Questions Questions Questions

Joec1882

Hey, my buddy and I are just getting into Turkey, first season. We headed out to Hoosick, NY for day 1 around 6 am. We called constantly, using mouth, friction and box calls. None of which are perfected. We sat in each spot for roughly an hour an called then got on the move. We called and called in each spot with nothing. We had a rainy morning, heavy at times so were not sure if that was the issue, or if it was us.

Any help on how we should approach this would be great. Should we start at 6 AM? Should we both be calling contantly? Should we stick to 1 call and work it slowly? How often should we call? Alos, we were in the heart of the woods for the majority of the hunt, is this ideal? Or should we move to the outskirts and/or fields? Again, any pointers, direction or websites to visit would be appreciated.

Thanks

fall hunting is different than spring hunting where calling is more important.. Fall hunting is lookng for scratchings in the leaves...a lot will mean a big flock you can tell the direction the birds are going in by looking at the leaves they throw behind them head in that direction to try to catch up to them. are there a lot of scratchings of different ages? if there are that may be a good place to sit and call using lost yelps and keekee runs. If you find a flock its best to try to break them up then you can call them back easily. if you spot a flock out in a field you can try to get ahead of them and call again with lost yelps and kee kee runs. The N.W.T.F has a web site and you may find some tips there.. fall hunting usually entails a lot of walking to find the birds. If you do happen to see some late in the day an early morning flush from the roost may be the ticket. if you know a roost area that is a good place in the mornings. or evenings waiting for them to come back to the area

Being in the woods at dawn is important in the fall. Because that is the time when you are most apt to hear birds on the roost.. The fall flocks usually do some talking before they fly down and this gives you a chance to move in and bust them off the roost..After which you can settle in and call birds trying to re-group with the flock.

After flydown time, it's a matter of covering ground, trying to find a flock to scatter...If you find an area with LOTS of fresh scratching. it is worth spending some time blind calling. Sometimes you can call up a whole flock, and you NEVER know when you may encounter a lonely bird that has been separated from the the flock that may respond to your calling and come right in..

Simple strings of hen yelps work as well as anything.. Good luck..

Turkey are uneasy in the woods during rain ...they can't hear trouble coming as well ....so they hit the open ground....the guys are right you need to look where they are feeding in the woods....but if your not use to calling and not sure what calls are really what...I personally wouldn't go for the breaking up flocks to call in ...but rather watch and try to head them off...sit and listen to the wild birds talking this helps tremendously in your own calling....look for roosting tree which means keep and eye out for lots of droppings under trees with sturdy limbs and be in the woods at dusk...they make a bit of noise going to roost....then set up on them before light the next morning...good luck have fun.....

I'm amazed how little light they fly down in the fall mornings. No light in the east sky at all, and hear turkeys flying down hitting the ground. Once you her them, you never forget the sound. They fly into the trees at dusk and roost above our heads, sometimes making the treestands sway.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Turkeys are everywhere during the fall on my property... flocks of 30-50 usually... I hunt them with bo only during the spring and fall... just to make it a bit more of a challenge.. I have yet to kill one with my bow... so I guess thats challenging enough.. lol

My best experience was hunting them with dogs in Candor NY.. the dogs find the birds and bust up the flocks then you go and call the birds back in... it was a riot

• 2 weeks later...