Noob question

Caveman

I'm a noob to muzzleloading, last year was my first year with one and my first deer with one. I was wondering though do you think the pyrodex pellets I bought last year will still be good this year even though I didn't store it in a humidity controlled environment? Or am I going to have to buy a new supply?

i've had the same two boxes of pellets for three years and they shoot fine. just don't leave them in the gun for any length of time. i learned this the hard way. last year, i kept my pellets and bullet in the gun for two weeks between hunting trips. the gun was kept in my garage. when i pulled the trigger on a small buck on my last day in the woods in late december, i got a small smoke cloud, a pfffft sound, and watched the bullet travel about three feet- then watched the deer trot away. condensation.... duh. i'll never make that mistake again.

correct me if i am wrong, but it is commom practice to leave the powder and sabot in the gun from the first time u load it until you shoot it at a deer or until the end of the season. (at least that's what i have heard from a few people...) Thus far, I wlak in to the woods with the powder and sabot in the gun and walk out empty.

with my Hawkin I have gone days with the same load if its dry out... after a snowy or damp day I usually unload the gun... I have been known to put a little powder behind the nipple, which I'm sure isn't common practice but it will get the gun to fire if you forgot to reload and you still have yesterdays load in.. just a tiny bit though you don't want to shoot you eye out

Edited by nyantler

i have always after the day in the woods unscrew the nipple and unload the gun. to me any powder(pellet) and bullet in the gun IS LOADED TO ME. that is just my thought and good practice in my mind. i would hate to think it is not loaded and accidentally double load.

lets face some morning we all have days we do not think straight in the heat of the moment, or just plain excitement. better safe than sorry i always say.

Muzzleloading in the adirondacks a couple years ago we all were at our vehicles and the DEC pulled up and checked everyone of our guns to make sure it was unloaded and no priner in them. For some unknown reason we all unloaded before we came out to eat lunch. Normally we would of just safely stored our ML and head back in after lunch. I asked him why the heck it was illegal we were just taking a break and he said your ML are leaning against the vehicle and if they werent I would never have checked them. I thought it was odd and he made the statement that in, on, leaning against or near the vehicle was illegal if loaded and that even just a primer in it was considered loaded. Never questioned it further.

i would hate to think it is not loaded and accidentally double load.

something I have always done with my ML is mark the rod. I know when I drop it down the barrel and it is at that line it is loaded and I also know the charge is fully seated. It is a quick check and very easy to confirm that all is ok. Strange things can happen in the heat of a second follow up shot and I like the abiility to visually see that is is all the way down.

• 1 month later...