NY Senate Committee Hearing

So, are you saying that you expect the city areas that you hunt to be now open to crossbows during bow season?

By the way, I heard that crossbow safety training will now be entered into the hunter safety courses as part of the requirement for hunting with crossbows. Do you suppose that stuff will be grandfathered in for existing licensed hunters or will there be a requirement to take additional training before you can use a crossbow for hunting? Has anybody heard how they are going to handle that part of it all? Any theories??? 

Doc

Yes, I expect if the bill is signed into law, you will be able to crossbow hunt in archery only areas. Why wouldnt you? If you read the bill, it talks about the safety requirements.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bill that is on the Gov's desk only allows crossguns during the regular and ML seasons. Therefore, I would interpret that to me no xgun in any of the archery seasons. But thats just my understanding of it.

The bill that is on the Gov's desk only allows crossguns during the regular and ML seasons. Therefore, I would interpret that to me no xgun in any of the archery seasons. But thats just my understanding of it.

For the time being but when the bill gets signed , the Cross-guns will get into the archery season ......It's just a matter of time .

I didnt say archery seasons, I said archery only areas. Most archery only areas exist in places where the discharge of firearms isnt allowed, so since a crossbow is not a firearm, you will be able to use them there. It may even be spelled out in the bill, when I get a chance Ill re-read it.

For the time being but when the bill gets signed , the Cross-guns will get into the archery season ......It's just a matter of time .

I agree

I agree

Crossbows will be included soon.

Crossguns will have to wait until they are invented. ;D

I didnt say archery seasons, I said archery only areas. Most archery only areas exist in places where the discharge of firearms isnt allowed, so since a crossbow is not a firearm, you will be able to use them there. It may even be spelled out in the bill, when I get a chance Ill re-read it.

Actually, I believe that conservation law that applies to firearms also applies to bows unless specifically excluded or differentiated with appropriate language. So it is possible that bowhunting only areas will still apply only to bows until somebody adds crossbows. It all depends on the language of the laws involving archery only areas. Now, whether that is merely accomplished by some verbal agreement or whether there are actual laws that need to have their language amended I really don't know. Again, it just may be something that has slipped through the cracks and not been thought of.

I have to admit that I am not familiar with the laws regulating archery only areas. I've never hunted them, and probably never will, and so I have never read anything about fine points of hunting in those areas. That's why I asked the question. Actually, I'm not sure just how thoroughly the new law has been gone over and how much of what we may consider to be logical has even been thought of regarding the implementation of crossbows. So I just thought I would ask to see if anyone has run across some of those details and seen such things actually written down.

Doc

Actually, I believe that conservation law that applies to firearms also applies to bows unless specifically excluded or differentiated with appropriate language. So it is possible that bowhunting only areas will still apply only to bows until somebody adds crossbows. It all depends on the language of the laws involving archery only areas. Now, whether that is merely accomplished by some verbal agreement or whether there are actual laws that need to have their language amended I really don't know. Again, it just may be something that has slipped through the cracks and not been thought of.

I have to admit that I am not familiar with the laws regulating archery only areas. I've never hunted them, and probably never will, and so I have never read anything about fine points of hunting in those areas. That's why I asked the question. Actually, I'm not sure just how thoroughly the new law has been gone over and how much of what we may consider to be logical has even been thought of regarding the implementation of crossbows. So I just thought I would ask to see if anyone has run across some of those details and seen such things actually written down.

Doc

Actually, it will most likely depend on the individual areas, since there is no set law in place governing archery only areas. I re-read the bill, but it doesnt specify anything on archery only areas, only what seasons a crossbow can be used in. I dont see why they would exclude them from archery only areas, thats the only way they will make any type of an impact on the deer herd short of allowing them into archery season.