Which wicked hunting light system to get

You really need both a head lamp for scanning and gun light for killing if hunting solo.  It will suck trying to scan with the gun and you can't kill with a headlamp only.  I opted for the system that also switched between red-green-white.  They are good tracking lights in white even for deer. 

This is kit I bought but I think I found it for under $300.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/wicked-hunting-lights-a67ic-scanpro-ic-3-color-in-1-night-hunting-light-and-head.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&msclkid=770530d0024e13daf59b6d2a4ca35074&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=All Products>Shopping&utm_term=4585307089110257&utm_content=Products

Edited by moog5050

Or just go thermal and screw the lights!  But it will run a bit more than $300.
I can't afford to go thermal just yet. Since it will have to be utilized outside of Westchester and my land options for outside in rifle area are limited to going out with others. For now I just use shotgun for coyotes but for the contest with chef gotta get some light action going

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

I can't afford to go thermal just yet. Since it will have to be utilized outside of Westchester and my land options for outside in rifle area are limited to going out with others. For now I just use shotgun for coyotes but for the contest with chef gotta get some light action going

Just so you know, if you are hunting cover vs. field, lights are really tough.  They reflect off everything.

18 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

You can hunt DEP lands in Putnam County with a rifle outside of deer season. My Dad and I used to hunt Lockwood, California Hill, etc. We would usually get there at like 10-11pm and hunt till 2am. We always left a note on the dashboard saying we were hunting coyotes at night just in case anyone wondered why a car was parked there so late. 

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

You can hunt DEP lands in Putnam County with a rifle outside of deer season. My Dad and I used to hunt Lockwood, California Hill, etc. We would usually get there at like 10-11pm and hunt till 2am. We always left a note on the dashboard saying we were hunting coyotes at night. 
Oh! I did not know this! You just increased my opportunity to utilize a light!

Just now, The Jerkman said:

Oh! I did not know this! You just increased my opportunity to utilize a light!

Yup. It was pretty cool on a fresh snow night with full moon. Especially walking out and seeing fresh tracks where we called in critters but never seen them

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Looking to get one of the wicked lights kits

I personally can't stand the head mounted lights. The constant moving your head back and forth just doesn't work for me. I bought one of these  in red before the three color came out.https://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/w403ic-predator-pursuit-pack

You can mount one to the gun and use the other to shine. Whatever you buy I would invest in one(or two ) of these gun clamps instead of the mount that comes with the Wicked. These are very versatile and make it very simple to put a light on any gun in a matter of seconds.

Thermal is nice and I use one for scanning but they tend to be a little bit heavy mounted on a gun. I try to go as light as possible and have no desire to be carrying more weight the necessary.

There are lot "cheaper" options to the wicked if you are only going to be an occasional hunter.

Flashlight-Laser-Rifle-Scope-Light-Clamp-Dual-Hole-Gun-Mount.jpg

I personally can't stand the head mounted lights. The constant moving your head back and forth just doesn't work for me. I bought one of these  in red before the three color came out.https://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/w403ic-predator-pursuit-pack
You can mount one to the gun and use the other to shine. Whatever you buy I would invest in one(or two ) of these gun clamps instead of the mount that comes with the Wicked. These are very versatile and make it very simple to put a light on any gun in a matter of seconds.
 Thermal is nice and I use one for scanning but they tend to be a little bit heavy mounted on a gun. I try to go as light as possible and have no desire to be carrying more weight the necessary.
There are lot "cheaper" options to the wicked if you are only going to be an occasional hunter.

Flashlight-Laser-Rifle-Scope-Light-Clamp-Dual-Hole-Gun-Mount.jpg.45c3d82b226285e441d1e2b871ca8a12.jpg
Ahh so that's the difference between the 67ic and the 403ic the only difference being one led housing thing and turning the nob vs having to swap the whole housing for each color? Guess I'll go with 67ic if that's their latest and greatest option.

OR..Another option.......you can just get a headlamp for scanning eyes and use digital night vision for shooting (rifle) ie. sightmark wraith scopes or atn scopes.
Well night vision would be super sweet but I don't got the kind of float that I can happily light on for one of those just yet. Still plan on using the gun at the range too

Get the wicked lights scan pro kit. I think its 403ic or 67ic kit. Comes with gun light, and head lamp for scanning. and all the extra goodies you need. I had a kit, and bought one from a member here last fall. All in one package. works great. I run NV(sightmark wraith) now so i just swapped the bulb out for an IR bulb 

I also now use a bushnell NV monocular with external IR light for scanning. 

Edited by LET EM GROW

Get the wicked lights scan pro kit. I think its 403ic or 67ic kit. Comes with gun light, and head lamp for scanning. and all the extra goodies you need. I had a kit, and bought one from a member here last fall. All in one package. works great. I run NV(sightmark wraith) now so i just swapped the bulb out for an IR bulb 
I also now use a bushnell NV monocular with external IR light for scanning. 

How do you like the sightmark? I looked at atn but apparently they are not so hot

Oh it's decided gonna get the top end wicked and then also be able to zip it to my shotgun to hopefully increase my odds of smoking a coyote in the wee hours before sunrise and a tad after sundown

Stormy has a mounting system for your light/shotgun. Field tested with one shot so you know it'll last.

• Like 1

Oh it's decided gonna get the top end wicked and then also be able to zip it to my shotgun

Just to clarify you won't be able to zip tie the wicked because the bezel is considerably larger than the light pictured. You will need a barrel mount which I believe will come with the wicked. You do not need a 500-600  yard light on a shotgun.

Just to clarify you won't be able to zip tie the wicked because the bezel is considerably larger than the light pictured. You will need a barrel mount which I believe will come with the wicked. You do not need a 500-600  yard light on a shotgun.
I don't disagree one bit on that. The wicked would be predominantly for when I hunt outside of Westchester

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

How do you like the sightmark? I looked at atn but apparently they are not so hot

I have been thru the entire gammit from gun lights and headlamps up through and including thermal scanners used with gen 2+ white phosphor scopes. The easiest, cheapest and most effective way to get in the game is to use a headlamp for scanning and a digital day/night scope i.e. sightmark wraith on a rifle. For night shot gunning i would mount a light on the shotgun and use a headlamp to scan. The sightmark wraith has about a 200 yard range at night Using the included ir scope light. It is a full color scope when using it during day hours. It also records video but no audio. I have 3 rifles set up for night hunting. 1 with a sightmark xt scope (their original digital night vision scope) 2nd one has the wraith on it, and last one has thew the 750 marauder gen 2+ white phosphor scope with a sniper hog ir gun light. I use the headlamp for finding shot critters and a thermal monocular for scanning. I only use my shotgun when calling in the woods or heavy cover during daylight hours. I slso use a foxpro fx3 electronic caller. A lucky duck revolt caller, and a wildlife tech caller along with hand calls. My rifles carry bipods, or i use shooting sticks or tripods depending on tbe type of terrain and hunting i may be doing. Hope this info helps some of what kind of gear to get/use.

• Like 2

I have been thru the entire gammit from gun lights and headlamps up through and including thermal scanners used with gen 2+ white phosphor scopes. The easiest, cheapest and most effective way to get in the game is to use a headlamp for scanning and a digital day/night scope i.e. sightmark wraith on a rifle. For night shot gunning i would mount a light on the shotgun and use a headlamp to scan. The sightmark wraith has about a 200 yard range at night Using the included ir scope light. It is a full color scope when using it during day hours. It also records video but no audio. I have 3 rifles set up for night hunting. 1 with a sightmark xt scope (their original digital night vision scope) 2nd one has the wraith on it, and last one has thew the 750 marauder gen 2+ white phosphor scope with a sniper hog ir gun light. I use the headlamp for finding shot critters and a thermal monocular for scanning. I only use my shotgun when calling in the woods or heavy cover during daylight hours. I slso use a foxpro fx3 electronic caller. A lucky duck revolt caller, and a wildlife tech caller along with hand calls. My rifles carry bipods, or i use shooting sticks or tripods depending on tbe type of terrain and hunting i may be doing. Hope this info helps some of what kind of gear to get/use.

Sounds like my best bet for the current situation then may be to get headlamp and light that way I can keep the scope I was planning to put on it (Leupold vx-1 3-9x40) which is currently on the 458 and swap that for the strike eagle I was gonna throw on the 223 and then I can still use the light on the 223 for the shotgun if I want to do dark night hunting locally. Might be the most cost effective way for the time being. Still got a wedding and honeymoon to deal with come June

6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Sounds like my best bet for the current situation then may be to get headlamp and light that way I can keep the scope I was planning to put on it (Leupold vx-1 3-9x40) which is currently on the 458 and swap that for the strike eagle I was gonna throw on the 223 and then I can still use the light on the 223 for the shotgun if I want to do dark night hunting locally. Might be the most cost effective way for the time being

Yes, that is the easiest way to start. If you like it and end up doing more of it you can aways upgrade your gear. When upgrading i would first upgrade to a thermal monocular as you will see a huge difference in success. My thermal xq23v can detect heat sources as far as 875 yards and lets me know something is out there other than just catching eyes by scanning. Next upgrade would be a digital night vision scope or real night vision  or thermal scope if you like this type of hunting enough. There is no shortage of upgrade paths or $ you can invest in the sport...lol. any ?'s feel free to ask...like i said i been thru it all...almost.