issue.

Take a day and go sit in that tiller, take your time and think about everything “rod holders, fish finder where you’ll hold your rod while slow trolling etc.” If the salesman is worth a shit he’ll walk away and let you do your thing. It’s even better if they have a similar boat in wheel version there as well so you can get a side by side comparison.

From someone who’s owned about every setup of boat there is I like a single console the least only very slightly behind a center console. In the size you’re looking a dual console will take up too much room unless you’re gonna fish every day you have the chance and don’t care what the weather is doing then giving up that room may be worth it. I think you will really enjoy a tiller for how you fish. You just have to know that you’ll get wet if it’s rough and you’re completely exposed to the elements, hard to put a bimini on a tiller and still be able to fish.

One other thing that you can do with a tiller that can’t be done with a wheel boat is back trolling, probably the most effective way to catch walleyes that are on structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if getting a boat with a wheel def only wanted the minimal single console so to take up less room.  I am not out in the elements for sure but have owned tiller and wheel and the wheel is def more comfortable to operate for me. And yes been wet a few times from a tiller ride.  Just didnt want to pay as much for a tiller as a wheel.  Tiller is an option if less, but also want a decent beam boat and an open setup.  Dont want bench seats and if i go bigger than 25 hp for price i might as well have a wheel. Been ok with those side console as long as the back of boat is open and not decked.  Also wanted the 25 cause if i do troll with it the speed can be lower without the extra things to slow down a 50 hp. Mine has a 40 hp now and wish it went a little slower on troll.  But i am gonna use the trolling motor to troll anyway.  And the way i usually fish is to slowwww troll with the trolling motor and rod in hand. 

This 16 tiller I like is about the only tiller open setup I like at all, but it is up there in weight with #725 dry weight.  Which from all the looking i have done - most 16ft tillers are 600# or under.  My big ass and a couple batteries push it up there.  Although maybe mounting a battery in front will push the front down quicker...  Ive even looked at 25hp performance charts on different boats. 

I am actually looking at taking Monday afternoon off and look at a boat.  Prob the polarkraft cause its closer.  1hr vs 2.5 one way.  The tough part is the tiller rig with a 25 is a big price difference.  IF i knew for sure the 25hp would push that 16 enough and plane - i would def go for that because of price.  But if have to upgrade to a 40 or 50hp I would rather have the wheel and just bite the bullett.  And dont want to be stuck with a rig that wont plane either. Dont care to go fast but def need to make plane.  

tough call with these damn boats.  lol .  And hard to find a spot for a test drive on a boat that isnt in stock or have the right motor on it.  And honestly i am sick of looking for a used setup - been looking for months and nothing fits the bill without a cross country trip just to look.  

and thanks much for the help with this - it is consuming me to figure it out lol - big big purchase for me either way.  My boat works and runs fine.  But this year it will need new batteries, last year freaked me out a little with two drownings on the lake in the same weekend and i am not much on standing on those decks anymore.  My fishing buddy has had hip surgery and he isnt much on it either.  It is tough with my current boat to troll with no open space and was gonna upgrade trolling motors but dont want to upgrade something im not that happy with.   

right now i am leaning with the polar kraft just the price is a kick in the pants.  But know i would be happy with the boat itself.  

We fishermen know what we want in a boat. And what's right for one, is completely wrong for another based on how and what we fish for. Rob, you have done it long enough to know exactly what you want and need! Settle for nothing less! Buy once cry once and you will always be happy out on the water! 

The console steer, is to me the most comfortable with my bad shoulders. And I would always prefer to have a little more HP than to be underpowered. Both of the boats you are leaning towards are nice boats. The only issue you have is deciding what will work the best for YOU. You already know the answer to that better than any of us. Go with exactly what you 'want' and 'need' and perhaps a little more. And don't look back! You will never be sorry!

I have had many different boats over my lifetime. And when it came to my last purchase, I knew what I 'wanted' and 'needed' for what I enjoyed fishing for most....bass. So a pro style bass boat was the answer to me. By the time I got done adding all the gadgets and gizmos I had quite the sticker shock!! BUT.....there is not one time, that I turn the key on that boat when my face doesn't light up in a smile. It fits me perfect. 

That is your decision to make on your new boat purchase my friend. What will fit YOU perfect??? I think you already know.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the pic's of the new rig!

See ya on the water!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thought you bought a used one this year?  But yeah thats what i am thinking this boat will be my next 20 years of fishing 

I did, but that's just a bridge boat to my retirement boat. It's already 20 years old and don't really want a 40 year old boat to try and go to old age with.

I wound up getting no use of that boat this past year. I don't think I ever updated the thread I had going, but I brought it into a local shop who unbeknownst to me was in the midst of some trouble of some sort with his business, and disappeared from the face of the earth for a while. Took me from early August to the end of September just to get it out of his shop. Un-fixed of course, just ripped apart. I winterized it and parked it until Spring.

I'm drooling over the new Tracker boats.

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I did, but that's just a bridge boat to my retirement boat. It's already 20 years old and don't really want a 40 year old boat to try and go to old age with.

I wound up getting no use of that boat this past year. I don't think I ever updated the thread I had going, but I brought it into a local shop who unbeknownst to me was in the midst of some trouble of some sort with his business, and disappeared from the face of the earth for a while. Took me from early August to the end of September just to get it out of his shop. Un-fixed of course, just ripped apart. I winterized it and parked it until Spring.

I'm drooling over the new Tracker boats.

ugh that allllll sucks. Well in the spring - trade in time!    And one of my worries about buying used.  Esp what i am looking at - a lot of those used aluminum walleye boats have been brought thru the Erie and Ontario poundings.  Its like buying a truck someone plowed with.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

ugh that allllll sucks. Well in the spring - trade in time!    And one of my worries about buying used.  Esp what i am looking at - a lot of those used aluminum walleye boats have been brought thru the Erie and Ontario poundings.  Its like buying a truck someone plowed with.

Yeah, I'll have it in the water as soon as I can next year after finishing the repairs myself. By the time I'm done it won't be much of a deal on total cost. Hope to get a good year or two before thinking of upgrading. 

The best luck I've had on the 7 boats I've owned were on the 2 new ones. But oh, the cost these days! I had a 4Winns 20 foot 205 hp cuddy that I bought new in '87. It was $13k with trailer. Same boat today is in the $40's

Edited by Steuben Jerry

And those pounding can be pretty severe!
I run a smaller 16' side console with a 40hp on Erie and have had a few days I felt like I was going to lose my molars on the ride back to the harbor. Lady Erie can turn on you in a moment's notice, and it's a lake for the faint of heart.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And those pounding can be pretty severe!
I run a smaller 16' side console with a 40hp on Erie and have had a few days I felt like I was going to lose my molars on the ride back to the harbor. Lady Erie can turn on you in a moment's notice, and it's a lake for the faint of heart.

Not all !!! You witnessed for yourself a very, very hairy day on Erie. She was angry. If, and I mean IF we pounded 1-3 waves that was alot. My boat is 30 years old and not a rivet is loose.

Would you buy my boat from me ? She has seen 8'rs on Ontario ... And is not beat.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not all !!! You witnessed for yourself a very, very hairy day on Erie. She was angry. If, and I mean IF we pounded 1-3 waves that was alot. My boat is 30 years old and not a rivet is loose.

Would you buy my boat from me ? She has seen 8'rs on Ontario ... And is not beat.

Ole' Blue is 35 years old and has many many hours on Erie......I grew up 1 mile from the launch and currently only live a few miles from Buffalo or Sturgeon. When I was 16 and working nights i ran that boat daily no matter the weather for the day.

My side console is also alot shallower than your sea nymph.....and that comboed with a few feet shorter in my opinion = harder beatings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

The right boat for sure. Your rig is def made for that!   But wasn't it you that was telling me how one came apart out there?  Have heard it before though, maybe it was just a bad boat issue.  Plus you sure knew what you were doing out there. And you take care of your stuff. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

this is the leader right now.   Starcraft 16 SC DLX - can transfer my motor to it.  For price and what i want - I think this is gonna fit the bill.  Getting quotes etc but hoping it works out.  Upgrading my trolling motor system for sure with an autopilot and foot control and 24V system.  But no back deck is a definite. tmp18032_9098.jpg?itok=k4ecWEZn

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

this is the leader right now.   Starcraft 16 SC DLX - can transfer my motor to it.  For price and what i want - I think this is gonna fit the bill.  Getting quotes etc but hoping it works out.  Upgrading my trolling motor system for sure with an autopilot and foot control and 24V system.  But no back deck is a definite. tmp18032_9098.jpg?itok=k4ecWEZn

Nice! Is livewell and storage all up front?

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

Nice! Is livewell and storage all up front?

Livewell and storage in front and there is a storage area in the floor as well.  Like buckmaster said - less along the sides = more open space.  And Andrew says it "looks like a good dance floor" lol.  

I dont tend to store a lot of gear on the boat and lifevests are always out and over the seats.  So other than emergency equipment and a little fishing gear - should be enough and have fishing space. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Livewell and storage in front and there is a storage area in the floor as well.  Like buckmaster said - less along the sides = more open space.  And Andrew says it "looks like a good dance floor" lol.  

I dont tend to store a lot of gear on the boat and lifevests are always out and over the seats.  So other than emergency equipment and a little fishing gear - should be enough and have fishing space. 

Being able to work from the gunnels, with no obstructions, will be so much easier!! And from all you have described in what you want in a new boat, this one fits the bill perfectly! Hope you work a sweet deal! Winter is a great time to buy a boat. Good luck my friend.

• Like 1

this is the leader right now.   Starcraft 16 SC DLX - can transfer my motor to it.  For price and what i want - I think this is gonna fit the bill.  Getting quotes etc but hoping it works out.  Upgrading my trolling motor system for sure with an autopilot and foot control and 24V system.  But no back deck is a definite. tmp18032_9098.jpg?itok=k4ecWEZn&key=d9f1de40dd1d0f61da2e35c2bc87d052559994312f2471cd0ba80ec799bf7684

That looks like a winner! Even tho it has a steering wheel . For a smaller boat that has plenty of dance floor for 2 guys and it will be easy to mount downriggers when you get sick of catching those lazy eyes.

I’ve owned Starcrafts all my life and they’re great boats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

def like this setup - can store rods on one side and net on the other.  Gonna take my 2 rod holders off boat and install on this one on those back edges.   I dont go anywhere but Oneida and eye fish these days since lake is 200 yards from house and launch is across the street.  Also small enough i can still fish the canal for eyes and bass when its too rough on the lake.  

• Like 2