Two cameras out..... 2 weeks.... 360 pics....

Grizz1219

Columbia county.... biggest buck on camera is a 4 pointer... a couple of spikes... 1 unicorn buck... and the rest does.. I don't know if the new regs will change this or not.. but staus quo sucks in Eastern NY... No DMP tags in my area... Based on my cameras it's a 15:1 doe to buck ratio... and this early mature bucks would be mobile and on camera... Anyone else have no mature deer to even hope for in their area??? My only hope is a mature buck on posted property comes over for the does on this farm...

Don't let it discourage you man, the deer have been acting weird for the past 2 weeks around here. I haven't got a SINGLE big buck on my cameras for a while now, when before I had a real big boy poking in at my apple tree spot at least once a week. I think they've switched over to beech nuts/mast for a bit with all the weird weather. Try moving your camera's, thats what I did on Monday. Switched one to a hard wood choke point, and the other to an oats field that got knocked flat by Irene.

This may sound crazy, turn off your cameras. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in how the hunting will be based solely on trail cameras. I don't own a single trail cam and yet I know there will be at least some decent bucks around in all of my spots. I suspect I am in the minority though as far as not having a camera.

I know they are in the "close to home" pattern... just frustrating at times... Hoping when they get hard horned they will move more and farther.... Thanks for the support.. going this weekend to do more scouting.. set up another blind, get another stand set up... doing this all based on the does... hoping the bucks will come to them....

This may sound crazy, turn off your cameras. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in how the hunting will be based solely on trail cameras. I don't own a single trail cam and yet I know there will be at least some decent bucks around in all of my spots. I suspect I am in the minority though as far as not having a camera.

Or maybe people should just go out and look for the deer themselves if they really want to see them so badly. I vacationed with my family in the Poconos a couple of weeks ago. It was an area I had never been in before, yet I was able to see and photograph some nice deer. Some examples below.

post-328-0-56948000-1315408852_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-41834300-1315408914_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-14513100-1315408942_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-54094800-1315408966_thumb.jpg

2600!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!! Any good bucks???

a few decent ones, nothing really big. this area i have the cam in is predominantly a bedding area for does. which the nice bucks dont seem to cruise through until the rut starts to kick off. when the rut comes its a great place to be

my other cams in other spots and areas have produced some pics of some giants. But its all irrelevant really... just shows you whats around, doesnt mean you will even see them in day light hours or even at all. once the velvet comes off they are different animals and those bachelor groups tend to break up. hopefully i can score opening weekend on one doing what hes been doing for the past few weeks